Profile for David Portas > Reviews

Content by David Portas

David Portas (Stockton-on-Tees, Teesside United Kingdom)

Underwater Sunshine (Or What We Did On Our Summer Vacation)
Underwater Sunshine (Or What We Did On Our Summer Vacation)
Offered by Assai-uk

1.0 out of 5 stars Very dissapointing album of cover songs, 14 Aug. 2014
I own all previous Counting Crows albums so bought this as it had reasonable reviews. PErsonally, I think this is a very disappointing album of middle of the road and in many cases very obscure cover songs. Very country-music based, lacks the usual Counting Crows edginess. Have heard a rumour of a new studio album due out in the Autumn and I only hope that it doesn't sound like this.

Disappointed of Middlesbrough, England.

Staind
Staind
Offered by MediaMerchants

1.0 out of 5 stars a (backward) step back in time, 8 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Staind (Audio CD)
Perhaps its a cultural thing, but staind have in my opinion 'sold out' to the thirst for noise that seems to grip american rock culture. Break the Cycle and 14 Shades provided a subtle blend of musical genius with raw passion, whereas Staind's latest album symply regresses back to their Dysfunctional days. Minimal melody, minimal harmony, minimal thought, maximum noise. The bonus DVD even shows that the band were cutting corners in order to meet corporate deadlines. Lazy, lazy, lazy. A (backward) step back in time. Dissappointed of England.

Division [Us Import]
Division [Us Import]
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 years in one word...SUPERB, 13 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Division [Us Import] (Audio CD)
I'm a huge fan of Staind and Cold but have been desperately trying to find new music to listen to. I bought this on the recommendation of the Amazon review I read and can confirm this is the best band I have heard for years. Not dissimilar to 30 seconds from Mars or Three Days Grace - only much much better. Superb blend of acoustic intros, mellow vocals and heavy riffs. I've also bought their other CD 'Autumn Effect' and that's pretty much the same. If you like bands like Cold, Staind, etc then you MUST buy this. It's 10/10 all the way through.

Hard Candy
Hard Candy
Offered by DVD Overstocks

3.0 out of 5 stars A further drift towards middle fo the road, 28 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Hard Candy (Audio CD)
Having read the other reviews of Hard Candy I seem to be in the minority as I feel it is another example of how one of the worlds most talented rock bands, seem to be slipping rapidly towards bland middle-of-the-road country music.

August and Everything was one of the finest albums ever made, containing semi-grunge mellow rock with beatiful melodies and lyrics. The follow-up, Recovering the Satellites, was more electric but nonetheless a powerful sequel. Sadly I found Desert Life fairly uninspiring and Hard Candy has continued the drift away from edgy emotional rock to, dare I say it, american middle-aged blandness. Make no mistake, there are some good tracks on the album, but as a fan I have begun to question the direction the band are going in. Come on Adam - get angry again. You know you want to !

Everybody Down
Everybody Down
Offered by Discount CDs

5.0 out of 5 stars Matthew - best new album for years, 29 July 2004
This review is from: Everybody Down (Audio CD)
I first read about this debut album in The Times music review section when it was originally released. They gave it a top score and I have to agree. This is rock at it's best...building fom tuneful and melodic openings into harmonic power-packed finishes.
The production quality is superb, lyrics excellent and musically I think it stands out alonside Counting Crows' "August and Everything" and Pureessence at their best.
I've written this review simply because I have been trawling the net for ages trying to find out if they have released a second CD...I can only hope they have.