Profile for judy smith > Reviews

judy smith

The House at Midnight
The House at Midnight

5.0 out of 5 stars a good story, well written and very atmospheric, 19 May 2014
Once I got into this book, I became hooked and couldn't put it down. It is a really good, atmospheric story. The characters and the disintegration of their friendship is well written and is set, for the most part, in a large, isolated house, The author describes the oppressive atmosphere of the house very well and although there are no ghosts wandering around, it is still quite creepy.

Silence
Silence

2.0 out of 5 stars Did not manage to finish it, 22 April 2014
This review is from: Silence (Kindle Edition)
If there was an exciting finish or a shocking revelation as to why she had stopped speaking I can't really say as I got bored with the build up and gave up. I would not recommend this book.

Buried Secrets
Buried Secrets

3.0 out of 5 stars A horror story set in Cornwall, 22 April 2014
This review is from: Buried Secrets (Kindle Edition)
A standard battle between good and evil, I wasn't really gripped by the story. Plenty of blood and violence, the book starts off okay with some spooky bits and some originality but then goes off the boil. The gate to hell in the cellar and the martyr priest doesn't really do it for me.

Sleep Tight
Sleep Tight

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 22 April 2014
This review is from: Sleep Tight (Kindle Edition)
Loved this book as the villain was so believable. Very cleaver plot, I was gripped until the end. I have already recommended this book to my friends

Behind Closed Doors
Behind Closed Doors

5.0 out of 5 stars keeps you guessing until the end, 22 April 2014
One of those books where you can't work out what is going on until you get to the end. Really enjoyable read. Basically, a story about sexual obsession, it starts off a bit slow but towards the end I just couldn't put it down.

Hold My Hand
Hold My Hand

5.0 out of 5 stars Chiller, 27 Oct 2013
This review is from: Hold My Hand (Kindle Edition)
I love a good ghost story and this is now one of my favourites. I was totally engrossed in this story which is set in the present day with the main character, who is a victim of domestic violence, about to get evicted from her London flat. In order to escape the constant harassment from her estranged husband she moves with her young daughter to an isolated house in rural Cornwall where she takes a job as housekeeper. The story of the house and its former occupants unfolds throughout the book. If the ghost doesn't scare you the psychotic husband certainly will.

The Blackheath Seance Parlour
The Blackheath Seance Parlour

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 27 Oct 2013
Loved this book, I couldn't put it down. The plot revolves around the sibling rivalry between two barmy sisters with a drink problem who come up with an outrageous plan to save their failing business. This book has everything, its shocking, scary, sad, and funny. This is an unusual book as there are several layers to it. The historical part really gives you a feeling for the time and place, a lot of research must have gone into it. I found the description of Bedlam particularly disturbing. Each of the three main female characters are believable and the reader learns about their lives as the story unfolds. The disintegration of the relationship between the sisters, the ghostly happenings at the séance parlour and the gothic horror story which one of the sisters manages to write, makes this book a really good read.

Human Remains
Human Remains

5.0 out of 5 stars a good page turner, gave me the creeps, 21 Aug 2013
This review is from: Human Remains (Kindle Edition)
Great book, enjoyed reading this, found it believable and creepy. Also had a good ending. I would recommend this book.

Apartment 16
Apartment 16

1.0 out of 5 stars too far fetched to be scary. More silly than creepy. I got bored and didn't finish the book., 21 Aug 2013
This review is from: Apartment 16 (Kindle Edition)
over the top and overly descriptive. For a book to be scary its got to capture the imagination. I would not recommend this book.

Dark Matter: A Ghost Story
Dark Matter: A Ghost Story

5.0 out of 5 stars spooky, I like the original storyline, well written and a good page turner., 21 Aug 2013
spooky ghost story, very atmospheric. Enjoyed this book and read it very quickly. Scary without being gory. Would recommend this book.