Profile for Sergei Ostroumov > Reviews

Vivobarefoot Mens Trail Freak M 3M Mesh Running Shoes
Vivobarefoot Mens Trail Freak M 3M Mesh Running Shoes
Price: 67.00 - 89.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Natural Born Running?, 20 Jun 2014
Before i go any further, the answer to this question is a resounding 'Yes'!
As a 54 year old, I've been running all my life, since the age of 6. I'd always believed that there was only one way to run - put on a pair of shoes or boots and do it - forgetting (until I saw a colleague 2 winters ago wearing wierd looking toed Vibram barefoot shoes) that there is an alternative. As kids how did we run on the beach or on those rare summer days outdoors when temperatures may have soared to 22 degrees? Of course we can run barefooted!
I decided to turn back to nature, did a little research and decided to give Vivobarefoot a try. One of my better decisions in recent years! I have recently purchased a pair of Breathos for lunchtime running and have just ordered the Freaks for home use at the weekend.
To put it in a nutshell, barefoot running is great - it is faster, it is more kinetically efficient, and above all it is more enjoyable! There is a real enhanced sense of freedom - I am confident that this is not just novelty fooling our tired, jaundiced consumer senses.
But there are some points to consider. The first is shoe sizing. Whereas I firmly recommend taking one size larger with Salomon shoes, I do not support the assertions of some reviewers that Vivos are lasted on the small size. I checked with Isaac in SportshoesUnlimited - he advised taking my normal shoe size. However, the essence of barefoot running is the requirement to modify one's lifelong running style. This is not difficult but it does require some thought and application. Watch the videos and remember that posture (a much more upright attitude with a fixed, immobile head) is the very key. And follow the advice of those who know - ease into this new way to move gradually and progressively. I raced away doing 3 times the recommended introductory distance and suffered from chronic calf strain for over a week!
My Freaks are well made, they look good (I guess this matters), they feel good (much more important) and they handle off-road trails with ease where in the past my conventional road shoes performed like a dying juggernaut on slicks.
I just wish I could have had them 30 years ago. At least I will have them for the next 30!

Vivobarefoot Mens Breatho Trail M Trail Running Shoes
Vivobarefoot Mens Breatho Trail M Trail Running Shoes
Price: 40.01 - 75.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to Nature!, 13 Jun 2014
I decided to turn back to nature, did a little research and decided to give Vivobarefoot a try. One of my better decisions in recent years! I have just ordered a pair of Freaks for home use whilst I will leave my Breathos in the office.
But there are some points to consider. The first is shoe sizing. Whereas I firmly recommend taking one size larger with Salomon shoes, I do not support the assertions of some reviewers that Vivos are lasted on the small size. I checked with Isaac in SportshoesUnlimited - he advised taking my normal shoe size. Not only was he right but he was also prompt, professional and polite! However, the essence of barefoot running is the requirement to modify one's lifelong running style. This is not difficult but it does require some thought and application. Watch the videos and remember that posture (a much more upright attitude with a fixed, immobile head) is the very key. And follow the advice of those who know - ease into this new way to move gradually and progressively. I raced away doing 3 times the recommended introductory distance and suffered from chronic calf strain for over a week!
My Breathos are well made, they look good (I guess this matters), they feel good (much more important) and they handle off-road trails with ease where in the past my conventional road shoes performed like a dying juggernaut on slicks.

Merkur Futur Adjustable Safety Razor in Shiny Chrome Finish
Merkur Futur Adjustable Safety Razor in Shiny Chrome Finish

4.0 out of 5 stars The Future?, 18 April 2014
I have to say that my experience has made me rather ambivalent when it comes to Merkur razors - I purchased their fantastically portable and packable budget travel razor to find that misalignment of the head meant I could only shave with one side (Executive Shaving organized an exchange before I could say "Made in Solingen"), and a slant bar that I was left less than impressed with the finish (not so the Ikon that I replaced it with).
However, I have to say that the Futur is a superb machine. The balance, weight and feel are optimised for a near perfect shave. I find no difficulty personally adjusting blade exposure. Set at '1' it is almost impossible to nick oneself whilst achieving the closest of effortless results - I have so far felt no need for more aggression! It s finish is faultless (I went for the mirror finish) and married with the iconic design makes for an impressive addition to any collection. If you are not a collector, just a shaver, the Futur is more than enough to give you exactly what a razor should. Complete unreserved endorsement!

Leisureguy's Guide to Gourmet Shaving - Sixth Edition: Shaving Made Enjoyable
Leisureguy's Guide to Gourmet Shaving - Sixth Edition: Shaving Made Enjoyable
by Michael Ham
Price: 8.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Gourmet Shaving - The Bible of Shaving, 26 Mar 2014
I have every book on the subject offered by Amazon as a relatively recent convert to DE shaving. My only regret is that I wasted my money on all of them save this absolutely superb offering. You too can fill your basket with all the rest if you have tables that require levelling, flowers that must be pressed or need cheap presents for neighbours or relatives you don't really like - but if you need a book to inform you on every aspect of shaving that is thoroughly reseached, thoroughly up to date, and thoroughly informative, you need only buy the Gourmet guide. It is both a manual, a reference book and a shopping guide to help one navigate through the intricacies of the one thing we men do every day of our lives (barring the odd lazy Sunday). It is that good! Marry it to the Mantic shaving videos and you will be well on the road to the perfect shave. I only hope that there will be a 7th, an 8th and a 20th edition.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Feather DE blades, 21 Mar 2014
Pointless really to review an experience so subjective as a paper-thin wafer of stainless steel slicing through one's wet beard but a Feather blade loaded into both my Ikon OSS and my IKon Slant Bar is utterly and completely synonymous with caressing one's lower face with the briefest square of satin - joyful! I have not shaved with a more efficient, more comfortable or more reassuring blade. Even their relative high unit price makes their selection for me the intense deliberation of no more than half a micro second.

Speaking For Myself: The Autobiography
Speaking For Myself: The Autobiography
by Cherie Blair
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Britains most reviled woman, 22 May 2011
Quite possibly one of the least popular British women of her generation, a much vilified target of tabloid editors, rarely publicly praised, a frequent target for snide ridicule. Cherie Blair is either loathed or loved, I suspect largely depending on the colour of one's pyjamas. That was perhaps so, until now with the publication of this autobiography.
If I wore pyjamas they would definitely be an un-bleachable royal blue yet I found this is an honest, accessible account - if not spilling any great secrets - of the life of a remarkable woman living a remarkable life in remarkable times. First and foremost an entertaining and enjoyable read.
What strongly comes across are 2 themes - her single minded battle to preserve the sanctity of family life, protecting her children from the adverse effects of their 'celebrity' status; and her successful balance of the rigours of a high profile, high octane career with the pressures of a modern mum. Her `scouseness' shines through with humour, a down-to-earth ruggedness and self-deprecation(assumed or real!). It is refreshing to see revealed Cherie's side of some of the more widely reported `gaffes'; I have to say sympathy more often or not lies with her -as she said herself, `damned if you do, damned if you don't'. I found particularly interesting the brief passage dealing with the aftermath of Princess Diana's death (at some odds with Stephen Frears' film `The Queen'), the so- called 'deal' between Tony Blair and Gordon Brown, and the book's insights into the inner workings of our legal system and a PM's relationship with the Royal family. The whole `Cheriegate' episode, however, shows Ms Booth at her most nave - headstrong with little political vision even after so many years as the First Lady. But her tale of the little Saudi boy and his burqua'd mother, how first thing in the morning he would pay especial attention to her shoes so as not to become lost in the crowded shopping malls, brought a real smile to my face. I was disappointed with the skimming stone approach to the issue of Iraq but perhaps this is a potato still radiating more than its fair share of heat - this afterall is her story and not a political textbook! I have not yet read her husband's autobiography but I eagerly anticipate comparing their respective versions of history, looking for conformity and consistency - I would be surprised if Tony had not had editorial input into the final draft.
I bought this book unashamedly to reinforce my negative prejudices. I put it down with a new found respect for this strong minded but fundamentally normal, ordinary wife, woman and mother. The story rattles along at a steady pace (at times I have to say a little too briskly where there is the opportunity to put a bit more flesh on some big issue bones), but this is my only criticism of the book. I suspect the real aim is achieved - Cherie does indeed speak for herself and I suspect is quite happy that her side of events is now presented in 405 pages .
I guess if an autobiography does not ultimately win-over the reader then it has failed - there is no question this one succeeds. No longer for me the reviled woman from the wrong side of the Liver tracks!

The Last Mission : Behind the Iron Curtain
The Last Mission : Behind the Iron Curtain
by Steve Gibson

5.0 out of 5 stars Cold War Warriors, 10 May 2011
Superb book written by someone who inhaled the exhaust fumes, dodged the Stasi surveillance teams and then took roll after roll of film - his personal contribution must rate towards the top of the list. Most teenagers of today will find it hard to comprehend the practical fact of a divided Germany with a Soviet controlled 'zone' enclosed by wire and wall bursting under the pyschological weight of Soviet forces ready and waiting to thrust westwards. But the subject of this balanced, no-nonense work, BRIXMIS (together with their US and French counterparts), was there to observe and report, as a mobile trip wire, and as a gatherer of technical (and latterly human) intelligence. And they did right up to the day Soviet forces pulled out of Eastern Germany. The author gives the reader as accurate and textural a picture of life in the Mission as it is possible to paint - head and shoulders above anything else published on the subject. This book deserves greater exposure in its role as an insight into the surreal existance of this quasi-diplomatic military mission beavering away beyond the Iron Curtain, against the greater backdrop of the Cold War, and as a hands-on case study of effective and above all cost effective intelligence gathering.