Profile for J. Wotton > Reviews

J. Wotton (London, UK)

BRIO BRI-33750 Rail Magnetic Action Crossing
BRIO BRI-33750 Rail Magnetic Action Crossing

1.0 out of 5 stars Great idea but does not work, 4 May 2009
I ordered this for my son's 2nd birthday. I sent it back for a replacement, as one of the barrier arms would not stay up properly - the slightest bump would make it fall down. Unfortunately, the replacement I received (which Amazon sent out extremely promptly) was even worse; neither of the arms would stay up at all. It seems that the barrier arms need to be held up very lightly so that the magnets on the trains going past can trigger the release for them to come down. The problem is that the holding mechanism is too delicate and the arms either fall down at the slightest movement or do not stay up at all. I think it is a design defect. Very disappointing but I'm glad I tried it out before giving it to my son. I have sent the replacement one back as well and ordered the non-magnetic one (which is about the same price) and am hoping that will do the trick.

Childs Lift & Match Wooden Pegged Puzzle - Train Ages 1+ - Wooden Educational Toy

3.0 out of 5 stars attractive but inferior quality, 27 Sept. 2008
This puzzle is just as colourful and attractive as shown in the photo and my little one loves it although he is still too young to really know what to do with it. However, the quality of the puzzle is very disappointing. Several of the pieces do not fit well into their holes and you really have to push them to go in - not a problem if you are an adult and know that you have the right piece but I am sure this would be quite frustrating for a toddler who may think that they are trying the wrong place. Also, a couple of the pieces have small bits missing - the pieces are made from plywood which has chipped off the top layer in a couple of places - it arrived like this.

Where's Spot? (Lift-the-flap Book)
Where's Spot? (Lift-the-flap Book)
by Eric Hill
Edition: Board book

3.0 out of 5 stars flimsy flaps, 27 Sept. 2008
I bought this several months ago for my little boy, who is now 16 months old. Although he loves his books, bringing me a book to read to him several times during the day, this has never been one of his favourites. Despite that, this is the only "lift-the-flap" book that he has managed to tear off one of the flaps from (and he has several of these books). I guess that babies have different tastes in books (just like adults) but I think it could have been made a lot sturdier. For example, we have had no problems with "Dear Zoo" which has been read a lot more times.

Wonderworld Wooden Mini Loader
Wonderworld Wooden Mini Loader

4.0 out of 5 stars well-made, 27 Sept. 2008
I purchased this for my son when he was about 14 months old, as he loves vehicles of all types and his favourite book at the time was "Diggers and Dumpers". It is very sturdy and well-constructed and the rubber tires mean it can be used outside as well as inside. My only complaint is that the scoop at the front moves too freely so that it will not stay up in the air (as shown in the picture) but in fact falls back down straight away. This means that there is not a lot of manipulation for little hands to do. I had expected that the scoop would be able to stay in various positions and that my son would have fun moving it up and down. I had previously bought the Wonderworld Mini Dumper and the back of that tips up and down perfectly, it will stay at almost any position in between flat or fully tipped up. My son prefers to play with the truck as he enjoys moving the back up and down.

Wonderworld Wooden Mini Dumper
Wonderworld Wooden Mini Dumper

5.0 out of 5 stars solid and well-made, 27 Sept. 2008
I bought this for my son when he was about 13 months old. It is very sturdy and well-constructed and will stand up to all manner of drops, knocks and throws. The rubber tires mean you can use it outside as well as inside. The back of the truck tilts up to tip out any load. It is a perfect size for small hands, large enough for it to be easy to play with yet small enough to be taken on outings. My son loves it, pushing it around for ages and putting things in the back then tipping them out. I think it will be a favourite for a long time.