Profile for Rodney J Davies > Reviews

Content by Rodney J Davies

Rodney J Davies "settlershills"

Blue Guitars [11CD + DVD]
Blue Guitars [11CD + DVD]
Price: 23.57

5.0 out of 5 stars How STUNNING is this set?, 9 Feb 2006
I preface by fessing up to:
1. The fact I own NO other Chris Rea albums even though I often hear his songs on radio and say to myself, "gee he sounds good"
2. I would NOT have owned this set had not my blood-brother in Luxembourg (I live in Perth Australia) told me he bought it and said it was a nice package and
3. Had I not read SO MANY 5-star reviews here I probably would have ignored this set.
But, I DID buy it, and what can I say? It is simply stunning. How a songwriter can compile more than 120 new songs in such a short span of time that are so uniformly stunning and put them down so beautifully is beyond belief. THIS IS A MAGNIFICENT set.
From song 1 Disc 1, to last song in Disc 11....yes Disc 11....this is so good it's unbelievable.
The music is rich, lush when needed, spare if required, the production just adds to the music, no distractions. The playing fantastic and the song writing and Rea's singing just first rate.
This is a musical tour de force. It's written that it's a history of the blues. It is, but IF blues as is commonly thought of isn't your exact cup of tea, don't worry. It's is not blues by 'definition', it's "world blues" with a soul/pop bent. In any event, it's a treasure.
Will it be enough to make me go out and buy any of his older albums? I am not sure. There is just so much here to explore, and it's such a uniformly GREAT collection I might find his other records trite by comparison. Then again, I may not....
The package itself is a thing of beauty too. A hard cover A4 sized book, running some 70 or so pages, all lyrics, interview with Chris Rea himself, fantastic artwork and a DVD and the 11 CDs set into the front and back sleeves. For Aust$110. The bargain of the century musically, and a treasure I will cherish.
Rod