Profile for DM Sparrow > Reviews

Content by DM Sparrow

DM Sparrow (England)

Windows 8 Pro, Upgrade Edition [Upgrade from Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7] (PC)
Offered by SoftwareDirect2u
Price: 137.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Runs OK for a while , then show stoppers appear, 28 Nov 2012
I've used Windows since 1995, and so know my way around this OS. Having decided to stick with XP until 8 came out, I thought I'd give it a go and upgrade.

Well, firstly the way things are done is different, not totally awful, just different. And I'm always happy to adjust to new things eventually, so I thought I'd give this new OS a try. Now I also dual boot with Linux, and sometimes use Windows for testing apps etc that I create under Linux and port to Windows for those that want them. So, things were going OK, I figured out how to make sure the app was run from the desktop rather than from the 'metro' ui, and so I was pretty happy overall.

But, and I know you knew there'd be a but, things started going wrong after a couple weeks. Three crashes with different programs, making the system restart have made me wary of keeping this OS on my computer. Only problem is you can't easily regress back to Windows XP, you have to do a new install, and i don't relish the idea of having to sort out the partition this OS is in just to get rid of it. So it looks like I'll have to dig out my Linux CD and totally wipe the drive and start again, this time sticking with Windows XP and putting that on a Virtual Machine instead. That way if I decide to put 8 back on I won't lose my main system.

So, apart from what some might call technical glitches, why am I giving it only one star? Well, the fact that everything is so dependent on having a hotmail/outlook/live Windows ID. I just felt so insecure whilst using the system, I couldn't get out of my mind what else was Microsoft gathering info wise about me? I know they say the info is anon, but we've heard that before from people like Google etc, and you can't trust them at all these days. The email app was awful, full screen and not having any of the tools I need to manage my emails effectively, lack of customisation for the tiles, couldn't find any way to alter their colours. I'm sure there is a way, I just couldn't find it. Unable to alter certain tiles from small to large.

To give it credit, it did run all my programs from as far back as 1995 except for one or two that required a bit of a work around from me to get running, and it seems lighter on resources (32bit version) than Windows XP, which is a bonus. But I'm not really sure if this OS is for me. I may just stick with my Linux OS, which runs great, has had no issues whatsoever, has lots of free software in things called Software Centres just one click to install, and has a great community, much better than the Windows community I have to admit. Asked a few questions on the Windows forums and was pretty much told to 'get lost' because I dared to ask a question that might show their precious OS as faulty in some way.

For alternatives you could either stick with Windows XP until they stop support in 2014 or Windows 7 which loses support in 2022.

Otherwise you can try Ubuntu Linux at Ubuntu.com, Fedora at fedoraproject.org, or review some other Linux distributions at Distrowatch.com

Happy hunting, and hope you find what you need.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 1, 2012 12:02 PM GMT

Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Black
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Black
Price: 59.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Device, Glad I Bought One, 8 Oct 2012
I bought mine from Argos, same price btw so no advantage other than not having to wait for delivery.

Startup is fairly simple, setting up language, wifi, and registering the device with Amazon is a cinch. Actually searching and downloading books was easy, and once you get used to the controls reading your books is easy as well.

It's no wonder the Kindle and EBooks in general are closing the gaps with traditional print media. The screen is just as readable as a real book, and I haven't found any evidence of eyestrain like you'd have with a monitor for example, mainly because the kindle uses something called e-ink for its display, and its very fast when turning pages and I didn't see any major lag at all in the screen being updated.

Certainly seems to be worth the money, and I can't understand the reviews from those that hate it, although you'll find a number of reviews where the reviewer has only one or two reviews to be fake reviews or as its more commonly known sockpuppet reviews. That is when a competitor creates fake reviews to try and rubbish another product.

So take no notice of the haters, and buy one, you'll not regret it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 13, 2012 10:37 PM BST

Dungeons & Dragons 3 [DVD]
Dungeons & Dragons 3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Meagan Goode
Offered by The Happy Zombie
Price: 2.90

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Addition to the Series, 28 Sep 2012
This review is from: Dungeons & Dragons 3 [DVD] (DVD)
I actually came across this movie by accident in my local supermarket.

And as I had found the other two D&D movies to be OK, I thought I'd buy it, maybe waste a few quid if it wasn't that good and move on.

It's actually much better than the other two, budget of $12million, and although thats classed as low budget these days I think it did pretty well effects wise.

The acting is pretty good, the hero not bad, and some of the characters are very well realised. The ending is interesting and for me it worked. Although there is a character at the end, no spoilers, who isn't that easy to understand, but doesn't detract from the overall movie.

I'd say it's worth buying more so than the other two D&D movies, and hopefully they will carry this line on with a sequel? It certainly cries out for one.

Only downside overall is the amount of nudity, sex etc that really ruined parts of the movie and felt unnecessary to me, so prepare to fast forward through the boring stuff.

Manhwa Mania: How to Draw Korean Comics (Manga Mania)
Manhwa Mania: How to Draw Korean Comics (Manga Mania)
by Chris Hart
Price: 11.51

1.0 out of 5 stars More Manga than Manhwa, 19 Sep 2012
Unfortunately I really wish Mr Hart could be sued under the trades description act. This book only contains a couple pages of Manhwa, and just a couple illustrations at that. He shows the differences, then goes on to show you how to draw in the Manga style. Also, Hart hasn't drawn anything in this book, he just gets others to do the work for him, and then he supposedly 'teaches' you on a subject he obviously knows very little about. Just check the reviews over at Amazon.com!

It would be best to steer clear of this book and pretty much anything else Mr Hart has the audacity to publish. Just read proper Manhwa stories, and get your inspiration from those.

Shame on you Mr Hart!!!

VonHaus Glass Computer Desk / Workstation with Toughened Black Tempered Glass
VonHaus Glass Computer Desk / Workstation with Toughened Black Tempered Glass
Offered by onlinebarginstore
Price: 35.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little desk, 30 Aug 2012
I bought this desk due to needing something not too big for my room, and this one does just that.

It comes unassembled, and the instructions are easy to follow, and it was put up within 20 minutes by myself, so is easy for one person to assemble.

It's a good size, has a pull out shelf for your keyboard, and so your mouse will only be usable on the main part of the desk, but as thats not very far from the pull out shelf then thats ok.

I've found it to be of sturdy construction, although be aware that on the pull out shelf there are two plastic covers to prevent you hurting yourself on the metal, they do sometimes come off, so I have superglued them on, this doesn't really detract from how good the desk is though, hence I give it five stars.

Well worth buying, and looks good too.

How to Draw Your Own Graphic Novel
How to Draw Your Own Graphic Novel
by Frank Lee
Price: 7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than most other books, 22 April 2012
I found this book to be very good on drawing the characters body, very easy to get that part right due to the number of steps and pages dedicated to the task. Using cylinders etc to form the structure was explained and shown really well, as was perspective, and even panels and the cover which other books on comic creation seem to leave out.
So why only four stars? The part on drawing the head was only one page, and I feel they should have devoted several pages on how to draw both male and female heads, plus they show you how to form the shape of a head in a square etc, but then when demonstrating with a properly drawn head they dispense with the square and viola!, the head is done. This part seemed rushed and I'd really love for them to add more pages on doing this in the next edition.

Overall the book tells you mostly what you need to know in an easy to copy manner, and I'd recommend you take advantage of the book. It's certainly better than a lot of the other drawing books out there, you'll just need to do some more research on drawing heads.

The Odin Brotherhood: A Non-Fiction Account of Contact with a Pagan Secret Society
by Mark Mirabello
Price: 9.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, Not Bad at all, 9 May 2011
Bought this book due to the other reviews. And it's not too bad really. Although i found it rather short, I did find it an interesting read, and it gave some info, but I did want to learn more. The author has certainly acheived his aims if he was wanting to get people interested in Odinism/Asatru, as I am now looking into this path more and hope to find other interesting works on Odinism.

Recommended read, and it won't take long to breeze through.

Merlin And The Book Of Beasts [DVD]
Merlin And The Book Of Beasts [DVD]
Dvd ~ James Callis
Price: 4.65

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad version of Merlin, 27 Nov 2010
Really enjoyed this movie. I found James Callis' version of Merlin really good, and loved his Welsh accent. The ending wasn't exactly what I would have done myself, but truly at such a price its worth buying for some afternoon entertainment.

Not the best, but certainly not the worst.

SALITAIR SALT THERAPY FOR ASTHMA AND ALLERGY
SALITAIR SALT THERAPY FOR ASTHMA AND ALLERGY
Offered by Tower Health
Price: 19.95

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK, but beware of a sore throat if using regularly, 21 July 2010
I've used the Salt Pipe before and found that a very good inhaler to use, so I thought I'd give this one a try.

Unfortunately I've discovered after several days of using it that my throat tends to get sore, and so I can't use it as regularly as the Salt Pipe or a regular inhaler.

Will probably have to stop using it and go back to using the Salt Pipe instead which just seemed better for some reason.

Still, it's worth a try if you've not tried anything else before, just be aware that if you do start to suffer from a sore throat then this may not be the one for you.

For alternatives : SaltPipe, or your regular Inhaler.