Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now
Profile for Cassandra > Reviews

Content by Cassandra

Cassandra

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Mothering Sunday
Mothering Sunday

5.0 out of 5 stars Mothering Sunday, 9 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Mothering Sunday (Kindle Edition)
I heard Jon Snow discussing this book on A Good Read and immediately felt I had to read it as he had praised it so much. It did not disappoint - I read it in a few hours and thought it was a very, very Good Read. Short, intriguing and really insightful about an orphan maid who becomes a successful writer.

Thursday Night Widows
Thursday Night Widows

2.0 out of 5 stars Thursday Night Widows, 30 Mar. 2016
I was really interested to read this book as it was about people living in Argentina - a country I know a fair bit about when it comes to its recent history. This history is so full of extraordinary stories from the Perons to the Mothers of the Disappeared with their white head scarves and terrible stories about their loved ones. However, this book is about a lot of rich and not so rich people living in a gated community and frankly I could not summon much enthusiasm or interest in their fate. It starts and ends as a thriller with three dead bodies in a swimming pool - the intervening chapters are about these people and their families and their various financial problems.

The Spire: With an introduction by John Mullan
The Spire: With an introduction by John Mullan

2.0 out of 5 stars The Spire by William Golding, 19 Mar. 2016
I have been studying this book in a class with a tutor who raves about it BUT I am afraid I don't share his enthusiasm. The problem for me is that it is told through the eyes of the Dean of the Cathedral - he is a skinny, consumptive, most unattractive man who harbours lustful thoughts for a young woman but whose mind is totally concentrated on this crazy project of building a spire on top of a Cathedral which has no foundations. It is very well written - Golding did win the Nobel prize but I have always found an element of cruelty in his work and a lack of compassion for the characters he creates. This certainly was evident on his most famous book "Lord of the Flies".

When Breath Becomes Air
When Breath Becomes Air

4.0 out of 5 stars When Breath Becomes Air, 4 Mar. 2016
I found this a very moving book - I had read the review in the paper and knew immediately I wanted to read it. I was glad his wife wrote the final chapter and I caught up with her interview on Channel 4 News. I was so glad they took the risk of having a baby so that the author had a few precious months of being a dad and knowing his wife would not be alone when he died. The transition he had to make from being a surgeon and person of authority to being a patient was so tough especially as he was only 36 - unusually young for someone to be diagnosed with terminal lung cancer.

The Corner That Held Them (VMC)
The Corner That Held Them (VMC)
by Sylvia Townsend Warner

2.0 out of 5 stars Nuns in the 14th Century, 25 Jan. 2016
I found this a very frustrating book and very hard going to read though parts of it are beautifully written. It really did need a "Dramatis Personae" as there are SO many characters and it is very hard to remember with their back stories. I also found it almost totally unengaging - all these nuns squabbling in a convent in the 14th Century was not for me. I studied the book in a class on religious fiction and my tutor rated it as one of his favourite books. His enthusiasm helped me get through it but I still would not recommend as a good read.

Bella Poldark: A Novel of Cornwall 1818-1820 (Poldark Book 12)
Bella Poldark: A Novel of Cornwall 1818-1820 (Poldark Book 12)

4.0 out of 5 stars The Final Poldark Novel, 18 Oct. 2015
My Last Poldark novel! I feel completely bereft - I have SO enjoyed them all and got to know and love the characters so well. There were no implausible forgive and forget incidents in this book. Ross and George were still not reconciled but this made it more believable somehow. Dear Demelza (such a wonderful character - no wonder the author was so fond of her) HOW I shall miss you.

Kipling Women's Orleane Shoulder Bag Sunflower
Kipling Women's Orleane Shoulder Bag Sunflower

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 2 Oct. 2015
I returned the item as it was too big

Wake
Wake

4.0 out of 5 stars A new author who has written a really good first novel., 19 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Wake (Kindle Edition)
Someone recommended this book to me who knows the author and was so glad she had as I really enjoyed it. I read a lot of fiction and have read a lot about World War I but this came from a slightly different angle as it was about the effect the war had afterwards. I was very interested to read about the two young women who were paid to dance with people at the Hammersmith Palais. My in-laws met there I think though my mother-in-law was not one of these paid dance partners.

The Goldfinch
The Goldfinch

5.0 out of 5 stars The Goldfinch, 8 Jun. 2015
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Kindle Edition)
I know this book has divided the critics in the UK but I think it is easily the best novel I have read for years. I found it such an interesting read full of characters who were so well drawn I felt I knew them. I am not surprised it took her years to write as she would had to research so many diverse subjects including gambling, the antique business and the Russian underworld. At heart it is a story about friendship and the love of art and beauty.

Ruth (Penguin Classics)
Ruth (Penguin Classics)

4.0 out of 5 stars Ruth by Elizabeth Gaskell, 3 May 2015
I am familiar with Elizabeth Gaskell's work and admire her for writing this one which was very controversial at the time (she would not allow her daughters to read it) Ruth is a "fallen woman" with an illegitimate child - the fact she was very innocent and young and seduced by a man far more worldly than herself, makes her a very sympathetic figure. Towards the end of the novel she appears almost saintly as she has to "redeem" her "sin" - think Mary Magdalene. All this jars a bit but the characterisation is very good and it offers great insight into the "Dissenters" of that period.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4