Profile for Colin Andrew Freeman > Reviews

Content by Colin Andrew F...

Colin Andrew Freeman (Umited Kingdom)

Seeking Gaddafi
Seeking Gaddafi
by Daniel Kawczynski
Price: 13.63

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Libya primer, 22 Nov 2010
This review is from: Seeking Gaddafi (Hardcover)
While this book may not break any tremendous new ground as a piece of reportage, I would say it is nonetheless a good, comprehensive and readable overview of Gaddafi's Libya. From a British reader's viewpoint especially, it offers a lively and well-written pull-together of many of the key events of the Gaddafi era, for example the shooting of Wpc Yvonne Fletcher. I bought it prior to a reporting trip to Libya earlier this year, and would recommend it as a primer for anyone who is going there, although I should stress that I am not a Libya expert and cannot particularly vouch for its accuracy or insights. Perhaps more importantly, I found it hard to find any other good books on Libya available during a fairly extensive trawl through various bookshops in central London.
Colin Freeman, chief foreign correspondent, Sunday Telegraph

Red Zone: Five Bloody Years in Baghdad
Red Zone: Five Bloody Years in Baghdad
by Oliver Poole

5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific read, 31 Aug 2008
Before anything, I should declare a couple of interests here. I'm a former colleague of Oliver's in Baghdad, and I have also got my own book out about Iraq, which covers similar ground to his. Which, in a self-serving way, meant I was secretly hoping that this book wouldn't be much good. Alas, as anyone who's read Oliver's first book on Iraq, Black Knights, will testify, there was no chance of that. Red Zone is a superbly informative and engrossing read, be it for the Iraq anorak like myself, or for someone who knows nothing about the place and wants one single, easy-to-read book that will tell them all. Speaking as someone who's spent a lot of time there myself, I can also testify to the difficulty of the conditions under which Oliver was reporting. Most journalists pulled out when things started getting really dangerous in 2005 - Oliver, however, stuck it out, and as such has penned one of the very few accounts of the period when Iraq really went into its darkest hours.
Anyway, enough from me. Read it. There a lot of books about Iraq around, but this is one of the few very good ones (apart from mine of course....)