Profile for joewb69 > Reviews

100 Great Breads
by Paul Hollywood
Price: 12.08

2.0 out of 5 stars Erstwhile Paul Hollywood fan, 11 Jan 2012
This review is from: 100 Great Breads (Hardcover)
I hoped to start out on a journey with Paul Hollywood, Master Baker? A journey that would Guide me through 100 great bread recipes. However, given how picky Mr Hollywood is about how people should follow his recipes accurately on 'Great British Bake Off', I have found the number of typos in this book (I purchased the kindle version) a bit slapdash and frankly disappointing.

I followed the advice in the book to try making the wheat sheaf first. This was a great activity with the children and kept us occupied for many hours. In fact I hadn't really banked on how long it would take to make all those pesky ears of corn? And the size of it! It just about fit in my oven but took a heck of a lot longer to cook and brown than the instructions in the book advised. I am an experienced home baker, but put this down to beginners errors.

Next up cheese scones, easy peasy you might think? Well, I was sceptical about using strong white flour but when the scones came out of the oven I thought I was onto a winning batch! They were the most perfect looking scones I have ever seen or baked before. Sadly though only one downside, the 30g of sugar in the recipe provided an unsavoury sweetness. I double checked the recipe but yes no salt was prescribed, only sugar. I scanned reviews to see if anyone had noticed this thinking it might be a typo but no, I could find nothing to indicate that the recipe was wrong.

Perhaps it was me being heavy handed I thought, again not wishing to believe that my Master Baker's recipes were less than perfect. And he didn't let me down on the basic white bread recipe. Chuck it all in a bowl, mix by hand, leave to rise and yes I managed at last to produce a successful loaf with a great rise and taste.

What next I thought after a long day at the office? The ciabatta recipe caught my eye, partly because my children love it and partly because at 1.75 for a small loaf from our local bakery it's not cheap. And this is where I found myself frustrated. The ingredients list calls for 30 mls of olive oil but the recipe neglects to mention when the oil should be added.

Yes, I can use my initiative but frankly I expected more from this book. In future I shall be looking for a book whose author has taken time to consider his reader, someone who has double checked his recipes are printed accurately and that they work. Sorry Mr Hollywood, I am no longer a fan.

White Headphones for Apple Ipod Shuffle
White Headphones for Apple Ipod Shuffle
Offered by LEADS U NEED
Price: 3.99

1.0 out of 5 stars poor build quality, 1 Mar 2011
Extremely poor quality. One of the ear pieces stopped working within days of purchase. The product also took a long time to be delivered. One to avoid.