Profile for Anthony Lau > Reviews

Content by Anthony Lau

Anthony Lau (Manchester, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Kingston Generation 2 Micro SD Reader
Kingston Generation 2 Micro SD Reader
Offered by Kikatek

5.0 out of 5 stars Great teeny microsd reader, 19 May 2014
This reader is so cheap and reliable that I would recommend anyone with a micro SD card to buy one. I have my 8GB Micro SD in it and I keep it in my wallet as a memory stick for whenever I need to use one. The read/write speeds for me are 15/5 mb/s, but that depends on the speed of your Micro SD card, so mileage may vary. One can only say it could be too small that you'd lose it! But I would consider that as a pro, I couldn't go back to using a bulky memory stick. You could put a 64GB card into this and have all that memory in a reader smaller than a 2p coin. 5/5 no doubts.

JVC HA-S160-B-E FLATS Lightweight Headphones - Black
JVC HA-S160-B-E FLATS Lightweight Headphones - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing compared to stock headphones, 19 May 2014
Whilst this headphone isn't going to win any awards for its sound, I can't fault them for the price. They are a whole lot better than most stock headphones included with your smartphones etc. I find them to be lightweight and comfortable for a long period of time, though I had to stretch it out overnight on a box as it was a bit to tight when I first got them. Isolation isn't the best since its only on ear, but better than generic earphones or open back headphones. As of May 2014, they're now £5! Absolute steal I must say, I paid £12 and I was happy. I don't think you can get any better for £5-12. I might go and buy another pair as backup!

I would give 6.5/10 for sound quality, but 10/10 for the price. (To me 6+ is good) The trebles aren't too sharp, bass isn't too boomy. I'm not an audiophile so thats as well as I can describe them. But I can certainly tell that my Monoprice 8323 headphones and Apple Earpods sound a bit better, though they're almost twice the price and aren't as comfortable in my opinion.

So what are you waiting for?

Intel Pentium G3420 Dual Core CPU Retail (Socket 1150, 3.20GHz, 3MB, 54W, Extended Memory 64 Technology, Execute Disable Bit)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best CPU for the price, 29 Oct 2013
I had upgraded from a Athlon II X2 250 Overclocked at 3.6GHz and this easily smashes it up. For example, this would easily run Youtube 4K videos at 80%~ CPU usage at 30FPS, whereas the Athlon would choke at 100% Usage and push out only 15-20FPS. The stock fan on this is probably about the same noise to the Athlon II X2 250 that I used and heat wise its about 30C on idle and 50C on load which is the same as my Athlon. Not really much to say about it, just super fast and barely uses any power. 54W is nothing for a CPU as most AMD chips are 95W.

Wouldn't be a bad choice for a gaming machine to be fair. The i3 4130 is almost double the price! And its only 0.2GHz faster with 2 more virtual threaded. Might be useful in highly multi threaded games or programs but its not worth paying almost 90% more. If you search for benchmarks done by Toms Hardware, this chip is about as fast as a Quad Core AMD Phenom II X4 955/965 on most things especially gaming as that is still mainly dual threaded. I'd rather get this G3420 + HD7870 than a i3 + HD7790 for a gaming machine. But if you have the money, it'd probably be worth getting the i5 4570 or a K series if you're into overclocking.

Well what more can I say about a CPU review? Its fast, it works and thats about it. Performance wise this would destroy any AMD Athlon II X4's and some Phenom II X4's depending on application. If you don't trust me you can have a look at Toms Hardware where they've done benchmarks and tests. I was close to just swapping out my old CPU for maybe a Phenom II X6, but I thought this would be better for gaming as most games don't use 6 threads. Also my Corsair CX400 PSU will probably choke if I paired a Phenom II X6 125W + HD7870 170W. And really, this CPU is probably just as fast as some of the lower clocked models of the X6 as the Single Threaded performance (per core that is) of the Intel Haswell platform is probably 2x that of the AMD Phenom II, Bulldozer and even Piledriver. So they'd need a 6.4GHz Dual core or 3.2GHz Quad to match this.

For £50 you can't really find anything better. Even if the Athlon II X4 750K is the same price, it guzzles up 100W of power and even more when overclocked. Looking at benchmarks its more or less equal if not the Intel is faster, so geting this makes more sense as you can upgrade to an i5 or i7 if you want more power. Whereas if you get the Athlon, thats the best you could get for the socket so if you want to upgrade to something faster you'd have to get a new motherboard.

Casio F-91W-1YER Men's Resin Digital Watch
Casio F-91W-1YER Men's Resin Digital Watch
Offered by watches and more

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing quality for the price, does its job very well., 18 Sep 2013
This watch is amazing quality and certainly doesn't feel cheap. The strap is a soft touch plastic unlike the hard plastic you get generally with cheap watch, its also very light and quite thin but feels very well built. It tells the time, has a light in the dark, has an alarm, has a stop watch and tells you the date. What more do you need from a watch?

However, if you're looking for a watch for swimming use aswell you'd need to look at the W-59 model which is the same apart from its 50m water resistant. This one is "only" water resistant which is good to use in the rain and usual splashs but not swimming.

Being a casio, I have no doubts it'll last a long time. Not the most fanciest watch but I love the style personally.

Asus Google Nexus 7 7-inch Tablet (2GB RAM, 32GB eMMC)
Asus Google Nexus 7 7-inch Tablet (2GB RAM, 32GB eMMC)
Offered by eZee Trade

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect size, perfect tablet, almost!, 12 Sep 2013
The screen on this tablet is simply stunning, the 1920x1200 resolution is even crisper than your Full HD 1080p TV. The colours are great, brightness is unmatched and its pixel density is even higher than the iPad with Retina display. I had the old Nexus 7 before for a few months and I can certainly notice the speed boost and the better screen. However if I still had my Nexus 7 (which I sold about 8 months ago as I thought a netbook would be more useful, how wrong was I?!), I wouldn't necessarily sell it immediately for this. Yes the screen is crisper and has a faster processor, however the Nexus 7 is capable of doing the same task being a tad thicker and I wouldn't mind waiting a second or two more for it to load. This is because the old Nexus 7 was stunning at its time and still is. On the other hand, if you don't have a 7" tablet or have something like the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 or Tab 3 7.0 then this would be an amazing buy. I prefer Google Nexus devices because they have the fastest updates by a mile and also they are selling at a thin profit hoping that you would pay for the services on the play store. This means you're getting about £180-190 worth of hardware and paying £200. Compared to Samsung Galaxy tabs where they want immediate profit, you'll be getting £100 hardware and paying £180 for the tab 3. This is something to consider if you want the best bang for buck device.

Now lets talk about the specs. The CPU have been updated to a 1.5Ghz Snapdragon Krait core which is about 1.5-2x faster than the old Tegra 3 A9 cores running at same speed. This is very noticeable when loading webpages and launching apps. The GPU have been upgrade to the Adreno 320 which is 3-4x faster than the old Tegra 3 graphics however the device packs about 2.3x more pixels so you do notice smoother gameplay but due to the resolution its not like its 3-4x smoother than the predecessor. RAM have been upgraded to 2GB so you can store have more background apps running. The screen ofcourse being the most important update, now packs 323ppi 1920x1200 which is much brighter so its perfect for outdoor viewing. They've also added a 5MP rear camera capable of 1080p video capature and upgraded the front camera to 1.2MP and 720P HD video capture. Overall a much expected update, but I found it odd they had to up the pricing so much. Nevertheless, still £70 cheaper than the iPad Mini. Atleast they didn't have some obscure exchange rate and upping the price by $30 only meant a £40 increase.

Now you might ask why did I say its perfect but almost. Well nothing is perfect! Anyhow Android is currently still lacking tablet optimized apps, most of them are enlarged phone apps which is not as intuitive to use compared to the massive number of tablet apps the iPad Mini has. Also even though 7" is pretty much a perfect size, I still feel I could use the extra inch at times when browsing and have an 8". However that would increase the cost due to a larger display and a reduced battery life due to higher power consumption. The immense resolution sort of makes up for this as the text is clear even though being quite small. Its a hard decision. But in the end, there is no tablet on the market that can match the amount of hardware you're getting for your money along with the warranty and support. I can't really knock star off for those cons as I can deal with them and the apps situation will be solved overtime as they are updated. ASUS is truly amazing to be able to build such a device and Google to sell it at such a price. Its a perfect 5/5 star rating however it would be threatened by the iPad Mini 2 if they manage to squeeze a retina display with updated specs and more RAM at the same price. Because overall they still have the edge of better apps. But I wouldn't wait and would just get the Nexus 7 now as its a worthwhile buy definitely, unless you already have the old one then you might want to see how much you get for it first and see for yourself or you have already invest heavily in the Apple ecosystem's apps, iTunes etc you would be better of waiting for the iPad Mini 2. You can't do without a tablet nowadays! Its like must having a PC back 10 years ago in my opinion.

-----

EDIT: A day into using it, I must say the screen is marvelous. After using it all day and looking back at my Galaxy Grand, its like night and day. The pixels become so obvious and just looking at text on the Nexus's screen becomes a joy.

Also I'm going to add a few things that I missed out. The build quality is very good for a plastic device, there is no flex at all and the back isn't slippy and has some grip to it but somehow feels quite smooth. The stereo speakers with one at the top and one at the bottom is amazing, one of the best speakers that I have heard but still can't be compared to front speakers that you see on the Nexus 10 and HTC One but its close. Charge time should be about 3.5-4 hours, I charged it from 50% out of the box to full and it took about 1.5-2 hours (didn't time it exactly). So my advice is: before they run out of stock, go get one now! :)

-----

EDIT 2: (24th Oct 13) After a month and a bit into using this and with the iPad Mini with Retina just announced, I thought I'll just make an update. Tablet is still blazing fast even though I have over 20GB of content on it. No noticeable lag or slowdown which is pretty good for an Android device. A full charge can last 3-4 days depending on use, I tend to use it as a reading/browsing device for 1-2 hours a day before sleeping and about half an hour to an hour in the morning. Screen brightness is quite amazing, the outdoor visibility is just amazing and the screen itself is beautiful. The Rear Camera is pretty bad though, unless its just for quick snaps. But who takes pictures with a tablet anyways. On the other hand, the front facing camera is pretty decent with Skype/Hangout and taking selfies. Still love it after a month, its just such a beautiful device and soo thin! Real Racing 3 and Asphalt 8 runs beautifully on the Nexus 7, you'd forget that its a tablet and you're not on the PS3 or Xbox!

Now that the iPad mini with retina is coming out, I'd have to say my conclusion has to be altered. I would instead only solely recommend the Nexus 7 between the two as they've upped the iPad Minis price too much in my opinion. The screen density is virtually identical to the Nexus 7. The iPads CPU/GPU might be a bit faster, but to be fair you wouldn't notice. The Nexus 7's A15 quad is really blazing fast. So no real good reason to go for the iPad mini unless you have heavily invested into iTunes and the Appstore or REALLY need that extra 1 inch. 7" is really the sweet spot for portability, at 8" its nicer but it would be noticeably bigger in my opinion when travelling. I wouldn't pay £120 more which is 60% more over the Nexus 7 for an iPad Mini with Retina. Do you get 60% more screen area? No. Do you get a 60% faster CPU/GPU? No. Do you get 60% more RAM or storage space? No. So its up to you.
Comment Comments (32) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 8, 2014 1:30 PM GMT

SanDisk Clip Zip 4GB MP3 Player with FM Radio - Black
SanDisk Clip Zip 4GB MP3 Player with FM Radio - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Value, 6 April 2013
I needed a new MP3 player for the gym after selling my iPod nano. I bought this because it has a clip which is pretty handy and a micro SD slot so you can expand this to 32GB + 4GB Internal = 36GB Total. The User Interface is very fluid and smooth with slick animation and smooth scrolling, although the screen is a bit pixelated but hey it has colour and is only £30. One thing I was impressed with is that it supported many languages, as I listen to some chinese/japanese/korean songs and it could read the MP3 tags perfectly. Drag and drop is the just easiest to use interface in my opinion. The Clip Zip is actually smaller than I thought which is quite a good thing as I could take it with my as it'd fit in any pockets. Sound quality is very good, but the provided earphones are only adequate. For the best experience, you should get some better earphones.

Overall for the price and quality, this player is amazing. 5 out of 5 stars for sure would recommend. Not worth getting an iPod if you're only going to play music and the iPod shuffle is only limited to 2GB.

Perixx PERIBOARD-208, Wired Design Keyboard - Compact Size Layout - USB - Piano Black - Chiclet Key Design - UK Layout

5.0 out of 5 stars Good sized keyboard and lovely design, 17 Mar 2013
I was looking a replacement for my aging Microsoft Curve 2000 which was a bit worn and I came across to this because I wanted a chiclet keyboard design after using the Mac keyboard in school. It has audio/volume controls and a numpad which is a huge plus for me. The size was also good, as my old keyboard took up a lot of space. This is much better on my desk space, looks very modern too.

However, the keys was not as good as I thought it would be. Having used a Mac keyboard and samsung chromebook before, I thought this would be perfect. However the keys just didn't feel as good, they are too small in my opinion and the keys are way too high. They should be shallower and a bit bigger. They also rattle a bit, meaning its a bit loose. However I only paid £7.99 so I can't complain too much. It just wasn't as nice to type, even compared to my Microsoft Curve 2000. But I still like this keyboard because of its design and how it saves space. The glossy piano black is very nice.

Overall, I think I got more than what I paid for really. But it could be better. Make the keys bigger, a bit tighter and softer to type on and it would be the best keyboard ever. Also perhaps take inspiration from Apple/Dell where the F1-F12 keys are triggered by Fn, prioritising media and volume control along with system buttons like search and calculator button which work well on Windows 8.

Gigabyte M6900 Optical Gaming Mouse
Gigabyte M6900 Optical Gaming Mouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks good for the job, 17 Mar 2013
Built quality is pretty good, feels well built and should last a long time. The scroller is at a slight angle and has a very solid feeling to it, which I love and is very easy to use and scroll. DPI buttons is what you'd expect, 3 settings for you to choose which is more than enough. For me the fastest one was the best, but this depends on your personal preference and what kind of mouse you used preceding to this. Those LED look fairly nice too. The curved shape is actually really good and comfortable, perfect for those who would be using a mouse for a long time e.g gaming.

Only con would be that it feels a bit light compared to what I'm used to. My Sharkoon mouse has weights in it which gives it a overall more premium and solid feeling to it. But this is pretty good.

Would highly recommend for those looking for a good mouse that will last. Not really a serious gaming mouse because there ain't any dedicated mappable keys. But perfectly adequate for the general PC gamer/general user.

GMYLE(TM) Super Slim USB 2.0 Mini Keyboard For Windows 7 XP Vista
GMYLE(TM) Super Slim USB 2.0 Mini Keyboard For Windows 7 XP Vista
Offered by Clever Gadgets

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product but feels cheap, 16 Mar 2013
Keys feel a bit lose, tatty and very plasticy. The whole keyboard is made from cheaper grade plastic but feels well built and put together. Very light. Suppose I can't expect too much for £13, but I bought a similar keyboard made by Perixx for £8 and it felt much better. Also the keyboard on my Acer AO725 cheap netbook feels better. Just thought it could be a bit better for the price, as you can get a Microsoft 600 keyboard for £10 which have better keys and build quality.

But the selling point of the keyboard for me isn't the feeling of the keys, its the style, design and size that sold me. I have no doubts that be a good keyboard but few aspects could be improved. Overall 4 stars because the build materials and quality, keys don't feel as firm as they should. Worthwhile buy for £13 but have a look at the perixx keyboards too.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, not a bad price, 18 Feb 2013
I had problems with my old wireless USB adapter before that only offered 54mbps and kept dropping the connection despite being fairly close to the router. This immediately gave a 5 bar connection and 300mbps as my router supports Wireless N, I also bought a USB y cable to ensure the unit gets enough power from the USB. Works well as intended, very fast and easy to set it. I choose to install the driver only via the cd and use the Windows wireless management as it loads faster and so far so good. Would recommend for anyone in need for a wireless adapter and have a router that supports wireless N.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5