Profile for Mr. N. Armytage-bevans > Reviews

Content by Mr. N. Armytag...

Mr. N. Armytage-bevans "Nigel JB" (Wales)

Beginner's Digital SLR Crash Course: Complete guide to mastering digital photography basics, understanding exposure, and taking better pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars A totally FAB learners guide and a pleasant read - SUPERB!, 26 Oct. 2014
After reading the first few paragraphs of this book, I felt like I was being taught by a friend. This was my very first purchase of a Kindle book and my first read of a book in years due to a problem with my sight. Once started I couldn't put my Kindle down. It was jam packed with all I needed to know - none of it in a heavy way either - as I mention it was like a friend guiding me through and it left every question answered. Having small stories and humorous anecdotes also helped make this book one of the best reads I have ever had.
As for my photography I saw a difference the next time I picked up my new DSLR. No longer afraid of all the buttons I got experimenting quickly and now I am never out of 'Manual' mode.
I cant recommend this book enough - I simply LOVE IT! :)
(I have included one of the first photos I took in Manual mode)
Comment Comment | Permalink

Wilde Winter Songbook
Wilde Winter Songbook
Offered by positivenoise

5.0 out of 5 stars Kim's Wilde Winter Songbook, 11 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Wilde Winter Songbook (Audio CD)
What's not to love about this festive album that consists of 6 covers of classic winter songs and 6 entirely new tracks from the Wilde camp.

WINTER WONDERLAND - A beautiful duet with Rick Astley opens the album on a warm and joyous note and gives you the perfect taste of things to come. Kim and Rick harmonise perfectly, a brilliant lead track.

HOPE - (Written by K.Wilde / R.Wilde / M.Cummins) The first of the new tracks, A message of 'Hope' to us all which is beautifully written, arranged, sung, infect everything, a totally lovely piece of work.

ONE - (Written by K.Wilde) Written solely by Kim this track takes you on a journey, it's very difficult to describe in words but is probably best listened to so you can go there yourself. It's warm and romantic and perfectly put together. It paints a scene that will strike a chord with everyone.

HAVE YOURSELF A MERRY LITTLE CHRISTMAS - This Christmas classic gets the Wilde treatment, soothing and relaxing, Kim's voice suits it to perfection.

WINTER SONG - To me this track is like part song and part prayer, although Kim has pointed out that there are no religious references on the album. The harmonies suit the song perfect and yet again Kim's voice shines through.

NEW LIFE - (Written by K.Wilde / R.Wilde) The opening to this song is the sound of an ultrasound scan, and, if you turn the sound up you can hear the whisper 'Its amazing isn't it' which sets the scene just perfect for this song all about the beginnings of 'new life' and the journey that lies ahead of every unborn child. Written while 2 members of the Wilde family were expecting, this song is personal, yet an ode to every unborn child there is today.

WHITE WINTER HYMNAL - This could well be called 'Wilde Winter Hymnal' as this duet with Kim's father Marty Wilde also contains backing vocals by Kim's brother Ricky Wilde and his daughter Scarlett. There harmonies together will blow you away, they totally nailed this classic cover, again difficult to put into words, it's best you listen for yourself.

BURN GOLD / SILENT NIGHT - (Written by K.Wilde / H.Fowler) Written by Kim and her husband this very personal track opens on piano. A soothing track, Kim's voice yet again shines through and is complimented by that of her husband Hal Fowler which harmonise well together. A beautiful song which ends in the carol / hymn 'Silent Night'.

SONG FOR BERYL - (Written by K.Wilde / R.Wilde / M.Cummins) Another very personal track, this is the story of a woman, by the sounds of it a strong woman who is alone at Christmas time. It become very obvious that this is a woman that Kim thought very highly of and that she is now no longer with us. This track certainly makes us think of others, that may be 'alone at Christmas time'.

LET IT SNOW - Probably the warmest and cosiest song on the album, Kim puts her Wilde stamp on this wonderful winter song,as does Neil Jones with a very impressive guitar solo, TOP!

HEY MISTER SNOWMAN - (Written by K.Wilde) From the moment this kicks off you will be smiling. A beautiful ditty about a snowman with some amazing lyrics "Hey Mister Snowman lend me your heart, there's one here that is broken so I need a new part" - Classic! and some fantastic guitar from Neil Jones, superb!

ROCKIN' AROUND THE CHRISTMAS TREE - The opening of this track will raise a laugh in everybody (except one or two commuters!) Kim performs this classic with non other than Nik Kershaw. The two go well together bringing this wonderful album to it's finale. A finale which will leave you smiling :)
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2013 12:10 AM GMT

Wahl Dog Claw Clipper Guillotine Style Stainless Steel
Wahl Dog Claw Clipper Guillotine Style Stainless Steel

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 7 Dec. 2010
I worked in veterinary practice for 10 years and this is the first pair of nail clippers i have owned that work just like the professional i use to work with. Smooth to operate with a clear cut, my dog (who is very nervous) didnt even wake whilst i was doing hers, also did my neighbours dog who is also nervy and he didnt mind one bit (is it me or the clippers, i dont know) but well worth the purchase

Julian Clary Live: Lord of the Mince [DVD] [2010]
Julian Clary Live: Lord of the Mince [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Julian Clary
Offered by FREETIME

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab at 50!!!!!, 7 Dec. 2010
Saw this last night and my abs still hurt from laughter, consistant all the way through this is a dvd that will keep you smiling throughout the whole performance, not for the faint-hearted, but come on it's Julian here!!! Gives his own account on what happened with 'that' Norman Lamont moment, and he still looks and performs fab at 50!!!!

Joan Rivers: An Audience With [DVD]
Joan Rivers: An Audience With [DVD]
Dvd ~ Joan Rivers

5.0 out of 5 stars Total Brilliance!!!!!, 5 Jan. 2009
This dvd is a surefire MUST for all Joan fans. You cannot go for 1 full minute without cracking into laughter. Even if your not a Joan fan or are unfamilier with her works, this dvd will not dissapoint, its a guaranteed pick-me-up, and she leaves us with a funny but poignent view at the very end when she talks about her late husband, she clearly upset but Joan carries on!! A true mega-star!!

Together We Belong
Together We Belong

5.0 out of 5 stars Another hit for Kim!!, 30 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Together We Belong (Audio CD)
This single contains the following;

Together we belong (radio edit)
Together we belong (album version)
Tu me vas si bien / Because you came (You came 2006 French version)
I fly

The title song is good in its own right, even though the two versions dont differ at all (except in length)
However the french version of 'You Came' is a treat in itself - simply imagine 'You Came 2006' but sang in French, Brilliant!
And of course there is 'I Fly' which could have stood out as a single in its own right, Magic!!

Baby Obey Me
Baby Obey Me

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!!!!!, 30 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Baby Obey Me (Audio CD)
This CD single is great value for money! Not only do you get 2 versions of the title track, you get Kim singing LIVE. First she belts out 'Enjoy the silence' to what sounds like a brilliant crowd!!! But then you get the live version of 'Kids in America' which is simply fantastic and sounds better live each year! Lets just hope Kim does a live DVD soon for us all so we can watch as we listen, Good on you Kim!!

The Hits Collection
The Hits Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb collection from EMI!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 29 April 2006
This review is from: The Hits Collection (Audio CD)
This album has surpassed all other Hits collections by EMI. Containing all of Kim releases whilst she was signed to RAK records aswell as all the B sides, it is a true 80's album. Although I own all of Kims early singles on vynal, hearing the B sides on compact disc has made me listen to them in a different light, most of them I think could have been as singles in their own right. This album also contains the rare 'Bitter Is Better', a Japanese only release from 1982 and 2 superb remixes, a MUST HAVE for and 80's fan.