Profile for charlesbreese > Reviews

The Best Of
The Best Of
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars A Superb CD, 19 Sept. 2004
This review is from: The Best Of (Audio CD)
Obviously, this is the latest in delerium's long line of CD's. I discovered Delerium fairly recently, as i was re-listening to an old pop compilation (Now 47) and i though "i quite like this song", this song being "silence". Thinking they were probably one hit wonders, i searched for their music on Amazon and came up with some folk music band! What was up with that?
Many of you probably did the same, and obviously it was spelt wrongly. Anyway their first Album i bought was Oddysey, i.e. the remix collection which gave me a good taste of delerium. Sadly, Delerium albums are very hard to come by, with their disting lack of publicity in the UK (of my form of 80, about 5 of us have heard of them, although with my advice many more are fans now). So imagine my joy at spotting this. Pretty much all the songs on it are wonderful, with some remixes i've never heard before and some originals i've only heard remixes of.
It starts off with the superb "Flowers Become Screens", dark but very catchy song. It then goes on to a remix of Silence, the biggest Delerium track around (although not the best). I believe this is the Brokedown Palace Remix, and it's a bit on the slow side. It sounds like it's sung with a church choir, rather than Sarah Mclachlan. Then comes the first of two new songs, Paris. I have to say, i HATE this song. For a start, it's in french, a language which i don't like, and one of the things i most like about Delerium is it's lyrics. And it's a bit poppy.
Next we have Truly, another remix and brilliant, very lively and full of energy.
Then comes Terra Firma, which has a very interesting opening, and is generally a good song. I like that it's more or less instrumental, with no actual lyrics in the back or foreground.
Incantation and After All follow, two typical Delerium songs, both of which are very good.
These are followed by Underwater, Above and Beyond's 21st Century Mix. It has a good fast beat to it, and quite a 'haunting' sound to it. This is followed by a track i'd never heard before, but is apparently on Chimera. It's pretty good! After that we have Remembrance, a fairly odd and boring song which sounds slightly eastern, in a bad way. This is followed by their second new song, You & I which is frankly crap. The (guy?s) voice is plain annoying. After these two lapses, we have superb finish with three beautiful and catchy songs. The first is Innocente, a gorgeous love song (and considering how my last few days have been, one i can relate to at the moment).
Then we have Euphoria (Firefly), a very ethereal song, but again very good. This is an original i've never heard, which is far superior to both it's remixes on Odyssey. Same goes for Innocente. And to finish it off, we have Above & Beyond's 21st Century Mix of Silence. This is excellent, fast paced, catchy (as you'd expect) and with good new background music. I challenge anyone not too like it.
Now it's very debatable whether these are Deleriums best songs or not, and personally there are some on there i'd have replaced. I'd have liked to have seen Myth and the Airscape Remix of silence on there. But this is a great album, and anyone with even a passing interest in Delerium should get this, as it certainly shows them at more or less their best.