Profile for S. Schofield > Reviews

Content by S. Schofield

S. Schofield (Essex, England)

Crucial M500 240GB SATA 6 GB/s 2.5-inch Internal Solid State Drive - CT240M500SSD1

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely revived my 3 year old VAIO, 19 Aug. 2013
Having worked my VAIO SR Series into the ground over the 3 years I've owned it, I decided to replace the HDD with an SSD to breathe some new life into it. At first I was a little sceptical about how much of a difference this would make, but I can honestly say that the M500 SSD has made a world of difference to my laptop. The startup time has been cut from about 90 seconds to only 20, programs start almost instantly, and the computer runs Adobe CS5.5 Master collection without even a hint of difficulty, something I could only have dreamed of before upgrading.

In terms of installation it was extremely easy, I purchased an OCZ upgrade kit with the M500 which gave me the necessary software, cable and enclosure in order to do a clone of my HDD. None of these items were included in the box with the M500, so you'll need to get them from elsewhere as I did. To clone, there's just a few easy steps:
1. Put the SSD into the enclosure and connect it to your computer using a USB cable.
2. Run the cloning software and select the source and destination drives
3. Sit back and grab a coffee while it clones the whole contents of your HDD, this takes a little while!
4. Shut down your computer and remove all power sources including the battery, remove the back panel and swap your HDD and SSD over (you'll probably need to find some instructions from your manufacturer on how to do this correctly)
5. Start up your blisteringly fast computer!

You can then use your old HDD as an external drive, or if you have any spare bays, as a secondary drive in your computer.

In summary, the M500 is an SSD that oozes quality both in its construction, as well as in its performance. It pulled the Hard Drive rank on Windows experience index up from 5.4 to 7.7 and has made a huge difference to my computing experience. I simply can't recommend it highly enough!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 20, 2015 6:27 PM BST

TeckNet® iEP380 5000mAh Dual-Port External Battery Pack and Charger for "The new iPad" the 3rd Gen ipad, iPad 2, iPad mini, iPhone 4S 4 3G, iPod Touch (1G to 5G), Android (Samsung Galaxy Note S S2, HTC Sensation EVO Thunderbolt, LG Optimus V), Blackberry (Bold curve Torch), Droid(Motorola Razr), Plus Major Tablet PCs with 5V input (Samsung, Blackberry, HTC) - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars A portable must-have for any gadget owner, 8 Feb. 2011
My first impression when i opened the box was how large the battery pack was. its considerably bigger than ipod touch, being about the same height, a bit wider and more than twice as thick. despite this, it only weighs about the same as my ipod. I found it very easy to charge up the first time, and had no issues using it to charge my 3rd gen ipod touch and LG viewty at the same time. I'm not exactly sure how much power one could actually get from this device, but im confident that it would quite happily recharge my ipod at least twice.
As a device to take on a car journey or plane with you, its excellent. it comes with a travel pouch and all the relevant connectors, including a coiled cable onto which the connectors fit. unfortunately, its only supplied with one cable which means that unless you use the usb cables provided with your handheld devices, you wont be able to charge and use the battery at the same time, or charge two things at once.
I like the feature that allows you to quickly check the battery level by pressing the on button, which will show you the level in terms of 3 leds.

overall, this product has its strong points in that it can be used to power more than one device at a time, although it would have been nice to have seen it supplied with more USB cables and perhaps a USB to Mains adapter to allow it to be charged from the mains, rather than just your PC

Nonetheless, its a great product, and i'd happily recommend it to anyone looking for a portable pwer source for those long journeys or perhaps music festivals.