Profile for home4212 > Reviews

Content by home4212

"home4212"

Harry Potter and the Bible: The Menace Behind the Magick (And the Bible Series)
Harry Potter and the Bible: The Menace Behind the Magick (And the Bible Series)
by Richard Abanes

1.0 out of 5 stars I forgive him for being deceived, 8 July 2003
I am a bible believing Christian. I am also in awe of the love shown in the Harry Potter books.
It is easy to become concerned with books which describe magic and to forget that the intention of them is not to promote witchcraft but to convey spiritual truths and to exercise creativity (something the bible recommends).
The fact that Harry is not as pure as the driven snow adds to his character. Jesus himself told stories as part of his ministry and the characters in his stories were less than perfect as well, eg the prodigal son, the preacher and the Levite in the Good Samaritan etc etc.
The fact of the matter is that although it is possible for the books to be twisted to reflect occult intentions, this is the case with every book, even the bible. Satan himself quoted scripture to Jesus in the wilderness to tempt him. Fortunately, Jesus did not see this as good enough reason to throw out the bible and nor should we allow Satan to do the same with Harry Potter.
The underlying message of the bible is love and the underlying message of Harry Potter (obviously not as pronounced) is also love. The love that Lily Potter showed when she gave up her life for Harry.
"Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends" - Jesus Christ (John 15:13)

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Book 5)
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Book 5)
by J. K. Rowling

4.0 out of 5 stars A Long time to wait, 8 July 2003
I was adamant that I would not be sucked in by the hype of Harry Potter and consequently did not read any of the books until I finally relented when the fourth came out. Shortly after this, I had read them all to my daughter and we have waited with baited breath for this one.
I think the timing of the books is excellent. My daughter is now old enough to appreciate the more adolescent story lines. I don't think the intended readers of say the Chamber of Secrets are the intended readers of Order of The Phoenix (OotP) but they are not that far away in ages.
I am sad to say that I have now read OotP and now have to wait for the next one. It was full of JK Rowling's colourful writing although it didn't give very much away. There weren't the surprises that there had been in the other books, especially the best of them all so far, Prisoner of Azkaban, but much was alluded to which will no doubt come into Books 6 and 7.
I have to applaud JK who is reputed to have more money than the queen but can still be bothered to finish off the set. It would have been easy for her to just decide to call it a day.
I cannot wait for the next one.

Moab is My Washpot
Moab is My Washpot
by Stephen Fry

5.0 out of 5 stars Once you've read this, you'll know why., 23 Oct. 2001
This review is from: Moab is My Washpot (Paperback)
I would never accuse Mr Fry of Pleonasm and this book is no exception. Every word is perfectly believable and one can't help being left with a deep feeling of sympathy for the less than loveable rogue. I can only say that I am glad he was academically held up since had he not been, he may never have met Mr Laurie. I was left with one question, What or Where is Moab?