Profile for polly lister > Reviews

polly lister

Owning Up: The Trilogy
Owning Up: The Trilogy

5.0 out of 5 stars Incomparable, 28 July 2014
A thoroughly enjoyable visit to George's childhood and early days very funny and full of booze, women and men and song

The Book of Lost Things
The Book of Lost Things

3.0 out of 5 stars Fearsome tale, 23 July 2014
A good story of right and wrong and how to tell the difference . Pilgrim's progress as a fairy tale

Nocturnes (Charlie Parker)
Nocturnes (Charlie Parker)

4.0 out of 5 stars infinite variety of horrible, 29 July 2013
This book of short stories is a great introduction to John Connolly's writing which I had missed before now. The opening story is gripping from the opening sentence but as I like to read when I'm eating this was something to be savoured after I had digested my meal . I did enjoy the variety of place ,characters and time in the stories which reminded me of the work of M.R James with the addition of highly descriptive fleshy details. I enjoyed it immensely and will be reading more, l will be recommending this set of stories to my 17 year old son who likes to open a conversation with such questions as" in your opinion ,was Hannibal Lecter wrong or simply a different form of human?"

Slipstream: A Memoir
Slipstream: A Memoir

4.0 out of 5 stars A BOOK TO SAVOUR AND REVISIT, 23 Jun 2013
I read this book with few expectations as I have not read many books from the author and knew little about her life. From the beginning I felt totally at home with the voice and character OF JANE HOWARD and enjoyed the highs and lows OF HER STORY.

The Game: A novel of suspense featuring Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes (A Mary Russell & Sherlock Holmes Mystery Book 7)

4.0 out of 5 stars A gripping. Read, 8 May 2013
Another educational and entertaining tale set in a pre independent India where characters are writ large on a complicated chess board of political intrigue.

The Beekeeper's Apprentice (A Mary Russell & Sherlock Holmes Mystery Book 1)
The Beekeeper's Apprentice (A Mary Russell & Sherlock Holmes Mystery Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars The beekeepers apprentice, 25 April 2013
First rate story, page turning pace and entertaining character development. I learns to love and esteem Holmes all over again.