Profile for Jane Louise > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Save with Jamie: Shop Smart, Cook Clever, Waste Less
Save with Jamie: Shop Smart, Cook Clever, Waste Less
by Jamie Oliver

2.0 out of 5 stars *How* many oven-baked recipes? Almost as bad as "A girl called Jack"., 29 Aug 2014
Borrowed this and "A Girl Called Jack" from our local library, and returned both, glad we hadn't spent the money. JO's book is full of recipes we know how to cook, but don't - we rarely use our oven to bake these days, because we cannot afford to use the electricity (ancient oven, and can' afford to replace it). I took time out to try and find recipes where the oven wasn't supposed to be used. There are some, but I gave up looking for them in the end. Went to cook dinner (fresh fish from supermarket with couscous and ratatouille)... £3 for the whole dinner, and cooked on the hob in minutes.

JM isn't quite as bad, but too many mentions of "the obligatory bottle of wine". Yes, she has an income now, but her book is peddled on the claim of feeding her family on £10 a week. Not with the recipes in that book, she didn't. Another one using the oven lots, and not accounting for that expense anywhere.

The Last Sin Eater
The Last Sin Eater
by Francine Rivers

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear. Ignorance and lack of education abound., 19 July 2014
This review is from: The Last Sin Eater (Paperback)
I found this in a second-hand book shop for a few pence, and since they were offering a "buy two, get third free", I picked this one as a free book. What a load of nonsense. A child who believes herself to be "full of sin" and no one with the decency to explain that she's just a little girl. No more, no less.

Donating it back out again, I just have to find a charity shop that will accept a religious tract.

A Girl Called Jack: 100 delicious budget recipes
A Girl Called Jack: 100 delicious budget recipes
by Jack Monroe

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but wine and oven baking on £10 a week....? Really?, 17 July 2014
I borrowed this from the library, as we can't afford to buy books just now. I've read through it, and whilst some recipes are very interesting, the ones requiring baking things in the oven made me wonder how one is supposed to afford the fuel to use the oven? We rarely use our oven these days, because we cannot afford the fuel to run it. We cook from scratch every night (plain fish or meat, or just rice, pasta or spuds, with our own sauces, also made from scratch), and just don't consider anything that need oven baking.

The other thing that I wondered about was the number of times wine appeared in recipes. Wine? On £10 a week? Seriously? We use worcester sauce and things like that to add flavour, but wine? There's no way we could afford to use wine in the food.

Most of this is the sort of thing we already cook, with a few ideas we hadn't considered yet. Having read the comments saying that so many of these recipes haven't actually been tested, I'm wondering whether we can afford to actually try. I do agree with the comments at the back of the book. There shouldn't be a need for anyone to be using a food bank in this day and age. Those who suggest food banks are not needed could probably do with spending a few days working at one, handing out help to those who need I. Or they could be locked in the stocks whilst the rest of us take turns to give them a good poke with sharp stick (not wasting food on them....).
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 3, 2014 4:41 PM BST

Philips PD7010 Portable DVD Player (discontinued by manufacturer)
Philips PD7010 Portable DVD Player (discontinued by manufacturer)

2.0 out of 5 stars Worked for about a year... failed just after the 12 month warranty., 15 May 2014
Bought one of these for our lad. It worked brilliantly, for just over a year. Then just stopped working. No abuse, no dropping, it's been kept on a shelf in the shade. Can't afford a replacement, and wouldn't buy another one, either. Son is gutted, and we're not impressed. Philips used to be a name one could trust. Not any longer, apparently.

Words and Pictures
Words and Pictures
by Quentin Blake

5.0 out of 5 stars Birthday gift from husband... love it., 12 April 2014
This review is from: Words and Pictures (Paperback)
I really enjoy Quentin Blake's work, and this is no exception. This was a birthday gift from husband, and I love it.

HQ Swallowtail Butterfly Kite
HQ Swallowtail Butterfly Kite
Offered by 20 Jahre Diabolo Freizeitsport

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful kite, flies easily... just make sure you build it correctly., 12 April 2014
Bought myself this kite because I love butterflies, and wanted a kite to enjoy whilst our son play with his kites. The rods must be inserted correctly (otherwise, it won't fly) in order to obtain the correct tension, and this can be disconcerting, as one feels one might break the rods. They are pliable enough, though, and once correctly built, this flies easily and beautifully. I spent half an hour flying it the first time I tried it, and only retreated home because it became cold. I'd have stayed out and flown this for longer if it had been warmer.

Doctor Who Dr Who Time Zone Playset DALEK INVASION inc EXCLUSIVE Dalek Hoverbout
Offered by scificollectorshop

3.0 out of 5 stars Correct dalek not even available for hovabout., 31 Jan 2014
Son wanted this for the hovabout. He says the set is okay (he wouldn't pay £10 for this set without the hovabout), but he now has to buy a dalek to fit the set. To add insult to injury, the dalek available to fit this set isn't the correct dalek for the episode the set portrays. He feels obliged to buy himself a dalek to fit on the hovabout, but won't be buying any more. "IT's awful... why would they suddenly reduce all the sizes? They're just trying to scam people out of more money."

Freya Women's Patsy Underwire Plunge Balcony Bra Peacock 30FF
Freya Women's Patsy Underwire Plunge Balcony Bra Peacock 30FF

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent...bought a second the day this arrived., 18 Jan 2014
Already had one of these, a couple of years old. Order this one, it arrived, tried it.. fits perfectly and beautifully. I've ordered another one, and would recommend the seller. If only they sold the matching brief, I'd indulge in a pair....

Hessian / Jute 'Delivered by Reindeer Mail' Christmas Santa Present Sack
Hessian / Jute 'Delivered by Reindeer Mail' Christmas Santa Present Sack
Offered by Amour Giftware

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely sack, great quality, beautifully packaged., 31 Dec 2013
Bought one of these to stash son's presents in. He loved it, and it may just have helped him t continue believing in Santa for another year. Excellent quality, this will be used again and again, thanks.

Stovax Stove Fire Glass Gel, Aga, Rayburn & Oven Cleaner Gel 500ml Brand New Full Strength Gel
Offered by DeBrett Fires

1.0 out of 5 stars No improvement over using ash., 15 Dec 2013
I used ash from the burned wood to clean our stove glass. Tried a friend's bottle of this, but no difference, so didn't buy any of our own, but did inform our friend (one good turn deserves another). I believe they're using ash now, too.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7