Profile for E. R. Wilding > Reviews

Content by E. R. Wilding

E. R. Wilding (Hull, UK)

Rocksmith - includes Real Tone Cable (Xbox 360)
Rocksmith - includes Real Tone Cable (Xbox 360)
Offered by Super-bargains

2.0 out of 5 stars "Anyone Can Play Guitar" - Well Not Me, 12 Oct 2012
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
Maybe I have a motor neuron disorder, but I just can't keep up with what this game expects of me. I've been doing about 30 minutes to an hour per day on it, trying to improve. The first two days were quite good. I was learning single notes playing along to the Rolling Stones.
However, after the third day, I was ready to destroy the game. I wish I had. Today is the fourth day and when this page was really, really slow to load, I finally snapped and nearly destroyed my Macbook.
At first, the learning curve seemed just right, like a gentle hill. On day three it became like climbing Kilimanjaro, then today, K2. I was of the opinion that, if you were struggling, the AI would slow everything down and let you try again (it did on the first day). Yesterday I struggled like hell. So what did the game do? Throw more notes at me to make it even harder!
If you are already quite a good guitarist then you'll not need this anyway. If you're a beginner, it will go much too fast for you and you'll want to quit. So, Ubisoft, just who is this supposed to be aimed at?
Buying this was the biggest mistake I have ever made. I only give it two stars for the idea which is a very good one. Shame the execution is so blooming pathetic.

Carolus Rex [Limited Digi]
Carolus Rex [Limited Digi]

5.0 out of 5 stars Metal for History Buffs, 11 July 2012
If you have any interest in the military history of Northern Europe, then you're likely to enjoy this record. And if you like top class power metal AND military history, like me, you'll LOVE this!
This covers different eras of the Swedish Empire's attempts to expand through Europe, particularly regards to the campaigns of Charles XII.
These guys have a way of bringing history to life. But it's more than that: they also know how to construct a good song. Lots of good choruses and a melodic touch make it very enjoyable.
I like the fact that Sabaton doesn't just glorify war, too. There are slower, more comtemplative songs like "A Lifetime of War". How do the people of a nation cope with constant war being waged by their nation?
A good overview of the themes behind the Great Northern War. And good songs!

Runaway
Runaway
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Class AOR, 11 July 2012
This review is from: Runaway (Audio CD)
I think that this must be one of the most underrated soft rock releases ever. I'd heard little of Dakota before this was re-released, but it is fantastic.
The opening title track starts off building slowly, with synths bubbling, before bigger chords come in, followed by great vocals. Finally, the guitar comes in to add a bit more clout, and then come the drums. Great start to a song. When the percussion comes in it's very empowering, the vocals become more impassioned.
Later on comes "Heroes", a slower number with overtones of the classic 80s power ballad, complete with soaring chorus vocals.
Towards the end, you get "Angry Men". It starts very slowly and unremarkably. But once you hit the chorus, it's all going on.
This album is a great blend of light and dark. I think that a lot of songwriters these days forget the need to use contrast, but it works beautifully here.

8 Diagrams: +DVD
8 Diagrams: +DVD

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawed Genius, 20 Dec 2007
This review is from: 8 Diagrams: +DVD (Audio CD)
A lot of people have been slating this album based on the fact that it is not 36 Chambers Part 2, and because the RZA has changed his production style.
While I do not think that the first part of this criticism is a fair judgement (1993 was 14 years ago), I do understand the point that I think they are making, especially with regards to comparisons of 36 to the RZA's new productions. That is, the greatest strength of Wu-Tang was that 9 men could rap together on one track, yet display 9 distinct styles. The "classic" Wu beats were funky, yet simple enough to allow room for the members to deviate from one verbal rhythm to another. On some occasions, the newer RZA productions, because of their complexity, shoehorn the rappers into one style which all the different members mostly have to stick to.
The tracks on which this appears to happen, on 8 Diagrams, are on "Gun Will Go" and "Stick Me for My Riches". In these tracks, the beat is slower, or more complex and serves to eliminate the flexibility of the rappers' styles. "Sunlight" is a similarly slow mover, and a little unfunky, but RZA makes a solid verbal performance, which just saves it.
However, thankfully, on most of the tracks here, it is not the case that the production inhibits the rapping. Most of the tracks actually benefit from the new style productions. When it works, it really works. "Rushing Elephants" is a very lavish sounding production, and possibly my favourite track. Not only is it fast enough to let the boys go to work, but the soundscape is stunning and really compliments the voices. Another example of the new style really working is "Weak Spot".
Another common criticism of this album is the use of R n B choruses. Like with RZA's new production styles, when the R n B choruses work, they really work, but when they don't they're not so good.
The good ones are "Starter" and "Life Changes". The latter is the best of the sung choruses, embellishing on the tribute to O.D.B..
The only sung chorus that is really, really poor is "Unpredictable". The track itself, in terms of rapping and production, is one of the best on the set, but the sung chorus is completely alien to the style of music used in the production and is just wrong.
All in all, 8 Diagrams is something of a battle between old hip-hop and new, old Wu and new. Where the two are most at odds, it is a little jarring, but where the two fit together in union, it is inspiring. The RZA now just needs to marry the two together with more consistancy and, in a few years, we could have a classic on the way. Overall, I hope that the Wu stays together and that we can get more "Rushing Elephants", and less "Gun Will Go".

Songs
Songs

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Stuff, 10 Mar 2006
This review is from: Songs (Audio CD)
I really like this album. I somewhat agree with the previous reviewer that the material, at times, seems very different throughout the album. I don't know if that's bad or good though.
Still, there is fantastic musicianship here and good singing too.
Does anyone else think that Jon Boden's slight vibretto on some lines makes him sound like Major Bloodnok on The Goon Show? I think that's great stuff! Good singing.

Chutes Too Narrow
Chutes Too Narrow

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, 22 Jan 2005
This review is from: Chutes Too Narrow (Audio CD)
The cover of the album can sum up the content of the disk. The recording is bright, colourful and intriguing.
It would seem as though the music has a lot of influences. There are a lot of great memorable pieces and fluctuations to keep the listener interested.
The lyrics are also interesting and they stick to your brain.
It has been a pleasure to here the work on this album.

Awb [Us Import]
Awb [Us Import]

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Notch Soul, 13 Feb 2004
This review is from: Awb [Us Import] (Audio CD)
This is a fantastic album, probably the best that I've ever heard. There is not a single weak song.
I bought this months ago and must have heard it a hundred times since then.
However, the music still sounds as fresh on the 101st listen as it did on the 1st.
I would definately recommend it. I love the falsetto.

In Their Own Words Vol. 1
In Their Own Words Vol. 1

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bradshaws, 12 Jan 2004
I first heard "The Bradshaws" when it was broadcast on Talk Radio, several years ago. I have since purchased several volumes of the cassettes.
I have not yet purchased the volumes on CD, but I intend to, as the creator said that the CDs would include extra stuff.
Buzz Hawkins is the king.

Best Shots: The Greatest NFL Photography of the Century
Best Shots: The Greatest NFL Photography of the Century
by Joe Namath

5.0 out of 5 stars Sports Photography at its Best, 22 Oct 2003
My title says it all.
If you are looking for a pictoral history of the NFL, then this is probably an appropriate title as, although it is not, in any way, meant to be a chronological journey, it does contain some of the classic images that have been captured throughout the years. Some examples would be the famous image of a beaten Yelberton Abraham Tittle kneeling on the turf, or that of his teammate, Frank Gifford, lying stricken after encountering the presence of fellow Hall of Fame inductee, Chuck Bednarik.
I would recommend this to all those who are interested in sports photography, especially if you have a passing interest in the NFL.

1990s NFL Flashback
1990s NFL Flashback
by Matt Zeigler

4.0 out of 5 stars 1990s Flashback, 17 July 2003
This review is from: 1990s NFL Flashback (Paperback)
I have been a fan of the gridiron since the late 80s/early 90s.
With this in mind, I decided, for my enjoyment, to search out some reading material that would cover my past NFL viewing experiences.
The title of the book, "1990s NFL Flashback", suggests a recapturing of that era of football, as if the title were a type of reflective time capsule for the period. This considered, I was hoping that some of the "forgotten" stars of the era may be featured. By this I mean the Christian Okoyes, the Brian Bosworths, the Barry Fosters, players who, although they may not be as well-known now as they once were, almost represented an era.
Sadly, this title passes by such characters. However, this is perhaps its only major flaw, in my eyes.
The book actually focuses on the legends that were made in this era, as well as the draft picks of the day, and the mid-decade expansion boom, as the Jaguars and Panthers joined the league.
The title dedicates whole chapters to the luminaries of the decade, including the likes of Troy Aikman, Steve Young and Jerry Rice. It also has a chapter on the draft picks of the time, starting with Jeff George, the strong-armed quarterback who started his career with the Indianapolis Colts.
Finally, the author talks of the league's expansion in 1995.
While this book wasn't quite what I would personally preferred to have seen under such a promising title, it is definately a very informative piece, going into great details about the achievements of the featured athletes.
I would recommend this title to anyone who would like a slice of recent NFL history.