Profile for Peter Buckley > Reviews

Content by Peter Buckley

Peter Buckley "peter15115" (Dyfed, Wales)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
NOCO BLSOLAR2 Solar Battery Charger
NOCO BLSOLAR2 Solar Battery Charger

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gadget!, 15 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The NOCO BLSOLAR2 trickle charger is one of the top choices for maintaining 12 volt batteries, including motorcycles, ATVs, tractors, lawn mowers, caravans, etc.

It is suitable for trickle charging all types of lead-acid batteries, whether wet, gel, maintenance free, this panel can keep your battery maintained.

I wondered how well it would handle our weather. This panel is completely waterproof, and completely safe to use outdoors. In fact, the thin film technology offers optimal performance in low-light, cloudy, and overcast conditions. For those who have to use older vehicles for multiple short, stop-start journeys, this gadget is a handy back-up to your charging system.

Consolations of the Forest: Alone in a Cabin in the Middle Taiga
Consolations of the Forest: Alone in a Cabin in the Middle Taiga
by Sylvain Tesson

4.0 out of 5 stars Siberian castaway, 15 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I enjoyed this very personal account. I felt Sylvain Tesson really tried to convey his impressions, not simply of the awe-inspiring Siberian setting, but of his life. It was an absorbing read for a different reason, it had you imagining how you might have felt if lost in the wilderness, or simply how you might cope if away from any human contact for an extended period. I also enjoyed his eclectic selection of books to read whilst in isolation, a few I might even have chosen myself. My only gripe would be that the whole account sometimes came across as artificial, a choice denied to many in life's rat-race who would jump at the offer, or at least for a day or two. Perhaps deliberately, there was little practicality about his reflections, and the book tended to then become "what was the point?". Worth four stars, though.

Finish All-in-One Regular (Pack of one, Total 56 Tablets )
Finish All-in-One Regular (Pack of one, Total 56 Tablets )

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent finish, 22 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Better than other dishwasher tablets I have tried. Always leaves my dishes and glasses looking great. I just used the 'glasses' setting on my dishwasher and was pleased. Would recommend.

Tacwise Z1-140 Staple Gun. Staple Gun Tacker
Tacwise Z1-140 Staple Gun. Staple Gun Tacker

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality staple gun, 29 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I use staple guns in construction, mainly for fixing membrane and insulation products to timber frame construction. Having used a variety of types and makes, I can recommend this one; plastic cased guns are not my favourite, I have associated them with premature failure. This gun seems more robust, and although time will tell, for a light duty gun it is impressive. Recommended.

European Building Construction Illustrated
European Building Construction Illustrated
by Francis D. K. Ching

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reference for the construction enthusiast, 29 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This publication was of initial interest because what building construction I do get involved with, usually as a sideline to my normal work, is expected to reach industry standard. This book was ideal for reassuring me and my customers. It contains a vast amount of information, I can only judge it by areas I am familiar with, damp-proofing, timber joinery, for example. I was very impressed with the clear accurate way each topic was covered, and especially by the illustrations. They set this book ahead of the competition. Recommended.

Brain On Fire: My Month of Madness
Brain On Fire: My Month of Madness
by Susannah Cahalan

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring account..recovering from a life interupted..., 29 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What can it be like to suffer the effects of a rare disorder and then to be left feeling you were insane? Thankfully Susannah Cahalan was diagnosed by Dr. Souhel Najjar and Dr. Josep Dalmau, the disorder was anti-NMDA-receptor autoimmune encephalitis. This of course, is not a medical textbook, but is written with first-person clarity and understanding, and as an intensely human book, valuable in itself, but for anyone who has faced a medical emergency, inspiring. Highly recommended.

Finish Quantum Regular (Pack of one, Total 45 Tablets )
Finish Quantum Regular (Pack of one, Total 45 Tablets )

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as it gets, 23 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
You can't beat these tablets, even on the quick wash they left everything clean and sparkly. My dishwasher actually came with these new, and so I'm happy to use the recommended brand.

The Lying Year
The Lying Year
by Andrei Gelasimov

2.0 out of 5 stars What was the point?, 19 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Lying Year (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
From the outset, I had better declare a bias- I am no lover of 'contemporary fiction'. Along with an admiration for the Russian classics (perhaps that was why the book interested me), I was prepared to be won over. I wasn't. In the past, I have discovered a pleasure in reading books where the author's first language is not English, but in this case, that made no difference, although in fairness the author was not writing in English. Could any subtlety be lost in translation? Trouble is, this story was far from subtle, or even plausible. The depressingly amoral tone just did not let up. It did not shed any light on, let alone promote, Putin's Russia. I think I will stick to Pushkin's. Look for better books to translate please, Amazon.

College (Un)Bound: The Future of Higher Education and What It Means for Students
by Jeffrey J. Selingo

5.0 out of 5 stars College: default commodity of convenience?, 15 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Jeffrey Selingo takes a long, hard look at where American higher education is headed. He also empathises with real students to produce an account of the transformations taking place in the world of college. The central message is sobering, the rush to adapt to modern educational (and recreational) demands is expensive, and ultimately borne by the future taxpayers, today's students. Can it be right so many leave college at the start of their working lives tens of thousands of dollars in debt? The picture is not so different in Britain today. Take into account the information technology revolution, and the intense post-graduate work competition, and you have the ingredients for a book I wish I read before college. Highly recommended.

Sustainability: All That Matters
Sustainability: All That Matters
by Chris Goodall

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential view of the big question.., 15 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
"..Building a sustainable society is perhaps the greatest test that the world has ever faced. Today's generation has borrowed from the future by grabbing prosperity now and imposing the cost on the next generation.."
The truth is, the most powerful influences on our world are little interested in sustainability, or the management of earth's resources in an equitable fashion with future generations in mind. Chris Goodall presents the facts in a concise, non-confrontational manner such that the most entrenched politician could not deny. Particularly interesting to see he has picked up on the restructuring of our traditional energy industries that must take place once it is realised their potential assets will inevitably be curtailed by CO2 emissions targets. Essential reading.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13