Profile for Sylvia Wrigley > Reviews

Content by Sylvia Wrigley

Sylvia Wrigley (Costa del Sol, Spain)

Page: 1 | 2
Russell Hobbs 12051-56 Salt and Pepper Grinders, Battery Powered - Stainless Steel

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 6 Feb. 2015
Grinds much too fine, even at the coarsest setting.

Black Butterfly Vintage Style 1950's Rockabilly Wedding Prom Pinup Dress (Black - Large Roses, 20)
Offered by Black Butterfly Clothing

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 6 Feb. 2015
A bit tighter than I'd hoped for but lovely!

Drinks by the Dram Christmas Crackers
Drinks by the Dram Christmas Crackers

5.0 out of 5 stars Special Occassion Gift, 6 Feb. 2015
Expensive but made for a really fun exchange in our small Christmas dinner.

Hush Puppies Womens Coco Imagery Boots HW05139 Black WP Leather 5 UK, 37.5 EU, 7 US

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for wearing with a lot of walking, 6 Feb. 2015
Rubs a wee bit on the toe, which is disappointing. I've previously found Hush Puppies boots super comfortable.

Fitbit One Wireless Activity and Sleep Tracker - Burgundy
Fitbit One Wireless Activity and Sleep Tracker - Burgundy
Offered by DynamicSales UK

5.0 out of 5 stars easy to use, 19 Nov. 2014
Simple, easy to use. I actually leave mine in my handbag and just check my phone now and again. The walking I do without my bag is minimal and it means I don't have to worry each day about attaching it to my outfit and remembering to detach it again. I really notice when I'm getting lazy and it spurs me on to get more done. Also synchs with IFTTT, so I can send myself text messages to spur me on if my count is low after lunch. :)

Nielsen-Massey Madagascan Bourbon Vanilla Bean Paste 944 ml
Nielsen-Massey Madagascan Bourbon Vanilla Bean Paste 944 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 Sept. 2014
Delish.

Women's Made in Italy Linen Trousers (X Large, Stone)
Women's Made in Italy Linen Trousers (X Large, Stone)

2.0 out of 5 stars XL tight around the hips, 14 Sept. 2014
These have a tight band around an inch under the waistline which is terribly unflattering.

Mizuno Wave Nexus 6 Women's Running Shoes - 5
Mizuno Wave Nexus 6 Women's Running Shoes - 5

5.0 out of 5 stars Great service; great shoes, 22 Nov. 2012
I received my shoes promptly, well packed and in good condition. The shoes are very comfortable - I ran my longest distance ever the first day that I put them on.

7th Sigma
7th Sigma
by Steven Gould

5.0 out of 5 stars Sci-Fi Wild West Thriller, 13 July 2011
This review is from: 7th Sigma (Hardcover)
7th Sigma, the latest novel by Jumper author Steven Gould, is an exhilarating mash-up of Western and Sci-Fi. The story takes place in a near-future New Mexico and invokes the romance of the American Southwest. The region has been infested by tiny robotic insects who thrive on metal. They are not specifically hostile to humans but will not hesitate to burrow straight through people in order to get to the other side.

The result is a futuristic frontier setting (nothing like Firefly) with a unique set of issues to be solved. The people remaining in the Southwest are forced to avoid all metal to survive. The settlers struggle to survive in a hostile environment with little understanding from the outside world. The resulting society is as harsh and tight-knit as one would expect in the Wild West.

Our hero, Kimble, was born in the territory and has never experienced life any other way. The story opens with this young runaway on his own trying to survive in the future frontier. The troubled young man is taken in by a dojo where he improves his aikido and tries to grasp the concepts of Zen. Kimble takes a hard look at what family means to him on a backdrop of fast-moving spy plot as he volunteers to help the Territorial Army.

7th Sigma includes a heart-racing combination of hero worship, future tech, old fashioned western setting, hand-to-hand combat and nano-tech.

Based on Rudyard Kipling's Kim, this is both an adventure and a coming-of-age story which can hold its own against the classics. I highly recommend this book as a fun and thoughtful adventure novel for all ages.

Up Against It
Up Against It
by M. J. Locke

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 31 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Up Against It (Hardcover)
I'm not often one for hard science fiction because ...well partially because my science isn't that strong... but also because so much hard science-fiction focuses on the detail with the result that the scientific explanations and world-building overshadow the story. Too often, a brilliantly imagined world is inhabited by lacklustre protagonists who have low-level conflicts against one-dimensional enemies.

Up Against It is a brilliant counter-example: characterisation and plot shine against a futuristic backdrop beyond my wildest imaginations. It is set in an Phocaea, a low-gee asteroid outpost filled with awesome special effects and deep world-building - all the hallmarks of a real future. The inhabitants are used to this, even if I as a reader wasn't, and tumble through the buildings, grabbing handholds and using their weight in ways that downsiders like us can barely envisage.

I fell in love with Geoff the moment we met him and his friends: a teenager overshadowed by his brother, trying desperately to prove himself to his father and the world. A boy both vulnerable and incorrigible who gets thrown into events and doesn't falter.

Jane is a sympathetic bureaucrat trying to do the best that she can for the asteroid which she calls home, taking tough decisions on a personal and professional level. She has a short temper when it comes to politics and a healthy dislike for the constant broadcast of their colony as Earthside entertainment.

On top of this, the adventure packed plot involving the Martian mafia and you've got a rip-roaring story that had me turning pages deep into the night.

I highly recommend this book.

Page: 1 | 2