Profile for Chris Hoare > Reviews

Content by Chris Hoare
Top Reviewer Ranking: 171

Chris Hoare "Chris" (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars A life less ordinary, 6 Sep 2014
I'm not sure I have seen TV like this before and its a crying shame. The community of young expat adults moving in and around paris society chatting in bars and going to parties. Cosmopolitans feels like Woody Allen made a TV Show and set it amongst a group of expat brats in Paris; and he didn't cast himself the pilot was excellent; though part of me thinks the reason Woody Allen didn't do TV is how do you stretch this to 24 episodes?

It was the first of the current pilots I watched twice ... 5* If only for the Vancouver line and everything it says about being that age.

Dvd
Offered by Lovefilm UK Limited

3.0 out of 5 stars Descent, 6 Sep 2014
This is a great premise; but the descent of the characters over the pilot was too pronounced.

Given the rapid descent of his state of mind I don't know right now if I want to side with Judge Harris or not. My personal beliefs also make me feel he is delusional and I wanting to side with some force working against him that was missing from the pilot .

So For prolonged appeal they almost need a reboot to reset his mental state and to introduce some peril over time as the story pans out.

Lexar Professional Workflow SR1 USB 3.0 SD Card Reader - Black
Lexar Professional Workflow SR1 USB 3.0 SD Card Reader - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Super fast well built SD Card Reader, 3 Sep 2014
The Lexar Professional USB3 SD Card reader will do nothing more than save you time. Compared to importing photos from the card reader built into my laptop the import times are consistently reduced to about a third.

Lexar designed it to work with their card reader dock; but works fine as a stand alone SD Card reader;all my current cameras use SD cards but you can get it with Compact flash or XWD if that is what you need. Lexar have included a USB3 cable to get you going. It isn't the smallest reader so performance comes at the cost of a small amount of convenience but comfortably fits into a pocket on my camera bag so i can take it around with me and quickly import my photos into lightroom.

Its read every card I have plugged into it without issue; its much quicker than a USB2 or my built in card reader and saves precious time each time I use it which makes it easily worth the asking price.

Withings Wireless Blood Pressure Monitor (Apple and Android compliant)
Withings Wireless Blood Pressure Monitor (Apple and Android compliant)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cut the cord., 3 Sep 2014
When I upgraded my iPhone I had a problem in that the dock connector on my original blood pressure monitor didn't fit my new phone; though it worked fine with a dock adaptor. That said the wire was always a pain; and my wish was granted with the release of the bluetooth version. The meter looks identical to the original WIthings' blood pressure monitor; just without the wires.

Withing's box opening experience is always excellent; opening the Blood Pressure Monitor box you get the cuff (batteries included) along with a manual explaining how to hook it up to your phone to take readings; already having the app installed it was a question of connecting the bluetooth together and I was away. If you don't its a question of getting it from your app store (Amazon, apple, google play.)

Taking a blood pressure reading once enabled is as simple as powering on the cuff so it can connect to your phone; loading the app and pressing go when it tells you to. The app even shows you how to use the cuff to help you get it right. Once its taken your blood pressure it stores your data and presents it back to you; if you have other WIthings' devices you slowly build up a portrait of your live and for me that is the benefit of this system. Taking a blood pressure reading once or twice a week gives me a history on my phone; so the one time a year a health professional takes it I can show them better data.

The original was good - and the cuff works with large (and small) arms which some other devices wouldn't work with; cutting the cord makes it proofed against future phone upgrades for the foreseeable future. Its not the cheapest cuff; but the app and cuff is very easy to use and allows you to share data with medical professionals.

Wenger Passport Wallets WE6193GY Grey
Wenger Passport Wallets WE6193GY Grey

4.0 out of 5 stars Simplify Travel, 3 Sep 2014
The Wenger Document case is an ideal store for passports and travel money/ cards. As a very frequent traveller its always the last thing I put in my bag so i know i have it; and I leave it stocked with currency; passports and hotel / airline frequent guest cards. Travelling for work its not really a sensible size for printing and storing complex itineraries; but a typical holiday will happily fit printed on A4; folded up on one side. Once you have pared your car; there is even a clip for your car keys so you know where they are when you get back...

TP-Link TL-PB10400 10400 mAh Portable Power Bank External Battery Charger (2 USB ports for iPhone, iPad, Samsung Galaxy, Android Smartphones and Tablets)

5.0 out of 5 stars Power to the people, 3 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The TP-Link PB10400 power bank is well presented; it comes in a nice box and it looks better than its competitors and feels pleasant to hold in your hand - and at about 250g its not going to weigh your bag down for carrying it around. In the box you also get a carrying pouch (handy to protect the sockets - put the socket end in the bag first), micro usb cable that you need to charge it back up; it doesn't include a power adaptor to charge it up from.

Charging the Powerbank it up takes quite a while; I have always charged it overnight so its not something I ever waited for- the battery is likely 3-5x the capacity of the one in your phone so it needs the time to get charged up. The PB10400 charges quickly but as the power in the vault runs down so does the speed of recharging your device. The PB10400 happily charged both my phones at the same time via its twin USB sockets. The two sockets clear labels for the different currents available - 1 or 2 Amp. The 2Amp socket is for charging tablets (though it will happily charge a phone (or any other device that charges over usb too) whilst the 1A is for everything else. If you aren't sure how much charge is left in the device then you can press the status button and between 1 and 4 small green indicator lights will show how much charge is left.

TP Link have produced a power bank that feels more complete that its competitors; the simple touch of adding the torch let me remove the torch I carry in my overnight bag (when the power fails in a hotel room you are always glad you have it.) The built in torch not the light of the heavens but it will help you get around a room in the dark. That thoughtfulness of design is differentiator for me of the TP-Link Power Bank over competitors is they have made something that feels more like a consumer device whilst other power banks have felt more industrial. 5*

Philips GC8638/20 PerfectCare Aqua Iron Steam Generator with One Perfect Temperature and 280 g Steam Boost, 2500 ml, 2400 Watt, 5.3 Bar, Navy

4.0 out of 5 stars Complexity Be Gone, 27 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have reviewed a few irons on Amazon over the years; and Philips GC8638/20 PerfectCare Aqua Iron Steam Generator not only has the longest name it is also by far the largest. Over the reviews one thing became more and more clear; Irons have use ever more energy with the benefit of this is Ironing time has reduced year on year. All these irons have also become more and more complex; one Iron I have had to test had over 80 temperature settings to choose from - far too complex for a man doing his own ironing.

Then into my life steps the Aqua Iron Steam Generator no more complexity; fill it up with a LOT of water (there is a drain if you need to empty it for storage after ironing - a full tank of water happily did more than 15 shirts) and press a single button. There are no heat settings just a More steam trigger on the iron; using the Generator I found i could go from cotton shirts to a silk tie without any settings changes which further speeds up ironing. After pressing the single power button; the iron itself pulses a blue light. When the colour becomes solid blue its ready for use and you are away; the only thing you see whilst ironing is the sound of the pump injecting water to the steam generator.

The iron has a good friction free base plate and it glides whilst Ironing trousers and on shirts the pointed tip easily reaching between buttons on the board. The separate iron and steam generator makes for a light iron; and despite the light weight the copious steam it generates removes the creases. The connecting cord is long - long enough I could leave the iron on the Kitchen counter and iron on the board without the generator on it. The iron itself works horizontally on the board so you can iron jackets (or Curtains) whilst they are hung up.

Out of use the cord stores under the water tank; and is easy to reinsert; all you need to then is find the space in your cupboard to store it. Having been using it for the last month that is really my only real complaint with the iron; the steam generator iron is about 4 times the size of my old Azure iron. That said I have cleared the space in my cupboard to save some more time in my ironing.

eSynic 3.5" USB External Floppy Disk Drive Diskette 1.44MB FDD for Laptop PC - Compatible with Windows 98/SE/2000/ME/XP/VISTA/Windows 7
Offered by eSynic

5.0 out of 5 stars Plug and play and read disks like its the 90s all over again, 21 Aug 2014
We found we had no floppy drives left in the office; and suddenly needed to read a decades old floppy disk. After a huge debate about finding an old drive a quick search on amazon found this very reasonably priced drive. Fulfilled from an Amazon warehouse it arrived next day and plugged into a Windows 8 PC it read the disk without drivers or fuss. The unit feels robust and takes all its power from the USB cable so no need for a power brick.

The eSynic is very reasonably priced - I like that mine was also shipped from Amazon so qualified for prime - if you find yourself in the need to read an old disk this should be fine.

Tayogo Magic Cube Rechargeable Portable Bluetooth Wireless Speaker with 3.5mm Audio Port for Iphones, Ipads, Android Cell Phones, Touch Screen Tablets, Macbooks, Laptop Computers, Mp3 Players & Portable Cd/dvd Players (gold)
Offered by Tayogo_Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars No more tinny built in speakers, 21 Aug 2014
My Tayogo magic Cube speaker came (Fulfilled from an Amazon warehouse which is good for Prime customers or anyone in a hurry) in a gold coloured plastic; and it comes in other colours. Its cube shaped and about the size of a kit kat finger in all directions. The speaker itself comes in presentable packaging which is always nice when getting a gift. Inside there is a tiny manual; a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable for direct connections for devices without bluetooth, a USB charging cable and the speaker.

Connecting the Magic Cube to a phone via bluetooth was easy on both my iPhone and Android running Samsung S4. Go to bluetooth devices on the phone; power up the cube and hold the bluetooth connect button on the top till it beeps; a few seconds later Magic Cube was visible as a connectable device on the phone; selecting it caused them to pair and the cube again beeped to indicate it was done (and a blue light flashes on the side.) After that whatever sounds my phone made came out of the Cube - and on one occasion that was a phone call i received which was well received on the other end - no complaints about the microphone.

That the magic cube charges by USB won it extra plaudits from the get go; I like things that charge by USB as its one less charger to carry around in your bag. Once charged the battery has always lasted far longer than I expected. Carry the Magic Cube I have doneI used it in the office for the magic hour before anyone else arrived; used it around my home and i slipped it into my carry on bag and took it on a short work trip to Belfast. For all the moving around the plastic looks as it did when it arrived; and the excellent non slip bass is still there.

I listen to a lot of music, podcasts and the radio streaming from my Phone whilst I'm working; the magic cube also worked connected to my laptop (replacing the speakers whilst I watched a film.) For the money you are spending the Magic Cube sounds excellent. The sound isn't biased so it sounds flat; I generally favour this you aren't overwhelmed by bass but it isn't to sparkly at the higher end resulting in something pleasant. You aren't hearing everything the producer wanted you to hear Its mono for a start) but as a replacement for the tinny speakers on my phone and laptop be it at home, the office and on the road it improved the experience of everything I was listening to at the expense of a small amount of the bag I was using. It freed me from wearing headphones all the time too - which lets you move around more. The Magic Cube isn't going to fill a room with music in the way a full Hifi can and that makes it ideal for kids where you don't want them turning the neighbours deaf.

I was provided Magic Cube for review and having been using it for a few weeks I am happy to have it around. The magic cube could be a treat or at the price its something in gift buying range and I think the recipient would be more than happy with it. It gets 5* because the combination of price, usb charging and acceptable sound quality.

Pantone Universe iPhone 5/5s IMD Cover - Deep Lavender
Pantone Universe iPhone 5/5s IMD Cover - Deep Lavender

4.0 out of 5 stars 18-3633 or Purple to its friends., 6 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In the Pantone Universe - 18-3633 is called Deep Lavender; in my universe its Purple. Case Scenarios Pantone case is a very rigid plastic; that holds your iPhone 5 or 5s phone snugly - you can remove it by pressing it out through the cut out for your camera. The back is a nicely polished material; and the sides have cut shapes to create texture (and allow them to write Case Scenario on their product.)

For science and not at all because I'm clumsy I have dropped my phone a few times and neither the case nor the phone looks any the worse for wear. For finding your phone on a table of the exact same black cases this stands out.

Why only 4*'s well its not the cheapest case and it is just plastic but it is very purple and i like standing out amongst the clone. My last case had a fleck lining for the phone; and a card slot for a swipe card both of which are a preference thing; but they weren't purple and that is why this is the case on my phone.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20