Profile for Chris Hoare > Reviews

Content by Chris Hoare
Top Reviewer Ranking: 121

Chris Hoare "Chris" (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
TONI&GUY Deep Barrel Waver
TONI&GUY Deep Barrel Waver

3.0 out of 5 stars Heavy, 13 Oct. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The TONI&GUY Deep Barrel Waver didn’t work for me. I have lots of fine hair and it gave me a nice wave but it did have a frizzy look to it! It does heat up quickly and had a good lock on it so children will find it difficult to open it accidentally . Using it on children’s hair was easy once they sat still. The Deep Barrel Waver is quite heavy which makes it difficult to use on yourself; as after a while your wrist aches.

The Deep Waver did give hair good volume and it was easy to get a wavy hairstyle; its just much easier to get someone to use it on your hair than do it yourself - and the waves last longer when you use some product.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Anker PowerPort 6 High Power Fast 60W 6-Port Desktop USB Mains Charger with PowerIQ Technology for iPhone, iPad, Samsung S6 / S6 Edge, Nexus, HTC M9, Nokia, Motorola and More (Black)
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars rugged, 27 Sept. 2015
Everything is slowly charging over USB; it started with phones - and i carry two as work insists I have a separate one - as well as other devices that travel with me like cameras or my Sonicate toothbrush. For the longest time i used the sockets on my laptop - but that relegated it to a table at night at stopped me watching films on it whilst i traveled. I had a slightly cheaper model from another manufacturer for review a year or two ago. It was made from high quality plastic but over that time it hasn't held up to my punishing travel. So I looked for a new model; thanks to all the positive reviews already on amazon and that the Anker 60w ticked my two most important boxes for 2015; a metal chassis and the ability to charge high voltage devices from all 6 usb sockets (my iPhone 6+ charges much quicker on a high amp socket than it does a standard one.)

Its survived an 18k mile journey to 5 countries already with barely a scratch on it. If you travel with a lot of USB on your own or just at home a device like this makes charging your devices much simpler and tidier.

Banner Bonnie 6pcs Aluminum Carabiner Screw Lock D-ring Keychain Clip Hook- For Home, RV, Camping, Fishing, Hiking, Traveling and Keychain
Offered by Bannerbonnie

5.0 out of 5 stars handy light colorful, 27 Sept. 2015
As the Banner Bonnie Carabiners are made of aluminum they are not for carrying anything of great weight; what they are useful for is attaching things to your bag like a water bottle or to connect your bag to your tripod if you are a photographer. There are a decent range of colors in the pack; the size is good for looping round handles or bag straps and then connecting to something else.
Comment Comment | Permalink

AEG ASPC7160 SilentPerformer Cyclonic Silent Bagless Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner, 800 W - Cream

5.0 out of 5 stars Low Energy doesn't mean low suction, 27 Sept. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
2015 has been the year Amazon has asked me to review vacuum cleaners. I tested an AEG wand vacuum a few years ago and was very impressed with the build and attention to detail and after a couple of years of use it is going as well as it did on the first day.

I have had a couple of wands and vacuums this year to review all of which have left me questioning the sense of the EU reducing the power that a vacuums could use as they all struggled to work. The two AEG vacuums I have had to review this month have convinced me the EU was on the right track. The suction on the SilentPerformer at full power is almost overwhelming on carpet. You can dial it back using a power dial on the unit.

The AEG Silentperformer is an energy class AAA vacuum which makes the electric components very efficient; the power is rated at just 800w. The question that follows is does the vacuum have the power to pick up dirt- and on full power on carpet the carpet attachment was VERY difficult to move as it sucked itself down into the carpet - and it comfortably picks up rugs. You can switch the power up and down on the main unit and there is a bleed switch on the want if you need to quickly release something. The power switch does mean vacuuming on a wooden floor (and my apartment is predominantly wooden floors) you can reduce the power as its not having to combat anything to suck up the dust.

The SilentPerformer is a cyclonic vacuum so it doesn’t need bags to replaced when full. A bin fills up with dust and you carefully empty that into the bin (to avoid releasing the dust into the air.) There is also a washable high density foam dust filter on the exhaust to reduce the emission of dust from the back of the vacuum.

The vacuum itself is a solid feeling white plastic with orange accents and looks quite good. The cable is nice and long; I haven't formally measured it but its at least 6m long as it is long enough to get up stairs and into another room whilst still plugged in downstairs. The Hose feels a little week the connector to the want flexes as you use it - the dyson part is solid plastic and feels more reassuring. It doesn’t feel like it will break but doesn’t feel high quality either. The attachments in the box included two large heads - a brush/wooden floor head and a combo carpet and wooden floor head. The smaller attachments were a plastic edge and upholstery attachment. There wasn't a small brushed attachment in the box I received despite the amazon page suggesting there should be one.

On my wooden floors the PowerForce AFP6130 was excellent - it could grab dust bunnies from under furniture from some distance on full power though generally i dialed it back to half and didn’t have any issues. Rrunning over it with the special wooden floor (Parketto) brush was an improvement over the combo brushes. As the brushes are longer than the combo head it did a far better job getting inbetween the wood blocks that make up the floor getting trapped dirt and dust. The vacuum unit easily follows you as you move; it has a low centre of gravity to its wheels so it didn’t easily tip over either. My stairs are carpeted though and it is a great vacuum for the stairs thanks to its long cord, light weight -and most importantly a handle sensibly on the top of it to help you carry it. The telescopic handle is quite long when you need it to be and has a lot of adjustment (I'm 1.9m tall); though it doesn't collapse as much as I would like being 1m long when collapsed. AEG have done a great job on the noise; its not silent but as vacuums go it is very quiet - especially on wooden floors where i dialed the power down.

When you aren't vacuuming doesn't have a good management system for the hoses - a Dyson (albeit at twice the price) is more compact and organized when you aren't using it than the powerforce as the hose wraps around the vacuum the AEG you need to detach the hose you want to put it in a smaller cupboard.

The AEG Powerforce does a great job over my wooden floors and made light work of the carpets on my stairs - once i dialed the power back a little. The flexible hose aside it feels very well made - though a spinning turbine brush would be better for carpets than the included attachment. Its the small things like the cable retract which just works - and doesn't need to me feed the cable in to get rid of the last meter of the cable hanging out of the back reassures me the important bits are well engineered . The low energy use and very reasonable running make it a 5 for me as I don’t have that much carpet.

AEG APF6130 PowerForce All Floor Bagged Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner, 700 Watts - Chocolate Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars Quiet powerful low energy vacuum, 27 Sept. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
2015 has been the year amazon has asked me to review vacuum cleaners and wands. I tested an AEG wand vacuum a few years ago and was very impressed with the build and attention to detail. I have had a couple of wands and vacuums this year all of which have left me questioning the sense of the EU reducing the power that a vacuums could use as they all struggled to work. The AEG APF6130 is an energy class AAA vacuum which makes the electric components very efficient. The question that follows is does the vacuum suck - and on full power on carpet the carpet attachment was impossible to push - though i could pull it. You can dial the power up and down - so if you are vacuuming on a wooden floor you can reduce the power as its not having to combat anything to suck up the dust.

When it does suck up the dust it goes into bags; the bags are S-Bags amazon sells 12 of them for about £1.50 each (at the time of writing.) The bags themselves are pretty big - they feel like they would last me more than a month each to look after my two bedroom flat so the running costs of the bags don't seem too onerous. There is also a washable high density foam dust filter on the exhaust to reduce the emission of dust.

The vacuum is billed a chocolate brown; but it looked black to me. The cable is nice and long; i haven't formally measured it but its at least 6m long which is enough to get up stairs and into another room whilst still plugged in downstairs. The Hose feels the week spot; till the telescopic end its all plastic including the handle you hold onto and it flexes as you use it which doesn't feel right. The attachments in the box included two large heads - a brush/wooden floor head, a combo carpet and wooden floor head. The smaller attachments were a plastic edge and upholstery attachment. There wasn't a small brushed attachment in the box i received. There wasn't a spinning carpet head which I have found to be the best for carpets on other vacuums.

Most of my apartment is wooden floored and using the PowerForce AFP6130 was good; my stairs are carpeted and it is a nice vacuum for the stairs thanks to its long cord and light weight. it follows you as you move; and is nice and light as you go. The telescopic handle is quite long when you need it to be (I'm 1.9m tall); though it doesn't collapse as much as I would like being 1m long when collapsed. AEG have done a great job on the noise; its not silent but as vacuums go it is very quiet.

The AEG Powerforce does a great job over my wooden floors and made light work of the carpets on my stairs. The flexible hose aside it feels very well made; small things like the cable retract which just works - and doesn't need to me feed the cable in to get rid of the last meter of the cable hanging out of the back reassures me. The low energy use and reasonable running costs for the bags make it a 4. The lack of spinning head and small brush as well as the lack of planning for storing it when not in use cost it the *

Logitech ConferenceCam CC3000e Video Conferencing Camera
Logitech ConferenceCam CC3000e Video Conferencing Camera

5.0 out of 5 stars High Quality; good value office conferencing system, 23 Sept. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Logitech ConferenceCam CC3000e is far from a web cam. Its resoundingly not a home system; its built to go into meeting rooms. You likely aren’t going to want it in your home as it comes with a lot of parts; frustratingly it uses a transformer plug. This connects to a small connector box that you can hide out of sight. The remaining two components - the camera and speakerphone connect into this box too. Logitech supply several meters of cable to make this possible.

To use the system you connect the box to your laptop over a USB cable; on my Mac there was no setup; it was a question of plugging in it was easy to then select the CC3000e from devices as the camera or speaker. Once wired up you can use it as a speaker phone or with the video camera a full video conferencing system.

Once it was selected I was able to create conference as normal using Skype and Microsoft Lync as well as stage conference meetings with Webex. You can also use bluetooth to your mobile phone with the speaker which transforms it in the meeting room.

The speaker unit is loud and clear on both ends; its best in the centre of the conference room table. As with other conference phones those people furthest away come across more quietly to the remote users; it doesn’t have the option to add secondary microphones to extend to really large meeting rooms.

The next component is the camera; the quality of this is so superior to camera on my laptop- and other external webcams I have tried. The camera has a 10x zoom lens as well as electric pan and tilt this makes it easy to get the frame right for the people in the room or to zoom in if its just you using the remote control or the buttons on the speaker unit. or yourself if you are working solo. In the box you also get a mount that lets you put the camera on the higher up on the wall. The video quality out of the camera is excellent even when on a full hd screen when doing a large room meeting. The conferencing system you use will will impact what the people on the other end will see.

As a replacement for a traditional meeting room phone this does need you to have switched over to a VOIP calling (or have access to one - it works fine with personal Skype for example) system or use your mobile phone. If you have switched to VOIP its a very cost effective phone system compared to dedicated phone alternatives and will extend the value of the VOIP investment.

If you are looking at implementing a video conferencing system in a meeting room for up-to 20 people it is a very cost effective. Removing the need for dedicated video conferencing machines - though you can still use it in that scenario. Deploying it the ease of connecting to it reduces the learning curve - though you will need to do some training on how to switch your computer to use the CC3000e for audio during the conference (and turn it off afterwards.)

The quality of the equipment; and the game changing price for a conferencing system takes the CC3000e to 5*

Zeiss Pre-Moistened Lens Cloths Wipes
Zeiss Pre-Moistened Lens Cloths Wipes
Offered by Once Upon a Time .............

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for cleaning things you look at or through, 16 Sept. 2015
The Zeiss lens wipes are great for cameras, spectacles as well as cleaning electronic screens like laptop, tablet and phones.They came in several small pouches with ziplock to close them. My work backpack always has a handful; my camera bag more. They do leave a bit of lint or cotton at times; so for camera gear my process is usually; blower, zeiss wipe and when dry a final blow. A single wipe will clean my 15" macbook screen happily; they are more than enough for lenses and spectacles. The packaging keeps the wipe dry and safe in your bag so they last for ages.

4* because i think they should be lint free.

FiveSeasonStuff ® 2 x Premium High Quality Gold Plated Airplane Flight Adapters Converters for Headphones / Earphones, Converts Two 3.5mm Female to One Male 3.5mm Mono Jack / Converts Airplane Audio Sockets for Use with Your Own Headphones or Earphones TC5
Offered by FiveSeasonStuff Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars don't wait till the airport, 16 Sept. 2015
Sitting at just under 50k miles for flying this year (Its september) I am use to sitting on long haul flights there are occasionally times I want to watch something on the aircrafts entertainment system; I do want to use my own bose noise reducing headphones though as I think they are the best at removing ambient noise from planes (and trains, offices ...) The one thing I can almost always guarantee to leave on a plane is the adaptor I plug my noise cancelling headphones into. This two pack gives me a spare for the next time I forget. The sound is fine - the limiting factor is mostly the poor quality of most aircraft sound systems as they expect you to use the nasty headphones that are available on the plane. If you want to use your own headphones on a plane these are much cheaper than getting another connector at the airport.

Hoya 67mm Pro-1 Digital Circular Polarizing Filter
Hoya 67mm Pro-1 Digital Circular Polarizing Filter

5.0 out of 5 stars Over the summer months my lenses pretty much constantly have CP filters attached to them, 16 Sept. 2015
Over the summer months my lenses pretty much constantly have CP filters attached to them. CP filters reduce some glare and reflection; and help to make the sky look darker - so unless you are in the studio they are a great filter to have on your body - though they do also darken the image slightly so they aren't necessarily the best things to use at night.

I bought the Hoya 67mm Pro CP filter to go on my 35mm F2 IS USM I could have stepped this up to the 82mm filter I generally use on my L lenses but felt that for the price it wasn't worth the hassle. Out of the box the filter was filthy and I had to invest some time cleaning it up; but once that was done and it was attached to the lens the first thing to notice is the smooth twisting movement of the elements. The polarizing effect works as I would expect; and as well as the far more expensive filter i use on my other lenses. In 1080p video mode on my camera the filter didn't cause any moire pattern issues which is sometimes a concern.

Duracell Ultra MN2500 Alkaline AAAA Batteries - Pack of 2
Duracell Ultra MN2500 Alkaline AAAA Batteries - Pack of 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to get; should have come to amazon first., 16 Sept. 2015
AAAA came as a surprise when my Microsoft Surface Pen ran out of battery life. Despite never hearing of a AAAA battery I foolishly looked for them in boots and Sainsbury's before coming home to amazon and getting them the next day. Infuriatingly they are an add on item so you need to spend 20 pounds to get them shipped to you.

The battery itself replaced the one in my pen and is working fine 3 weeks later. The pack I received had a 3 year life before they were going to have issues.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20