Profile for Chris Hoare > Reviews

Content by Chris Hoare
Top Reviewer Ranking: 172

Chris Hoare "Chris" (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30
Philips Shaver Series 7000, Wet and Dry Shaver with Clean and Charge System RQ1197/22

4.0 out of 5 stars Clean and Shave, 9 Oct 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I should start by saying I have a Sensotouch 3d shaver as well as this Sensotouch 2d shaver. There is a noticable difference in price between the two though they do look quite similar. The 3d has a more complex shaving head; where each of the 3 shaving elements can move independently whilst the 2d doesn't they move as one unit. When i look at the shaving foils the 3d is more complex than the 2d one. The 3d is meant to deliver the ultimate shave and the 2d a very good shave. Both the sensotouch shavers have a very similar look and they are both nice to hold in your hand; and the articulation of the shaving head does a good job and keeping the cutting surface in contact with your skin.

I shave most days; but from sleeping in at weekends or being on a long flight I do occasionally miss a day. I have found with both Braun and Philips razors that missing a day soon leads to long hairs that track along my neck that the razor is unable to pickup; the Sensotouch 2d is no different. Philips recommend that you shave in a rotary motion and I find that this makes the Philips razors give a superior result to the Braun ones. Through this repeated contact approach; both the 2d and 3d are unusable without shaving gel. The rotary motion and large shaving area result in significant razor burn. For science I tried the 2d without gel and sure enough my neck was covered in red blotches at the end. Used with gel though the 2d gives a close shaved look and feel; though after a couple of hours there is a noticable stubble feel - albeit you can't see it yet. In use I really can't tell the difference between the 2d and 3d.

The jet clean system is designed to make it easy to clean your razor at the end of a shave. The jet clean unit though is absurdly large and doesn't fit inside my bathroom cabinets; so my razor was cleaned in the kitchen. The design of the Jet clean system; a long time ago I had the Braun equivalent and that used a sealed reservoir and was nice and clean and tidy - the philips system has a detachable bath you add liquid to from a Philips jet clean bottle -which is cheaper but liable to spills and needs to be kept away from children. The results of using the jet clean system made it look less beneficial - but this may be because I haven't used it enough to see the difference yet; or as a gel user I wash the razor more to remove the gel from its head. The cleaning is supposed to lubricate the head though my 3d one is a year old and still going strong; at the end of its life you replace the entire head (not just the foils) so like a wet razor a new head is a new shaving system - reusing the battery and motor.; so the version without the jet clean system might make more sense. As well as removing the head for replacment you can remove it to slot in a beard trimmer (the manual very carefully says its for "above the neck" use!

For travelling (and smaller bathroom cabinets) Philips have included a smaller travel charger / stand and an unprotective cloth bag and a head protecting plastic clip.

Overall the 2d is definitely better value than the 3d - the difference in shave doesn't justify the extra cost. I'm not sure of the long term value of the Jet Clean system; its bulky and adds considerable cost - so you might want to consider the models without it. I prefer the Philips rotary design over the braun foil design; though I cant use a Philips razor without some kind of lubricant to protect my skin.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Blazingly Fast no compromise on storage, 5 Oct 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been using SSD's for a few years now; as the 128gb drives became more affordable in 2010 on went into my notebook; in 2012 it was 256Gb that became affordable and I upgraded my desktop. Now at the end of 2013; 1000 Gb drives are fast becoming affordable.

Putting an SSD into a reasonably modern computer with a hard disk for storage is by far the most effective upgrade you can do. Before I installed it into a computer though I wanted to do some hard performance testing using my trusty Seagate Thunderbolt Adapter this is the absolutely fastest way I have of moving data between computers; and I had been using an old drive replaced when installing an SSD. I would regularly get write speeds of around 30 MB/s and I was far from upset about that to the hard drive which mean I could quickly copy files. Using the 840 Evo this went up to 160MB/s for writing so it was about 5x faster than my old hard disk. Doing it the other way around to my 1 year old Samsung 250Gb SSD; the performance was telling - 110MB/S. What this meant in the real world is my new drive wrote the file in about 6 minutes; the old drive took just over 10 minutes a handy improvement ear on year- the hard drive took about 30.

Wanting to get that performance benefit in my last remaining hard disk equipped computer. Instead I spent 40 minutes following some easy to use instructions (and easy to find on the net) dissembling my Mac Mini Server; replacing one of the two hard drives in with the SSD. This was by far the most time consuming install - into my Macbook Pro it took under 10. Running from the old disk my Mac Mini booted in about 30 seconds; from the SSD its about 5 seconds; and most of that is the pre-boot testing. Its not just booting that benefits; Chrome is open before i have stopped clicking. Adobe Lightroom is considerably more usable as you jump between the tabs. I reinstalled my computer from scratch; if you don't want to do that there is a disk to help you clone your old disk - it doesn't come with the cables for that but amazon have a number of USB - SATA adaptors that will do the job. The 1Tb of storage being of great benefit with photos and video; I can work on a section of my library locally before pushing it back out to my Drobo for archiving.

If the 1Tb is beyond your budget there are 750 and 512Gb capacity models with pretty much the same performance; if you are finding your computer slow going its a fantastic way to revive an old computer.

Canon EOS 100D Digital SLR Camera - (EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens,18MP, CMOS Sensor) 3 inch LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars Look through the lens, 10 Sep 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There is an old adage that the best camera to use is the one in your pocket. To that end there are a lot of Camera's on the market from the one on your cellphone; tiny pocket cameras with enormous zooms through to enormous professional ones. The Canon 100d is primarily a compromise Camera; it has a lot in common with the Canon 700d which is about 25% bigger but the same sensor and software. That said its half the size of my current SLR though it is twice the size of my Sony Nex 5N compact system camera (its an SLR without the viewfinder and mirror.) I think that things being equal most people would rather have the smaller camera. Having used the 100d for a month I prefer it over the Nex 5n greatly; the Nex is simply too small. My Sony has a
virtual interface accessed via a touchscreen; the 100d keeps the touchscreen but has physical controls where you need them. You can always see the mode dial on the 100d so you dont turn your camera on to find yourself in twilight mode after you press the shutter release. In bright light you can look through the lens to take a picture; something its always good to be able to do. Like the Nex5 if you choose to take pictures using the touchscreen rather than the eyepiece; the 100d's allows you to control the focus of the camera by
touching the screen and once a subject is checked the 100d will image
track slower moving objects as the camera moves around - allowing you
to frame your shot nicely before you take it. Unlike the Nex5 - in video mode touching the screen results in cinema style focus pulling; the focus change is quick but smooth and without a lot of focus hunting.

Taking still photos in automatic mode results in nice sharp well-exposed images and the sensor/ lens combination. The higher image quality continues through lower light conditions; though the 100d is eager to switch to using the flash whenever it can. Thanks to some high sensitivity and the kit lens image stabilization (and a night twilight mode) the flash isn't always required. The lens autofocus motor is audible as it operates hear operate as it focuses though - its not massively loud but people will hear it. I mostly take landscape and cityscape photos so the autofocus noise wasn't an issue - especially on the Windy Peak district day I first tested it with. The wide-angle end of the lens was good at this; taking fairly distortion free images despite the wide angle of view. At 55mm the zoom doesn't take you into the action but if you are taking pictures of friends and family its a nice lens for portraits.

Canon has made a huge leap in their software from where they were 2 years ago; but the Sony software in my Nex is still has more functions than the Canon. Sweep panorama images and a much faster image burst rate are both in the Nex's favour. The Canon can take significantly better photos thanks to its better autofocus and vastly superior video.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Lowepro Photo Hatchback 22l AW Bag for DSLR Camera - Slate Grey
Lowepro Photo Hatchback 22l AW Bag for DSLR Camera - Slate Grey
Offered by AVIDES

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for travelling and commuting, 10 Sep 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Lowepro Photo Hatchback; is a great compromise backpack for commuting or as a daypack. The slate grey isn't the most stylish; but it is fairly discrete.

The compromise comes from its three pocket stores;

The biggest downside is there is a slot on the front for a macbook air 11" or Tablet computer; its great you can carry it but bad you can't easily tell when its being stolen. Atop the laptop and camera section is a larger area where you can store your lunch; headphones or larger items. This section has a zipped pocket and two mesh pockets (which are good for filters.) The zip pocket has a handy lanyard for your keys. On the sides are two mesh pockets for water bottles (there isn't a strap to allow you to use it as a tripod. Finally you get to the camera store; this is kept tucked under a hatch on the back of the bag. The bag comfortably holds an SLR with a small zoom and an extra lens; I Was able to carry a Canon 6d with a 24-105 F4L lens attached; its petal hood on one side and have room for a Nex 5, Sigma fisheye lens on top. Under the camera section there is a waterproof hood which adds to the padding. The entire camera padding section can be removed to make it easier to load / unload away from the bag; or to give you an extra pocket when you don't need a camera.

The straps and padding are good; but nowhere near as good as those on my new baseline outstanding bag the Vanguard Quovio 44. That said I have just returned from a long weekend overseas and walked dozens of miles through desert mountains and the bag was comfortable - though I did have a VERY sweaty back. Having used it for such a long period of time; one thing i found myself doing over and over was not quite zipping the back up; the design stopped anything significant falling out but its a constant risk; one for any bag - but its harder to spot when the open zip is against your back.

The Lowepro 22l AW is a great bag for travelling with; it holds documents and a computer as well as a set of camera equipment - and is small enough that you wont break your back carrying everything around. In my experience Lowepro bags hold up to abuse and the Hatchback feels doesn't feel like it will be any different.

John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme: Series 1
John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme: Series 1
by John Finnemore
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out loud fun, 29 Aug 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
John Finnemore's Souvenir programme cement's John's place as the King of Radio4 comedy. It can't be long before the BBC finds a budget for him to move to TV. Till then the slow release of his work on CD from tbe BBC library is all we have. Series 1 has 4 30 minute(ish) episodes of John's sketches. There is no theme; just a mixture of fun and silly. Its repayable and the jokes on the whole are pretty timeless and the overall standard is as great as my long term favourites The Consultants. 5*s

Vanguard Quovio 44 Professional Photo Video Backpack - Black
Vanguard Quovio 44 Professional Photo Video Backpack - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Padded like your favourite Chair, 29 Aug 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Vanguard Quovio 44; is an anti Tardis and thats what really relegates its usefulness for me. The discrepancy between external and internal voulume is because Vanguard have gone for huge amounts of foam padding on the base, top and and around the sides of the bag. The nice thing about this padding is that it isn't just for your camera's there is a lovely contoured back to the bag - partly to store a rain cover but between that and the padding the Quovio almost felt like lumbar support. The shape of the back allows for a bit of ventilation over your back. The downside is there is a lack of space for secondary item's - there is a tight pocket for an iPad on the back - but it wont take an 11" macbook air or much thicker than an iPad. There is a small zipped pocket on the top; but again this can't take much more than pens. There are dedicated memory card pockets on the top flap. For your camera equipment though the Quovio is Nirvanna. Inside the Black backpack is a bright orange padded world for them to relax. Your tripod isn't left out thanks to a pull out tripod holder on the side; though being on the side I wouldnt use a heavy tripod or you will feel lopsided - using my travel giotto felt OK but I wouldnt want to walk with it for a long period.

All around the outside of the bag are chunky contrasted Orange Black zippers all with glove friendly pull ties. Away from the tripod harness on the other side of the bag is a full height zip that allow you to use the Quovio 44 as a sling opening opening easily from the side (though in a nice touch the zipper has a magnet to prevent you using it by accident) . The quovio is a convertable; thanks to some sturdy metal clips you can change the bag from a backpack to a sling. I did find the sling side opening tight though - my 7d with a lens was difficult to extract; this may be because the bag is new and still a bit stiff or my personal preference to the backpack design. I do like that I am free to switch easily between the two options though.

Thanks to the large size of the bag; and inspite of the padding, the bag can take a Pro sized SLR with a Sigma 150-500mm Zoom with ease. Though doing so reduces the amount of other lenses you can carry as it compressed one side of the bag (see the photos I have uploaded.) The Quovio is happier with a smaller zoom attached like a 70-200 but its nice having a back that so comfortably carries the bigma on or off the camera. You can overcome the limited storage by putting a foam plug into the internal bag at the cost of carrying a long lens attached to your camera; which allows the curved top section to be used for storing small items. This may be essential given the lack of secondary storage pockets. The plug doesnt provide any liquid protection -and the lack of liquid carrying is the biggest drawback to the back if you are going to go on a long day with it out of town.

The Vanguard isn't a cheap bag; as a contrast I have been using an AmazonBasics Backpack for a couple of years. That has far less padding but far more secondary storage. The Quovio's thoughtful touches make it a much nicer bag to carry around though; the better build is evident the moment you pick it up via the soft feel top handle. There are so many little touches that make the bag nicer to use; from a magnetic flap to stop you accidentally opening a zop; to the Velcro ties to keep any excess straps tidily looped up. The Vanguard is built to last; the zips are more rugged, the padding is considerably thicker and the shape is better suited to carrying a zoom lens. In the end its the comfort from the back of the pack that make it a 4* bag - the lack of secondary storage costing it a star.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Withings Pulse Wireless Activity and Heart Rate Tracker - Black
Withings Pulse Wireless Activity and Heart Rate Tracker - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Lacks Motorvation. Jawbone Up is better, 26 Aug 2013
I ordered a Withings pulse as I already had both the Withings blood pressure and scales and despite being a user of the Jawbone Up I wasn't completely satisfied with that device. I have been using the Jawbone UP since it was released and found it good a motivating me to move about rather than sit and work. I have found having all my lifestyle data to hand helps when dealing with the medical profession; and into shaming me into doing more with my time. My biggest criticisms of the Up were its lack of Bluetooth - relying on the headphone jack to connect to my phone; and that it couldn't do pulse readings. The Withing's pulse ticked both of those boxes. Once it was charged up using a standard Micro USB cable (the Jawbone uses a proprietary 3.5mm charger) As I am expecting of Withings product setup was an absolute breeze; connect the bluetooth using the phone menu, run the app and (After a firmware update to the pulse) I was away. The Pulse is very small; about half the size of a pack of matches if you can remember them. The iPhone Withings App is very polished outstanding (and designed by them to encourage you to track more of your life through their products - which i guess worked on me.) Besides having the data on your phone its also accessible via the Withings website.

The Up comes in the form of a plastic bracelet which is pretty visible as you move around (especially as mine is in Blue - grab a handle on the Tube and it shouts out from my exposed wrist to those who care to look - possibly breaking the rule about the only jewellery men should wear being glasses, wristwatch and dog tags); the pulse is a rounded lozenge that goes into a belt clip or a separate wrist cuff for nighttime use. With the Up you put on and leave it for a week (or until you go swimming) sleep; suit shower its happy all the Time. The lozenge shape of the Pulse results in a belt clip for daytime use; a wristwatch like sleeve for nighttime use; and as its not waterproof a shelf when you take a shower. This constantly changing holder is a chore; I am not enamoured by the belt clip either which didn't feel 100% secure It may be more discrete than the UP but I am less concerned with losing the up. I also found myself taking it off when i got to work so it didn't get caught on chairs during the day which meant it did my commute but unless I remembered to put it on not whilst i was moving around the office. The nighttime sleeve works fine; its just with the Up its on your wrist and you only take it off to charge - and as it doesn't have a screen or bluetooth you charge it a lot less. My Pulse managed about 3 days on its first charge and 3 again on the second - the Up lasts all week comfortably. I am happy to sacrifice battery life for the screen though - it makes it much more clear where you are and the Pulse is much easier to use than the up as a Result.

The Pulse reader itself; is activated using the menu button and selecting the heart from the touchscreen; when it comes to taking your pulse its a bit hit and miss - and doesn't give you the chance to try again or delete a dodgy reading. So my pulse history is mostly 60's and 70's with the odd 150-180. Whenever these readings happened taking my pulse instantly again recorded what was expected. The pulse reading when giving an answer I as happy with agreed closely with the reading taken from the Blood pressure cuff. The movement tracking was in 5% of the Up; and what little sleep I get resulted in similar sleep pattern readings.

My review of the Up was titled Shakes you up; and that is for me where the Pulse is let down. The Up has a motor that makes it vibrate - this means it can act as an alarm clock in sleep or napping modes. Thought the biggest use of the motor for me was telling me I had been sitting still for too long and I should get up and do something - that little motivation works wonders. The pulse is passive; it tells you what you have done and the app tries to get you to do more; the Up shakes you to get up and do something. I bought the Pulse as I wanted something to replace the up; what I have ended Up with is two wristbands neither of which I am 100% happy with. The Pulse is much more user friendly; and I haven't lost it via the belt clip yet; but constantly shuffling between holders is a Pain. The UP though takes more effort to sync up to your phone; can't take your pulse and although the Jawbone app can sync data from other Withing's devices it doesn't have the all round health features of the Withings. I'm torn between the two they both track and show back the data accurately in user friendly ways; but for now the Up has it simply for shaking tell me to get up and do something.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 (Mac/PC)
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 (Mac/PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Shown Aperture the Door, 18 Aug 2013
I have been a staunch user of Apple Aperture since its first release; only Aperture 3 has gotten increasingly long in the tooth - and as a camera collector I am getting fed up of Apple's lag in supporting Raw formats. Aperture 3 is iPhoto + - its a great easy to use Library for OS/X. With Lightroom 5 Adobe should have made it easier to switch from Aperture.

I wasn't immediately sure how my library would look in the final process - I really like the album structure in Aperture. Lightroom doesn't have this; I found an option on the import to Organise by day which groups photos into a stack saved my bacon and allowed me to almost mimic the old structure. I then had to import my photos; i'm Not a professional photographer but do have over 10 years of digital images and to transfer from Aperture to Lightroom I had to export my images and import them back in - a process that took 4 days on my Mac Pro. There really ought to be a better way...

Once my images were in Lightroom; the interface shock subsided over a few days and over the weeks i'm slowing drilling down into some of the keyboard shortcuts. Its clear that lightroom is massively superior for editing images. Having the Photoshop healing brush and radial gradients often allows for a quick adjustment to an image without opening it in another editor. The flickr publishing interface is far better (though when I tried to push a video up it never finished encoding at the Flickr end - manually uploading the same video worked fine.)

One of the key benefits for me over Aperture is the ability to merge catalogs from a laptop into your main catalog; this handy feature lets you easily move images around - and saves on the transfer issues I had moving over from aperture.

Lightroom 5 is a learning curve from Aperture; the library is quicker; the editing functions are better, the sharing functions are better, working away from the office is easier and it isn't onerously expensive; 5*'s

Give Up: Deluxe 10th Anniversary Edition
Give Up: Deluxe 10th Anniversary Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars Let me help you remember, 18 Aug 2013
10 Years of Giving Up and its bleeps and bloops have stood up to the test of time and passed with flying colours. Now reissued and remastered (but im not sure where if anything has changed); with two new tracks and some remixes - it also includes the absolutely sublime Iron and Wine version of Such Great Heights. If you aren't sure listen to the preview of Nothing Better on the MP3 store a him versus her love song 10 years before Gotye's; with trully biting lines "I've prepared a lecture on why i have to leave." It is the absolute standout on the album.

Getting the physical copy gives you the autorip MP3 version so you can have the CD quality at home and good amazon MP3 on the move which is the best of both worlds acoustically.

Lavolta Monitor Mount for LCD LED TV Screen Display with Fully Adjustable Arms - Dual
Offered by Smart Parts UK, Digital Lifestyle Retailer

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to setup steady as a rock, 18 Aug 2013
The Lavolta monitor mount comes with well laid out instructions and the plastic wrapped parts are cleanly segmented; something ikea would be wise to learn from. The only tool you need to bring to put it together is a philips screwdriver for when you attach the monitors to your screen(s). As soon as you pick up the box you know its made from metal; all the parts have some heft. The Desk Clamp attaches to your desk with two large eye bolts; I would have preferred were half as long as they are (or if the mount came with a shorter option. I put a wooden shim under the clap on the topside of my desk to get around the issue and its tightly bolted up. In the box are two sets of bolts for attaching to your screen short ones for flat backed screens; and longer ones (with grommets) to attached to curved screens. I attached two VESA mount equipped LG IPS234V-PN.AEK PS 23 inch LG screens to the stand; and attaching them to the Vesa mounts is really the job of two people.

When it arrived some of the bolts were very loose; but the supplied allen bolt allowed me to tighten them so the screens are more or less floating now - i can move them without sagging unless i want it - took quite a bit of dialling in to get there. The bolts require too much torque to tighten them; and the last bolt on the monitor arm is adjusted by almost torquing the monitor (if its attached) which isn't great. Once your screens are on there are cable loops on the arms and on the main stand that make it easy to thread the wires through in a tidy fashion.

THe Lavolta is a very adjustable stand for height and tilt and angle in the plain; the only thing I would wish for in addition is the ability to rotate the screens so I could flip from landscape to portrait. 4*'s.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30