Profile for Chris Hoare > Reviews

Content by Chris Hoare
Top Reviewer Ranking: 145

Chris Hoare "Chris" (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Oral-B Genius 9000 Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush Powered by Braun - White
Oral-B Genius 9000 Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush Powered by Braun - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Longer Life, 20 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Braun Oral-B Genius 9000 is the latest and greatest in a long line of spinning braun brushes. It shares and addreses some of the weaknesses with the much cheaper 4000 series brush I tested in June.

In the basics the 9000 series handle is far superior in my hands than the 4000 series. To get you using it braun included 4 brush heads in the box - a standard, sensitive, interdental and whitening. I just use the standard - i have tried teh interdental and whitening and im not convinced they offer any benefits. It is chunkier which makes it feel better in my hand. If you do get a multipack there is an LED at the top that you can customise the color of to warn you that its not your brush; this led does flash red if you start to brush to hard too. This higher end handle also has a visual indicator of the mode you have the brush in; as well as a seperate button to help you switch modes on the handle. If you arent interested in modes the general mode does a good job and has a 30 second pulse to suggest you change quadrants (with the app you can program personal brushing cycles based on advise from your dentist.) The mode for gums and tongue cleaning seem to do a good job after a month of use my gums have been healthy despite a lot of travel. There is a mode to work with the whitening brush head to help whiten your teeth too; i havent been able to test the claims on whitening as I was already using a braun brush.

Braun have made changes in the 9000 over the 4000 to address the poor battery life of the cheaper brush handle. The 9000 happily lasts over a week of twice a day brushing (and i tend to do 3 minutes a time.) Whilst the battery life makes the brush usable if you travel the recharge time is still pitiful and I think that Braun should be able to power the brush for more than 25 minutes after a full nights charging.

In the box you get a cable and a seperate travel case; that can charge the brush when powered - as well as recharging your phone. The latter is a first from braun for me previous cases were just plastic stores. The new travel case lets youtravel with and recharge the toothbrush should have resulted in travelling with less. Braun/ Oral B have made the weird decisions with this case; add a USB socket to the case to let you charge another device from is for me a misstep. If you travel a lot with your brush then the Philip's travel case solution is superiour - it charges over USB so you dont need to take the 1Amp power cable and adaptor that Braun require of you. You need the adaptor as the 5 hotel stays i have made whilst using this brush; the bathrooms had US style and not UK/Euro 1Amp sockets - best case when travelling is you have a bathroom with a socket when that happens who wants to charge their phone in the bathroom? The travel case functionally worked well; it did protect my bag on 14 flights; i just think it should use USB to charge the toothbrush rather than offer to charge your phone. Everything should charge over USB.

The bluetooth functionality and app tracking are the same as that on the cheaper 4000; with the same limitations - I think its great for kids to be able to track they are brushing but the implementation doesnt let families track usage that way at teh moment the app is one brush only - and each brush only tracks as a single person. The latest version of the app tracks how your brush; and in the box there was a mirror mount to hold your phone - it happily held my iPhone 6s and watches you brush ranking how it works. They have delivered a few tweaks to it over the month I was using it - at the start it didnt feel accurate when i was brushing at the back of my mouth, either the app or my technique has adapted to work with it. Its a great feature to track you are brushing in the right places in your mouth. The suction mount is for use on glass only; i tried it on my tiles and it didnt stay mounted for long - on my mirror it stayed attached for the 5 days i was at home before travelling.

As an overall package the brush is very good. There isnt a lot between the Braun Rotating and Philips Ultrasonic brushes. I personally like the 9000 handle as it feels more substantial in your hand; and I like the feeling in my mouth after using the standard CrossAction heads. The battery life was far better than the 4000 handle; it lasted a week long business trip without the need to charge the battery back up as well as a few days when i got back; and the travel case survivied the rigors of both heathrow and the tsa in my bag. The Bluetooth functions remain a gimic for me at the moment; the camera brushing analysis definately offers promise for getting people to brush better though. Its a very good brush; and my criticisms are more about how they should be making it better.

Canon EOS 5DS (Black) Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)
Canon EOS 5DS (Black) Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)
Offered by INT Impex
Price: £2,490.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The future is super high resolution, this is the beginning, 17 July 2016
I bought the 5DS after about 3 months of introspection. Landscape photography is a hobby for me so the steep entry to the 5ds was on my mind; as well as trepidation brought on from numerous reviews trying to be neutral. The reviews say the 5DSR should be the one to go for and having tried both on loan with my own lenses I felt the 5DS was a better fit for my images. My budget certainly doesn't stretch to a 5ds and a set of shiny l lenses to go with it. I read lots of reviews saying the 5DS needs you to improve your techniques, live your life in bright lights and with a tripod. All these add up to a sense of dread; that borrowing the camera let me overcome.

Using the camera; the first thing you notice is it has a really nice sounding shutter release. Once you get past the noise and the nice feel of the buttons; its a great step up from the 6d - there are more customizable options and it brings back the joystick controller I missed when i moved to the 6d from the 7d. If you are coming from a 5dMk3 or a 7dMkii the button layout is pretty much identical.
Looking in the viewfinder; which is bright and unlike the 6d shows the full frame of the image my first happiness was the huge coverage and number of autofocus points. Delve into the menus and there are zones and you can configure how it tracks images (something that the custom setup slots makes handy to setup.) Its a canon so if you have used a canon sir its all very familiar in how it works; some of the buttons have moved from my 6d but the menus and options are all similar; only expanded - getting it setup for my photos as was on the 6d was easy and over time I have started playing with the other options.

I got the camera a month before I went on vacation and took it to a few national trust trips to figure it out and get used to working with it before taking it to Hawaii. The downsides of the camera were quickly apparent - in low light you need a bright lens and steady hands. The Canon 6d is awesome in low light, the 5ds needs steady hands and bright lenses, but i decided to keep my 6d for lower light shots. The other thing that quickly became apparent is the 5ds eats batteries. One step up from the 6d should be weather proofing and all around ruggedness - you pay for this by losing GPS and wifi out of the box it feels solid. I didn't plan on testing it but I dropped it 3ft onto jagged rocks on the big island, it came through this test with flying colors, at the expense of a bit of black paint. The flaps and doors all stayed closed and the lens stayed attached. When you use them All the flaps and the memory door all feel nicely protected.

In the shooting part of my trepidation was the need to replace all my lenses. Before and after purchase I have I tried a mixed bag of older l zoom lenses a number of which aren't on Canon's recommended list along with a few primes that are. With recommended lenses that I have the images are sharp and colorful handheld. Using unsupported lenses isn't a trip to mush; even the decidedly average 24-105f4l takes nice looking images on the 5ds. The shots aren't tack sharp but they are colorful, and unless you go to 3:1 the images are nice and sharp. This lens was important to me as I don't have any other short tele zoom IS lenses at the moment. It will be the first lens i replace to get something better though. I did find with my range of lenses that I didn't need to adapt my photography greatly; a handheld shot at sunrise looks pretty much as good as the one on the tripod - only you can move around and be more creative. I wont pretend that using a tripod makes a big difference - it does especially as the light gets darker, but steady hands and sensible shutter speeds result in plenty usable shots. Testing the body i decided I was more than happy with the images from the older lenses on the high resolution sensor - they were in the right light better than the images from the 6d. The 5FPS burst rate came in handy on a helicopter trip on holiday; which also gave the autofocus a bit of a work out. I didn't have the best seat - I had a lot of wind buffering as we flew over the volcano but I was able to keep the ISO low and the shutter speed high enough to get usable shots. In this situation the supposedly improved viewfinder is basically useless in bright light - its either in the wrong place at the bottom of the image and you don't see it or its just washed out and can't read it. The 5fps needs a super fast memory card to have any chance of keeping up (each shot in raw is close to 50mb) so you may need to budget that as part of the purchase.

Having dragged my camera half way around the world for a vacation I was more than happy with its performance and build. There are things I don't like; the lower light performance, battery life, gps, wifi and the unreadable viewfinder but they are all outweighed when you zoom into an image and find a face or detail you would have missed. For landscapes and city/ streets the 5ds is a great camera.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Rangers Clarity Series ND Filter kit Includes Full ND2, ND4, ND8, ND16 Filters + Graduated ND2, ND4, ND8, ND16 Filters + 9 Filter Adaptors (49-82mm) + 1 Adaptor Holder + Carrying Case + Lens Cleaning Cloth
Offered by XCSOURCE

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive kit for starter landscape photographers, 17 July 2016
I was sent this item for review; and after finding a comprehensive kit I stuck it in my camera back when i went on my holiday in Hawaii. The solid ND filters all have a bluish The Rangers Clarity Kit is comprehensive for ND - coming with 4 graduated and solid ND filters covering 2,4,8 and 16 stops. The kit also includes set of filter ring adaptors and a filter holder. The pouch has space to add further filters when you are ready.

The kit includes two varieties of almost grey ND filters. The Solid ND filters even in the bright sunlight of Hawaii are useful for removing overblown exposures; and allowing you to use narrower apertures to get depth of field effects. As with all cheaper filters these are not a true grey color and come with a bluish tint. The tint is easy to adjust in lightroom using white balance filtering (I use a color card for a lot of trips which makes it easier still.)

The Gradated ND filters are the real win for landscape photographers; being able to darken the sky or reduce the impact of the sun really adds drama to shots that would otherwise need you to take multiple exposures and combine back together. I have attached a couple of sunrise shots with and without graduated ND filters to get the idea of the impact you can get.

The Rangers Kit is comprehensive; in the past buying Cokin P filters as a set like this; you would pay more for the filter holder and ring for one lens than this entire kit; the original parts are better made but not so much to justify the price difference. The threads on the adapter rings looked cleanly machined and spun onto my lens (and more importantly off of it) easily; the adaptor has a decent clip to hold the filters; and the first few times was stiff enough to make removal difficult whilst i was getting use to the build quality. The filter holder lets you stack filters which allows you to multiple up the effect; or have differential gradients in the top and bottom of your frame to handle the light as you need to. If you want a really long exposure you could add up with the 4,8 and 16 to make those clouds super streaky. This style of filter holder is useful to make custom bokeh templates for those days you are bored and want bokeh hearts rather than balls.

The price is the headline on the Kit; for neutral density; with a slight caveat on the slight blue tint (which cost a star), you get a good range of filters that will help you with your landscape photography or video work.

I was provided a free sample of this product to review by the manufacturer.

Philips Avent uGrow SCD860/05 Smart Baby Monitor
Philips Avent uGrow SCD860/05 Smart Baby Monitor

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent camera, steep entry price, 12 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having tried a few baby monitors with mixed results i was keen to see how the Philips Avent uGrow performed considering its price tag. For the money you get a 720p camera with built in nightlight, decent lullabies, 2 way communication and a temperature and humidity monitor the latter i've not seen before on a baby monitor.

Philips have decided not to include a monitor with this camera and instead the camera relies on using a wifi connection and the use of a phone or tablet device. While i would of liked a monitor most tend to be of low resolution and poor quality that they don't show the cameras full potential. A negative for wifi only is its not possible to use the camera locally if a wifi connection isn't available.

The quality of the camera is the best i've experienced, in day light its as good as the 1080p Motorola MBP853 (despite having a lower resolution) but its in night mode where the camera comes into its own. Unlike other monitors detail and resolution remains excellent with the user being able to see the smallest detail. Signal response is good and reliable making it possible to see small movements your baby makes; this is one area that using the superior screen on most mobiles over the monitors that I received from Motorola also helped.

The app is easy to use giving you full control over the cameras features and alerts but requires you to create an account with philips to use the camera, if you want multiple devices to use the same camera at the same time this requires separate user accounts for each device.
I would of awarded this camera 5 stars if it wasn't for the fact it can't be used locally and doesn't come supplied with a monitor and the lack of pan and tilt. As your child develops and starts to move around more some of the competition offer remote pan and tilt features to help you find them which the Avent uGrow lacks.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Walimex Pro 8 mm 1:3.5 DSLR Fish-eye II lens, for Sony Canon EF-S mount bayonet lens, black (with removable lens hood)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, Well Made, Sharp 180degree fisheye, 26 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have a bit of a thing for wide angle and fisheyes lenses. Fisheyes come in a variety of designs and prices; I already have the sigma 4.5mm which is a full circle fisheye best used for sky shots (and like the Walimex Pro is also an efs lens for apsc crop cameras). When i made the jump to full frame I bought the Canon 8-15mm f4l zoom fisheye; this is different in that it will go from full circular fisheye to diagonal fisheye.

The Walimex Pro 8mm, new to my collection, is a 180 degree field of view diagonal fisheye. The Walimex Pro is a full manual lens for focus and aperture; there are no contacts and no exif on the shots - so if you want to remember the lens settings you will need to write them down. Its an APS lens; but it doesn't have the extension at the back and does fit onto full frame cameras like my 5ds. When used on full frame you vignetting from the camera lens; you lose about 20 percent of the frame.

Comparing the build quality between the Sigma, L and Walimex Pro the surprise is its the L series that is likely the worst build - though it is the only one that is weather sealed. Even the Walimex Pro lens bag is better than an L series one. I am always nervous when using the Canon because of its useless lens cap which is as often as not detached when i get to my destination. Walimex Pro have pretty much the same cap design as canon only its much tighter and stays on. With the Lens on a camera and using it anger the Walimex Pro has nicely waited, smooth focus ring; the aperture ring is Clicky ; but not overly loud. Mounted on the 100d the lens is the perfect size for the diminutive camera - its a nice balancing weight (about 500g) and its a nice size for holding onto as you carry the camera..

Using a full manual lens is a novel experience for me - sigma and canon have made sure their fisheyes have full autofocus. I tried the lens in manual and Program mode on the 100d; in program mode the camera made acceptable exposure decisions. Being a super wide angle lens you don't need to worry to much about focus. The aperture is always on so in live view you get a good depth of field preview. It is a very wide angle lens so you do have to deal with a lot of light coming into the lens and it has a prominent bulge so can't use a filter to reduce exposure. A lot of my shots were with tiny apertures. I have uploaded a couple below; my flickr has some Comparisons with my other fisheyes, and the rectilinear 16-35mm. The indoor shot was from my first shots; i took about 10 playing with exposure and ISO before I was happy with it; after that using the manual controls had clicked and I rarely needed to play with my initial exposures again.

Getting the shots back into Lightroom I was more than happy with the sharpness in the centre; as you move to the corners the lens naturally distorts lines but the sharpness looks good. The good build quality continues to the glass inside it. There is purple fringing on contrasty highlights that i didn't get with the same shots on the canon lens; but the focus was easy to get right.

If you are looking for a fisheye lens; 8mm is far more practical than the Sigma 4.5 for most purposes. The Walimex Pro is far cheaper than the Canon L; though you lose the autofocus and aperture by wire of the Canon. I found switching to manual wasn't a hardship and was easy to pickup and get photos looking right. 4* because its 2016 and lens really ought to have autofocus and aperture by wire - its not a hardship but its not a skill I use every day.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Oral-B Smart Series 4000 Cross Action Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush Powered by Braun

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Brush Handle for less, 25 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
About 9 months ago I received a Braun Oral B 5000 cross action toothbrush to review. This is the same model number of motor unit and head combination as the Oral B 4000. Which is nice as the functionality has come down in price.

The Braun Oral B brushes are spinning and vibrating. The 4000 handle only has an on / off switch to control it – unlike the more expensive models it isn’t clear from the device which mode you are in. When you turn it on it starts off and every 30 seconds it pulses to let you know its time to change mouth quadrants, at the end of 2 minutes it pulses a little more to let you know to stop. If you apply to much pressure when using it a bright red light warns you to back off – though strangely it doesn’t slow the motors down.

In the box you get two heads the excellent Oral B Cross Brush; which leaves my teeth feeling great everytime I use it. You also get a Sensitive brush head (which is also the one to use if you want to clean your tongue.) There is a small plastic brush head holder and a charging dock (with a 2 pin 1amp socket.) There wasn’t a travel case supplied; so this isn’t the unit to get if you travel a lot. The first time I used a braun brush was in the early 90’s and I really like the thin design – as it makes reaching teeth at the back a breeze compared to using a thicker manual brush.

The battery life and recharging technology is terrible but despite our advances in battery technology all electric toothbrush battery lives are. I think Braun and Phillips uses surplus army batteries from the in their devices. Unlike the battery in your smartphone the advice is to drain them fully if you aren’t using the device to maintain their life(and a full charge takes a day basically.) Over two weeks of use I had to charge it fully twice; it lasted about 5 days of brushing twice a day for about 3 and half minutes at a time– meaning I made it less than 20minutes of actual brushing.

When I tested the 5000 the Bluetooth feature was novel and appealed to my data collecting geekiness; it uses Bluetooth 4 – which on the iPhone at least means you don’t need to pair it. The Oral B App hasn’t changed a lot over the months and as the handle remains unchanged my criticisms of the concept haven’t changed a great deal. If you use the brush on your own its great; it tracks your usage – you don’t need the phone in the room all the time it will back update, and track how you are going. There is a stellar feature where you can program trouble spots after dentists visits and the app leaves time at the end to focus on those areas. I also quite like how the app gives you the weather and news as you brush stopping those 2 minutes from being completely dead time. Finally, it tracks the heads you use and reminds you to replace them.

Where the app approach falls down for me is they don’t detect the heads so it cant tell who is brushing – if you share the head unit with your partner you will double dip on the app. It could be awesome for parents to check their young kids are brushing through the app but it’s not available – and you can only use one handle per app so you can’t track multiple handles from one app.

Overall the 4000 brush is solid brush for the home and it’s nice to see the functionality come out at a lower price after less than a year. The Braun rotating heads are universal so the most expensive and cheapest units all use the same heads; and you get the cross action one in the box which for most people is going to be the first choice. For me the let downs on the 4000 series remains the same as those on the 5000; battery life and the undelivered promise of the app. That said the price is a big drop from last year; and the basics are the same so the excellent cleaning and benefits of the app as it stands gets the Braun 4 stars.

Lexar Professional Workflow CFR1 USB 3.0/UDMA 7 CompactFlash Card Reader - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Blazingly Fast CF read speeds, 16 Jun. 2016
I had the Lexar Workflow USB3 SD card reader; and use it for its compact size and blisteringly fast read speeds. I recently updated my camera to a 5ds and with it switched back to compact flash. I didn't hesitate in buying the Lexar USB3 Compact Flash reader. The 5ds takes HUGE files; my first test with it was 402 phones which came to 26.5gb... So being able to get the files as fast as possible is a must. The Lexar ripped them down at a huge rate ~ 150MB/s to my MacBooks ssd. That last number wins it 5*. If you have the workflow dock its compatible with that; but you get a USB 3 cable in the box; as well as a rubber bumper. The SD reader has been very robust and this feels as well made.

Belk Extensive Type Laptop Suitable Kickstand Second-Gen Wood BookArc for MacBook Pro/Retina/Air Portable Laptop Stand with Thicker Slots for Generic Notebook,Lenovo Laptop Yoga Y50 ThinkPad Dell Laptop XPS Venue Inspiron ASUS Laptop(Dark Walnut)
Offered by Valentinus

5.0 out of 5 stars Releases some desk space, keeps your macbook cool, 16 Jun. 2016
I switched my office desk up to a dual monitor solution; from a single screen. I wanted to work without using the built in screen of my macbook - as some of my applications don't like it when you have different size screens. The new screens used a fair chunk of desk space. I have always found my macbook pro get a little warm when working with the lid shut. So I decided to get a stand for it. Having looked at a number i settled on an arch style stand and chose the Belk based on the contrasting colors more than anything else.

Opening the box Belk included two rubber adaptors with their wooden desk stand. The fitted adaptor worked just fine with my 2015 macbook pro; the other bumper was wider still and probably works with the pre-retina macbooks.

The design of the Belk stand is nice and simple and leaves releases about 1/2 the area my laptop would have used back for my desk. At the same time it doubled the area open to the air keeping it running about 10c cooler than when it was on the desk (the office does have AC). The arch is a simple curved wood; with a darker veneer outer cover. This accents nicely with the black rubber you slot your laptop into. The arch has some feet to keep it in contact with your desk.

With my new desk setup the Belk laptop stand releases space and looks good whilst doing it.

Motorola Surround Wireless In-Ear Neckband Headphone
Motorola Surround Wireless In-Ear Neckband Headphone

5.0 out of 5 stars Staying, Power, 16 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been pleasantly surprised with the Motorola Surround bluetooth headphones. They are a bit different in that you get a (one piece) necklace and the headphones unit. The ear buds are on small cables that come from the necklace. Out of the box i charged the headphones up with the supplied usb cable. There is an indicator light yellow / green to let you know when charged; on a high power usb they charge in a couple of hours which is good. Once charged the battery lasts me two days of a couple of hours use in the office and commuting. One thing that has disappointed is its not clear from looking at them if they are on; this has left me leaving them powered on all night and bring flat in the morning more than once. You also don't get the power remaining in the headphones on your iPhone (unlike some other bluetooth headphones) so monitoring the remaining power is annoying.

The necklace part isn't made from the most impressive plastics; all the gaps and seams are even the materials just look a little cheap. Its the necklace that has the double use volume/ track skip buttons, power button and a call answer button. Used for calls the Motorola Surround worked far better than other headphones i have tried.

The headphones are in the ear; the medium sized tips that they arrived with fit most comfortably in my ears; motorola supplied a smaller and larger option. The rubber tips do remove some background noise but they aren't active noise cancelling so on a train the rumble is still there. If you are on a train; the backs are sealed which means you are less likely to disturb your neighbors.

As the weight is in the necklace; and the cables are short they have remained in my ears far longer than other in ear bluetooth headphones I have tried. Playing music the sound is there; they are a definite step up from the iPhone ear buds and their neutral sound appeals to my ears. The battery life is good enough; the quibbles about not being able to see how much charge is left is offset for me by the speed of recharging when they are flat but cost them a star.
The combination of acceptable sound; reasonable pricing and comfort get them 4*s

HoMedics Newa for Skin Rejuvenation
HoMedics Newa for Skin Rejuvenation

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems to work., 23 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
From the design I made an assumption that the Homedics newa device had a battery in it. I plugged it in and left it overnight; then couldnt figure out why it didn't work when i took it into the bathroom. Thankfully the very nice box comes with the transmitter and a pack of the activation/ transmission gel as well as the instructions that saved me from my assumptions. Reading the manual and getting a better feel for it; I didn't feel I needed to watch the included DVD. I started giving it a go I was concerned about heating my skin with radio waves so I started off carefully under my arm. After 4 days I couldn't see any issues from the gel or the radio. Not without some trepidation I started using it under my chin at firing it into my skin. I am not sure what the mechanism that makes it work is; but it definitely seemed to firm up after a couple of weeks use. It does take a reasonable amount of time to apply it properly each day - far more so than putting on a regular cream.

The Newa has a steep entry price but the ongoing costs of the gel are pretty reasonable. It works on my tired skin.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20