Profile for Chris Hoare > Reviews

Content by Chris Hoare
Top Reviewer Ranking: 174

Chris Hoare "Chris" (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Tenvis iProbot3 HD 720P(1280x720) H264 Wireless Wifi IP Network CCTV Camera IR Cut 5x ZOOM Pan/Tilt PTZ, Day/Night Vision, Motion Detection/Alarm, iPhone & Android Mobile View (Gray)
Offered by GLOBALEBUY-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Commitment to support makes this a great choice, 30 Sep 2014
Tenvis provided me with a sample of the iProbot 3 for review; and I wasn't sure what I had let myself in for when i agreed to test it. When it arrived the camera was inside a well presented and well protected box.

Opening the box you find the camera itself; a Wifi antenna, a wall bracket (complete with screws and even wall plugs), a power brick; with a long cord and finally a network cable to go through the initial setup.

Having been using IT for a long time; and been through the pain of setting up all kids of devices over the years adding the iProbot3 to my network was refreshingly simple. There is a manual in the box to step you through it; but in very simple terms you power the camera up and connect the camera with the included network cable to your home network router. On the included utility disk (or download form the Tenvis website if you don't have a cd drive) there is a windows and mac application to help you set it up using the wireless (or you can leave it connected to a wire.) Run the application; it shows you the settings it has been given (by your router usually) and you can input the settings to connect it to your wireless network or make the wired network settings permanent. The iProbot worked with both of my home wireless networks; (one a BT Home hub the other a cisco.)

Once on your network the camera has a website that you can use to watch a live stream of its view; handy if you want to use the camera in a babies bedroom. You can control the position or movement settings of the camera; and setup the infrared (night) mode settings - set it to auto and you don't need to worry if the lights are off going forward (When on you an see a red glow from the lights on the camera). Using the website you can control the camera and pan left to right or tilt up and down to provide some sweeping security views.

The camera's website as well as setup various alerting options. The iProbot can take a Micro SD card and save video footage to the camera like a grown up security camera; it can send an email with an image or send data to an ftp server. The email alert needs to send via an email server using; so I setup a throw away account on outlook.com and configured the camera to email me from there. The image that comes through is clear but a little compressed.

The day after I set it up I was set to Munich for work; and when someone walked into my living room the camera sent me an email with their picture instantly. The piece de la resistance was I could take my iPhone load the Tenvis app view a live stream of my home with a decent quality video stream even over 4g - i could recognise faces in the stream; the app also lets you adjust the camera position to see if was an expected visitor - the memory card saving the video at the same time. The iPhone app also allows you to control the movement of the camera which is handy.

The iProbot was easy to setup but as part of testing it I did some research and found if you get one and you do get stuck there are comprehensive support documents on their website as well as forums to ask questions -with a lot of FAQ answers to get you past setup issues that might trip you up. It was also good to see they release software updates to fix their customers issues over time. This support commitment impressed me as much as the camera itself.

The iProbot 3 is easy to setup with everything you could need to use it in the box (bar a drill and screwdriver if you choose to wall mount it.) Its small enough to be reasonably discrete in the corner of a room (it can be mounted to the ceiling to minimise its profile.) Overall the Tenvis iProbot gives is excellent value; giving peace of mind when setup as a security camera but could also make a good camera for watching your baby sleep.

As an overall package if you want the benefit a home surveillance camera the iProbot3 is good value with excellent online support; a well thought through product that is easy to setup and this combination that earn it 5*s.

Noza Tec Waterproof 5M 3528 RGB 300 Led Strips Lighting Full Kit With 24Key IR Remote +2A AC UK Plug Adapter Power Supply For Home lighting and Kitchen
Offered by Iluvthisworld2013

5.0 out of 5 stars A Low power, Low Fuss splash of colour, 24 Sep 2014
The Nozatec RGB Color kit comes with everything you need to setup a colourful LED light system. I was supplied a Kit for review purposes.

In the nozatec kit you get 5m of the 3528 LED light strip; a UK Plug (world voltage) 12v power adaptor and an infrared remote control and remote control receiver. Setting the kit up is very simple and doesn't require any electrical skills - connect the pins on the trip to the socket on the white remote control unit; then connect the 12v charger to the remote control unit plug the power in and using the remote control you are away.

I have used a number of LED light systems in the past configured in my home; as I have found them an easy way to add light or colour to rooms and I like that you can use a remote control to power them on and off or vary their intensity. Once you have the strip in place you can dial the colour to something that suits the function; and when you power it up it comes back to the last setting; or use the remote control to vary the colour to suit the mood.

This kit uses the lower power 3528 strip which has separate led's for each colour; there are higher power strips that can come with composite LED's The single LED colour low power makes this strip ideal where lower power is important; or you want a colour wash. For example you could arrange it around your tv; or under a cabinet to deliver some extra light where you need it. Being low voltage and almost no heat its safe to use around children an animals. The 3m adhesive backing helping here as well as the fact you can cut the strip down every 3LEds to get it to just the right size for your project.

The nozatec kit is excellent value and ideal for any project where you would like some extra light and to deliver some colour to a room (it doesn't do white.) The included remote control can also do some colour rotating tricks so it might work to attract attention in a retail environment or as part of a christmas decoration.

ChargerCity Exclusive DSLR Smartphone Hot Shoe Flash Camera Mount for Samsung Galaxy Note 2 S3 S4 Apple iphone 5S 5 4S HTC ONE SV DNA Sony Xperia Z ZL Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX HD Google Nexus 4 5 LG Optimus LTE Nokia Lumia 920 900 822 820 6 Multi Angel Adjustment Video recording 1/4"-20 tripod Adapter & Easy-Adjust Smartphone Holder *Use Both DSLR Camera & record w/phone simultaneously*
Offered by ChargerCity

5.0 out of 5 stars Got a grip, 22 Sep 2014
I ordered this to allow me to mount my phone whilst using a triggertrap to control the shutter release on my Canon 6d. Connected to the flash hotshoe grip are two knurled rings allow your to quickly adjust it to fit into the hotshoe as well as increase the grip it has on your camera. The phone is held between two spring loaded jaws which open up and happily hold my iPhone 5s and galaxy 4 phones. The camera holder has a few degree's of adjustment you can rotate and tilt it slightly. When not in use the clip folds down to take up less space in your bag. The plastic seems solid; and your phone is held in place by dimpled rubber. If you have trigger trap or something similar that lets you use your phone to control your camera this is a great if slightly expensive mount.

Third generation Noosy Nano & Micro Sim Card Sim Card Cutter for iPhone 5, iPhone 5s, iPhone 4 and iPad in silver , all in one cutter

5.0 out of 5 stars Trim those sims, 22 Sep 2014
I travel regularly for work and tend to get a new sim card in each port. That works well till you have a phone that uses micro or nano sims which are often harder to come by. This sim cutter trims the smaller sim to micro and micro sims to nano in a single punch. In the box was the sim cutter; a sim ejector tool (for iPhones any Nokia's) and the sim cutter. The first use I converted my full size blackberry sim down to a Nano sim to use in my old iPhone. The sim needed a little bit of cleaning on one edge (with the included emery board) before it fit but it all worked first time.

If you have used a whole punch you have had all the training you need; follow the images on the cutter before inserting your sim card into it and press down and out pops the smaller sized sim card. The remaining plastic pops out easily allowing (and can often be used as an adaptor.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 8GB/256GB - PS2-00001
Microsoft Surface Pro 3 8GB/256GB - PS2-00001

5.0 out of 5 stars Sated Technolust, 22 Sep 2014
I live with macs and develop for Windows. I have lusted after a surface from my Macpro tower for some time; and my purchasing this was tecnolust over my panacea - a small portable tablet I can listen to a film whilst doing something else - something no iPad can do. I was also fed up of waiting for apple to add touch to a macbook or launch a proper tablet os/x machine. I tried to get a surface pro 2 a number of times and failed; and when the 3 came along ordered one pdq along with a /proper/ quick type keyboard. For those times I flipped to watch the film; the surface has a bright good contrast screen and deep blacks. So for my personal goals they were immediately ticked; listening to a film whilst working on something else. One microsoftian thing I wasn't so happy about enduring was the 49 updates when i powered the machine on; the first of which fixed the wireless networking which was flaky without it.

The configuration options on the surface are limited; this model has the full 8gb of ram with a dual core processor. Used as a second machine the 256gb of storage is likely enough; if it isn't you can add a usb drive or put a SD Micro card into the device for extra space or trust your data to the cloud. Coming from mac i had a toolbox of video dongles and network adaptors that worked with the surface's display port for connecting up to a screen. The full sized USB 3 port worked with my Lexar USB 3 SD Card reader at full speed transferring images into the full Adobe Lightroom.

My first outing work; my surface survived taking notes through a 6 hour meeting and the battery held up for the whole thing. Opening the kickstand all the way back; the surface rests on the desk with a nice angle for writing and reading the screen and without getting the way of seeing everything - if you want to hide you need a different laptop. Onenote with a pen (clicking the purple button opens or switches to onenote quickly) and palm rejection is a great meeting companion scribbling notes and diagrams with ease - and having everything backup to my onedrive. Switching to handwriting recognition - even without training- and the thing is a marvel it converts quickly and pretty accurately - though there is a nice error correction feature; and its great for showing off your toy.

If you haven't used a computer with a solid state disk it will come as a surprise how quick a computer can be; office apps like work open in seconds which maintain the tablet feel of the surface. Web browsing in chrome is quick; and benefits from the touch screen allowing pinch to zoom to see details. Firing up my developer apps the system loads and builds code reasonably quickly and the screen has a nice touch in that I can make it portrait and get an almost a4 sheet of code on the screen at once. It could benefit from a faster cpu but that would likely have forced it to run out of power during my meeting. I am not a gamer so can't comment on playing games on it; it plays 1080p films from iTunes without complaint.

When you do push it the Surface does get warm on the sides; but as you load a number of apps the fans seem to keep quiet on the whole. At a desk with a keyboard attached the surface works as a nice laptop the huge range of adjustments for the stand helping a lot. The angled angled position of the keyboard adding some rake to it definitely makes typing easier its uncomfortable to rest on your lap for anything but brief periods- the kickstand digging in. Without the keyboard its a great tablet and the onscreen keyboard or handwriting recognition is excellent. I haven't tried it on a plane but the ability to go with or without keyboard likely is a plus if you turn right during boarding

The surface feels as well made as any of my mac's though the update situation needs addressing - Microsoft has no excuse not to issue a single surface update rather than 49 separate updates. If you ignore the touchscreen it doesn't do anything more than my MacBooks can. That it can do those tasks as quickly, with similar battery life and a similarly good screen is excellent. The touchscreen is the icing on the cake for casual web browsing; in a meeting the pen lets you quickly capture diagrams; in photoshop the pen is far better than the mouse. Overall the surface is a reasonably powerful laptop in the form factor of a tablet. It is priced like similar ultrabooks but if you are a power user that wants something well made, small and light the surface is more than just a laptop.

Adonit Jot Touch Pixelpoint Pressure Sensitive Stylus for iPad - Black
Adonit Jot Touch Pixelpoint Pressure Sensitive Stylus for iPad - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars 3* for offices 5* for sunflower filled fields., 22 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used the Adonit Jot classic for about eight months now. I've found it natural to use, and productive on any application on my ipad I've cared to used it with. The Touch PixelPoint is a bit different; no mere stylus it offers pressure sensitivity and palm rejection. The pen itself is nicely weighted; not too thin it feels great in your hand. It charges up via a full sized USB dongle - it charged from my iPad charger without issue if you don't have a computer. First use; its strange that you don't have to sync it to your iPads bluetooth- the apps manage the sync process which wasn't something I had consciously noticed before.

When it comes to writing; my hand wrests on the medium; on an iPad this is an issue as it draws lines or scrolls all over the place so Palm rejection is the killer feature to get when using a pen with it.

The Pixelpoint pen is supported by a number of apps; listed clearly on the adonit website. The first few apps I tried it with were already on my iPad; Procreate and Adobe Sketch. Both offer support for the Touch - the features easily enabled in their menus. Of the two only Procreate offers palm rejection -adobe sketch is still difficult to use in my natural pen position - without palm recognition lines appeared all over. In procreate the pen is a joy; there is a slight lag between pen and screen; but my palm was ignored and pressing harder did result in a darker line. My palm rejection experience was repeated with note taking apps; only none truly rejected my palm in the way procreate had.ge, it was just not happening for me. In Apps without adonit support the pen works like any other stylus so you can use it with anything - you just don't get all the features.

Matched to the right app the Adonit Jot Touch is excellent; for drawing or taking notes it works better than any other pen I have tried. With any new technology the problem is that the number of perfect support apps that would get the pen 5* is only a handful. Unfortunately for me; i spent more time in meetings than i do sketching - if you are an artist this is likely 5* all down the line if you are a technocrat than 3*. When Adonit get Microsoft to support it in Onenote my review instantly becomes 5* - for me Onenote being the killer application; till then the app support gets it 3* for offices 5* for sunflower filled fields.

Spice Route Chenin Blanc 2013 Wine 75 cl (Case of 3)
Spice Route Chenin Blanc 2013 Wine 75 cl (Case of 3)

2.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing delicate; not my cup of coffee, 16 Sep 2014
I first experience The Spice Route Chenin blanc; over chilled and after a wine tasting evening of explosive reds I felt nothing. This was a delicate wine that benefitted from a bit of warmth. After some hand warming of the glass and the pale straw coloured wine opened up. Eventually releasing a feint tropical fruit aroma. The Spice Route is a refreshing light wine with soft hints lighter citrus like grapefruit. It’s a refreshing wine; but as I found easily overpowered take it with salty snacks or a light pasta. If you like your wines subtle and refreshing this is the ticket; sadly I prefer my rich reds.

Darling Cellars Chocoholic Pinotage 2013 Wine 75 cl (Case of 3)
Darling Cellars Chocoholic Pinotage 2013 Wine 75 cl (Case of 3)

3.0 out of 5 stars Gift wine, 16 Sep 2014
The cynic in me wonders who decided to put aholic in the name. Darling Cellars have done so with Chocoholic . They have taken the name to heart and produced a jaunty bottle with packaging reminiscent of an elegant 50s bar of chocolate. As you pour it from the bottle you find a dark red with the smell of earthy fruits you associate with another time; a bramblish plummy smell. As you drink it you have a slightly sweet rich smooth wine. You definitely get the hint of lingering cocoa on the pallet. With the packaging this would make a great gift for people happy being described with aholic. For me I like my wines to have a bit more a kick; I found it a little muddled.

Paul Cluver Wines Noble Late Harvest Riesling 2012 Half Bottle Wine 37.5 cl (Case of 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply a Great dessert wine., 16 Sep 2014
I am not a prolific dessert wine drinker; their often a sweet strong alcohol mix that remind me mostly of listerine. The Paul Cluver Noble Riesling was in that regard a revelation; as you pour the Paul Cluver Late Harvest Riesling from the delicate bottle you see is a syrupy golden coloured wine fill your glass. A sweet aroma with strong honey and but with hints of the drupe family coming through with hints if apricots and peach coming through. Drinking it the first thing that hit me wasn't a strong alcohol burst rather; the syrupy texture coating my tastebuds with sweetness and lovely fruity flavours; with just a hint of golden syrup. As your dinner party comes to an end surprise your friends with the perfect partner for anyones dessert be it cheese or cake.

Glenelly Glass Collection Cabernet Sauvignon 2011 Wine 75 cl (Case of 3)
Glenelly Glass Collection Cabernet Sauvignon 2011 Wine 75 cl (Case of 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Smooth earthy red, 16 Sep 2014
If you have had your fill of tired French reds and want something new worldish to chew on then the grande Glenelly Glass' packaging isn't overselling the experience.

With the Glass Collection Cabernet Sauvignon you are getting a flavourful reasonably priced red; its a lovely almost opaque deep ruby in your glass; and slightly chewy in the mouth. Tasting it you are hit with a juicy intense wine with an hints of autumnal fruits with earthy tones of vanilla and smoke coming through; after that comes a long dry finish. Its not overpowering; but would if you want a strong accompaniment for steak or a rich cheese this is just the ticket.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20