Profile for Paul > Reviews

Content by Paul

Paul

Carnegie Hall (January 16th, 1938 - The Complete Concert)
Carnegie Hall (January 16th, 1938 - The Complete Concert)
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing sound for its age, 10 Jun 2014
Expectations are never particularly high for sound quality with recordings of this vintage, but the engineers have done a fantastic job here. On the very first track, I thought there might be a problem with this album - the great man's clarinet seems rather distant, but this doesn't apply to subsequent tracks. Listening on my iPod while toiling in the gym is a perfect way of listening to this wonderful event.

All in all, a great way to own so much material by the brilliant Benny Goodman.

Canon PIXMA MG6350 All-In-One Colour Printer (Print, Copy, Scan, Wi Fi and Airprint) Black
Price: 118.38

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so very good., 27 Mar 2014
Having sent my previous, and admittedly low end, HP printer back to the supplier for a refund after 6 months, I decided to pay a bit more this time to hopefully enjoy a bit more quality and longevity! Like most, I read lots of reviews on here and at Which? and decided the 6350 fitted the bill.

So far this has been a good experience, although as we know, only time tells with these products. Print quality cannot be faulted, whether it be colour photos or a 'fast' document. Photocopying is also very good. The touch menu works well and I'm so glad to return to Canon's Printer Management driver that allows great flexibility when printing from the PC.

Much has been made of the automatic drop-down front paper guide panel (that always makes me jump!) that has to be returned manually. I haven't found that particularly irksome, and the same can be said of the lengthy pre-print checks that seem somewhat over-the-top.

Given previous problems, I have decided that I will try, for the first time, using Canon's own replacement print cartridges costing 60 from my usual supplier (ink2u) for the six colours. I haven't got a real idea yet how thirsty this model will be - the level monitors indicate about half used after a couple of weeks' light use - but this could prove to be the only negative with such high running costs. If the printer keeps working well for a long time then perhaps it'll be worth it.

HP Deskjet 2510 All-In-One Printer
HP Deskjet 2510 All-In-One Printer
Offered by wowtech
Price: 55.00

1.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment, 18 Feb 2014
I rarely give a 1-star rating as there are usually good reasons for things going wrong. However, this printer (bought new in June 2013) has rarely performed well. It has now stopped printing altogether, probably caused by a print head failure/blockage that the limited on-board utilities has not resolved. I've had a refund.

My first problem came when I attempted to print non-standard sizes, e.g. CD booklets. The paper feeder just can't manage to achieve a print that isn't misaligned. Previous printers of this type have had no such problems.

Then came ink problems. I would definitely NOT recommend buying a printer such as this that relies on a single cartridge to provide Cyan/Magenta/Yellow. The quality was never that good and of course, as soon as one colour starts to run low, the whole unit is rendered useless (unless you are happy with colourless results).

Perhaps I was expecting too much from a printer this price, but I would certainly recommend paying a bit more for (hopefully) better results in the long run.

Dancing On The Edge
Dancing On The Edge
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories of a great series, 5 Mar 2013
This review is from: Dancing On The Edge (MP3 Download)
OK, hearing the music away from the drama makes for a different experience, but this excellent score is still hugely enjoyable on its own.
I have found it impossible to determine exactly who the performers are in the Louis Lester Band - it's not the actors! - so some background information would have been good. But these are wonderful tunes from a composer, Adrian Johnston, that I didn't know too much about previously.

Panasonic TX-L32E3B 32-inch Widescreen HD Ready TV with Freeview HD Tuner
Panasonic TX-L32E3B 32-inch Widescreen HD Ready TV with Freeview HD Tuner
Offered by Hyper-Fi
Price: 299.99

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't go wrong, 4 Sep 2011
Having owned a 19" Panasonic for a couple of years and being very pleased with it, I had high hopes of this 32" version. These days I pretty much accept that Panasonic appliances are going to be of quality and this set does not disappoint. I also own two Panasonic DVD HDD recorders and similar to those, this TV is very easy to set up and operate. One of the best aspects of all four of the aforementioned is the logical and easy-to-understand remote control handsets. So often when I have attempted to use other people's handsets they are littered with spurious and meaningless graphics but each button on the Panasonics' are clearly labelled.

The standard picture quality is so good I can barely notice any improvement with HD channels although I haven't studied this aspect in depth.

Highly recommended and Amazon's price and speed of delivery was excellent as usual.

Panasonic ES7101S511 Pro-Curve Triple Blade Men's Shaver
Panasonic ES7101S511 Pro-Curve Triple Blade Men's Shaver

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as it gets?, 6 Feb 2010
I have wet-shaved since removing my beard 25 years ago but I finally got fed up with that chore. Even though I have bad memories of a Philishave from pre-beard times I thought I would electric shaving another try. On the strength of a Which? report and some reviews here I opted for the Panasonic.

There is no way it compares to a wet shave for closeness but it does get quite close except for around the neck hairs which prove difficult to remove completely. Having said that, trying to deal rigorously around there on a wet shave often produces blood or very sore areas! There is no soreness using this shaver, it is comfortable to hold and the battery life is excellent (at the moment). I have recharged twice in a month after the initial one.

I have awarded this 5 stars as I imagine electric shaving doesn't get any better than this. I haven't used it in wet-shave mode - wasn't that what I was trying to move away from? However, cleaning under the tap is very easy and convenient.

I need to decide now whether to invest in replacement blades lest they go out of stock in future.

Conclusion: recommended!!

Panasonic TX-L19X10B 19-inch Widescreen HD Ready LCD TV with Freeview - Black
Panasonic TX-L19X10B 19-inch Widescreen HD Ready LCD TV with Freeview - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Top-rated small TV, 10 Dec 2009
Having only a small recess for a second TV I checked out this model and the Sony equivalent (these being the two makes I have most confidence in historically). This Panasonic is a Which? Best Buy which ultimately swung it for me (although the Sony isn't actually reviewed). That review points out that although viewing angles aren't fantastic (the picture fades when you watch it from below or the side) it's a common problem on TVs this size and this model is better than any of the competion. Sound quality seems to be an issue with most flat panel TVs of all sizes and this 19" Panasonic isn't brilliant either but it is adequate. No problem for me however as, for any programme with sound worth listening to, i.e. decent soundtracks, I have the TV permanently hooked into my HI-FI which gives brilliant cinematic results.

The picture is excellent if you get your viewing angles correct using the tilting stand.

The programming Guide (EPG) has irritating adverts apparently although if you don't enter your postcode when prompted at set-up (for security) no adverts appear. Take your choice.

I also use this TV as an occasional PC monitor and that works well too. Several reviewers of the Sony complained it was useless as a PC monitor but that was possibly attempting to use the HD connection. My laptop has no HD output but using the 15-way D connector cable (same as between a PC and monitor) I am happy with the result.

Delivery was next day (less than 24 hours) which is service you can't argue with.

Ez Grabber designed to capture video source from VHS, V8 and Hi8. You can then burn files from your PC DVD, VCD and SVCD after editing

4.0 out of 5 stars Ultimately an excellent product, 3 Feb 2009
Ultimately, the EZ Grabber is an excellent product especially at this price but installation can be full of bear-traps and I fell into all of them.

True, the manual is poor but is just sufficient.

First, when attempting to load the drivers, I was getting all kinds of errors mostly telling me to insert the Win XP Service Pack 3 CD because it couldn't locate the necessary files. I found that these files did indeed exist in other directories and once I pointed the installation process in that direction it looked as though I'd cracked it.

However, having loaded the EZ s/w successfully, I found that launching the programme generated a Microsoft error and the programme would not run. I uninstalled the driver and found the MS message did not appear. Somebody suggested my recent SP 3 upgrade may be screwed so I reloaded that again and this time the driver loaded OK.

That MS error message still appeared for every launch though until I discovered that my preferred USB sound card was the culprit and there seemed to be a conflict. I installed my Cardbus/PCMCIA card and hey presto! I was away.

My initial efforts confirm this product does seem to work well. However I think I might know what the problem for some may be: one of my tasks was to copy to DVD some commercial VHS tapes that had copyright protection and which my DVD recorder refused to record from. I presumed no such problem would occur when streaming to a PC - but I was wrong and it's just possible that reports of out-of-synch sound, garbage and/or b&w or wobbly images, etc are because people are falling foul of this issue. Streaming from other sources is fine.

Now to the bundled U Lead Video Studio editing s/w. I am surprised at the negative comments seen here although I agree that capturing is best done with the EZ s/w. I have copied short clips from TV and my Hi8 camera and I have to say the ULead is capable of amazing, professional-like results.

Moonfleet (Wordsworth's Children's Classics)
Moonfleet (Wordsworth's Children's Classics)
by John Meade Falkner

4.0 out of 5 stars Moonfleet revisited, 3 April 2006
I was moved to re-read this book having recently re-visited Carisbrooke Castle on the Isle of Wight where part of this story is set. In fact it is still possible to see the donkey-powered well, scene of a very dramatic moment in the story, in action at set times, but which is only a visitor attraction these days. I am usually a very slow reader but I flew through this tale, which is surprising as it's written in 'ye olde english' and takes some getting used to but it really does add flavour to the adventure. The only downside of this story is that the ending is somewhat contrived to say the least (I won't spoil it for those yet to seek out this book) but hey, this is 1757, maybe that's what happened in those times. A personal slant to this book is that (many years ago) in primary school, I remember a teacher reading this story, from memory, in regular instalments before home time. What an amazing skill and I can remember him holding our attention until the end.