Profile for simonpeggfan > Reviews

Zoom MS-50G Multistomp Guitar Pedal
Zoom MS-50G Multistomp Guitar Pedal
Offered by Music Gear

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than expected :-), 27 Feb 2013
I've used multi-effects in the past, and generally I dislike them. The 50G seems more intuitive than previous effects I've used and more importantly saves what I'm doing. You can build your patch [i.e. Compressor -> EQ -> Tubescreamer -> Gate] and change parameters of each virtual pedal on the fly and move the pedals around the chain.

I bought this because I needed an EQ and Noise Gate and this was cheaper than two MXR pedals and less cables, I haven't seriously tested the amp simulations as this is going into a valve amp, but they appear as good as many pedal (rather than computer plug-in) simulations.

I'm using this for recording rather than live and already I'm doing a fair bit of manually switching between my patches but you can cycle through them in order using the footswitch. A letter can be assigned to each patch so live the footswitch will cycle through them so you can have up to 26 patches in succession (Please, don't. Prog Rock is not really coming back. Apart from Muse).

Life's Too Short to Drink Bad Wine: 100 wines for the discerning drinker
Life's Too Short to Drink Bad Wine: 100 wines for the discerning drinker
by Simon Hoggart

4.0 out of 5 stars Well Written Pointer, 24 Jun 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As some one enjoys wine but couldn't call themselves knowledgeable I wanted something to help with wine selection. This book was a really useful and well written pointer towards how to experiment with wine.

Diary of a Wimpy Vampire
Diary of a Wimpy Vampire
by Tim Collins

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun, 24 Jun 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found this great fun - laugh out loud funny and a great little Adrian Mole for the Twilight generation, contrasting the power of the vampire with the lack of power that every teenager suffers from.

I though this was too short, but what there was was great.

AmazonBasics Adjustable Tablet Stand
AmazonBasics Adjustable Tablet Stand

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my Kindle Fire, 24 Jun 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've tried stands before for my iPad but wanted something to allow me to watch movies on my (imported) Kindle Fire. This is a great little compact stand (about 1" x 1" x 6"), intuitive to fold out (as a man I inevitably didn't read the instructions) and stable. Perfect. Hugely adjustable so you can use it in landscape or portrait mode and enables you to charge the device while you watch.

Jerome Russell Bblonde Cream Peroxide 40Vol 12%
Jerome Russell Bblonde Cream Peroxide 40Vol 12%
Offered by Discount Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Great - long term use no problem, 29 July 2011
I've been using Jerome Russell Peroxide with B-Blonde Powder Bleach Highlift 25g sachets for 18 years or so (!). I've never encountered any problems with this.

For me this is the gold (blonde?) standard for bleaching hair.

Doctor Who: The Essential Companion
Doctor Who: The Essential Companion
by Steve Tribe
Edition: Audio CD

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Terribly Essential - but not terrible, 31 Dec 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A polished audio presentation of The fifth series of Doctor Who (or Series One, or Series Thirty-One), the one with Matt Smith as the Eleventh Doctor, Karen Gillan as Amy Pond, and Steven Moffat as executive producer and head writer.

It's an abridged audio telling of the stories, using the original TV audio, music and SFX, with linking narration from Alex Price from Doctor Who Confidential.

Sadly, I almost inevitably found these to be lacking compared to the TV version. It's not simply the plot that makes these stories so great for me, and I found these without the humour, the depth of writing, or suspense of the TV.

I've enjoyed complete audio releases of classic Doctor Who such as 'The Massacre', with additional (cast) narration and I can't help but think that the mistake here was to abridge the episodes.

Not essential, but interesting - might still be useful on a long car journey!

AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable 6.5 Feet / 2.0 m Supports Ethernet / 3D / Audio Return (Newest Standard)

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job - perfectly, 31 Dec 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Arriving in Amazon's frustration-free packaging I didn't have to cut through lots of plastic to get at this, just unfold some easily recyclable card - I really do appreciate that!

Used this to attach my new Apple TV to my Sony Bravia set. Fixes in place securely, more so than some other (more expensive) HDMI cables I have owned. HDMI 1.4 compatible, which is more that I need right now but does future-proof for further developments such as 3D.

Works perfectly. Job done :-)

Turbulence
Turbulence
by Giles Foden

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 15 July 2010
This review is from: Turbulence (Hardcover)
Had great expectations based on reviews and the author's previous work - I was really looking forward to this!

Sadly, although it's well written, I was disappointed by the book. The plot didn't really grip me (and surely the preparations for D-Day and forecasting the weather could have!), the characters didn't appeal, and as one reviewer has already said - it's no 'Enigma'. I was clearly expecting a novel about forecasting for D-Day - and that isn't really what this is.

The Bookman
The Bookman
by Lavie Tidhar

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Steam punk Romp, 15 July 2010
This review is from: The Bookman (Paperback)
Steam punks ahoy!

A fun Adventure novel with lots of nice touches, and an expectation of a knowledge of literature - I did love the Persons from Porlock and Inspector Irene Adler within the first few pages.

It's not an outstanding or terribly significant work, but it's fun and action-packed - and I rather enjoyed it. Recommended for fans of Steam punk genre fiction.

eMedia iDrum (PC/Mac)
eMedia iDrum (PC/Mac)
Offered by Gameseek

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, but not a huge leap, 15 July 2010
This review is from: eMedia iDrum (PC/Mac) (CD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Installing the software was easy. Did this used to be a Shareware product many years ago? There's no shame in that but it's not the most polished piece of software.

Works well enough within Garageband or Logic and better than the installed GB sounds, but not by a vast amount - for a basic improvement it's good, and good value for money but I didn't find it a significant improvement.

You can use your own samples within Logic anyhow and for a drum kit I eventually went for XLN's Addictive Drums - now *that's* impressive - but very expensive!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7