Profile for Matt Fisher > Reviews

Content by Matt Fisher

Matt Fisher "mattster10" (Denderwindeke, Belgium)

Page: 1 | 2
Cyber Recordings 2013
Cyber Recordings 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars The Dogs are (nearly) back!, 13 Aug 2013
This review is from: Cyber Recordings 2013 (Audio CD)
The "classic line up" back with 4 new tracks.... And it's actually pretty good! Strangely, it sounds most like "More uncharted heights...." than DJS-era, even with Jo's slide all over it but the quality of the songs is better than anything released in the last 20 years. A pleasant surprise.... Go ahead, buy it! (Not for me... Think of the poor bloke in the record shop...)

Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake
Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake

5.0 out of 5 stars Sorry... it is as good as people say!, 9 Sep 2011
This review is from: Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake (Audio CD)
See review below; I bought a CD player in 1993 (after years of holding out and hoping vinyl wouldn't die) because I could only get this on CD!!!! There's a version with "Tin Soldier" on one of the reissues (which is the sound of Weller being born... plus if you ever had the Dogs D'Amour on vinyl... Baby Glass... oh yeah) which is quiet possibly the best Small Faces song ever.

No, it's not Sgt Pepper... it's not the Village Green either... but it's of the same canon and calibre. Buy it now! It comes in a tin... like old pipe tobacco... it's tongue in cheek... but Marriott's got the voice of an angel... who smokes "Sus" roll ups

Acoustic Solutions SP151 80G Hard Disc Jukebox System
Acoustic Solutions SP151 80G Hard Disc Jukebox System

3.0 out of 5 stars Better get an iPod, 20 Jun 2011
Seriously... it takes longer to load this, it's harder to back up... I ran out of memory halfway through my CD collection (and that's just the ones I wanted to add...). Not sure where the 80G went as my 64G iPod isn't full yet. And it's a real pain to add titles for CDs not in the (not very comprehensive) library.

Sound quality of playback is pretty much as good as the CD player. But that's kind of irrelevant...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 7, 2012 7:00 PM BST

Snark All Instrument Clip On Tuner
Snark All Instrument Clip On Tuner

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick, easy, accurate..., 20 Jun 2011
This review is from: Snark All Instrument Clip On Tuner
Actually, do I need to say anything else?

I use it on electric guitar, bass, acoustic (6 and 12), mandolin & uke. Works fine, every time! The face with the read out on can be angled pretty much any direction, so you can always see it. It's so goo you should buy two!

Kiss My Grass: A Hillbilly Tribute to Kiss
Kiss My Grass: A Hillbilly Tribute to Kiss
Offered by THE MUSIC SELLER

4.0 out of 5 stars Show us yer Willie... Nelson!, 29 Jun 2006
If you haven't heard the wonderous sound of Hayseed Dixie, I can highly recommend them. Kiss lyrics work especially well against the bluegrass sound... very redneck! Very tongue in cheek...

The strange thing about this album is the songs that you expect to be good ain't the best. Sure, "Detroit Rock City" is good, but the pretty mediocre "Let's Put The X in Sex" finds a new lease of life.

And hearing rock guitar solos on a banjo while the mandolin chugs out the rythmn is worth the admission price alone. If it's just a taste you want, try the excellent "Let There Be Rock Grass"... if you're a Kiss fan though, this is a must.

Into The Woods
Into The Woods

5.0 out of 5 stars Morose magnificence, 1 Aug 2005
This review is from: Into The Woods (Audio CD)
Any songwriter who writes the line "I'd rather have you than sing these shit songs" deserves a medal. Mr Middleton is that man... the opening song "Break My Heart" is a classic; not just for that line but a myriad of other belters. The lyrics throughout are dark in subject matter but there's a real black humour in there too. There are also some real gems of songs with some beautiful lines, my favourite being "Devastation", which inlcudes "I've never been so lonely as when you're in the next room" and "I sorry for the silence, I'm sorry for the noise. You know I'll make it up to you with a million steak McCoys."
It's definately more tuneful than Arab Strap... obvious comparisons with Belle & Sebastian but there's a harder edge. Oh, just buy it. It's great!

Legal Man
Legal Man
Offered by Giant Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE IT!!!!!!, 5 July 2005
This review is from: Legal Man (Audio CD)
Legal Man is the BEST song B&S have produced (and they have a fine body of work). The sound of the summer. Can't even remember what the other tracks are like but I don't care.

Cold Roses
Cold Roses
Offered by skyvo-direct

3.0 out of 5 stars Have I got a different CD?, 23 May 2005
This review is from: Cold Roses (Audio CD)
Sorry, but I can't agree with the guys above... either I don't get it, or this isn't that good. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan... I just feel he's lost something. The lyrics aren't as sharp, the singing not as emotive, the arrangements are a little flabby. It doesn't have the intimacy of "Heartbreaker", the lushness of "Pneumonia" or the power of "Gold".
The first 2 tracks on the 2nd CD got my hopes up but then it was more of the same. I feel it's abit like "Love is Hell" - it would probably have been a good single CD but as a 2 CD set, it lacks focus / quality control.
Maybe it's a grower, but it's got a long way to grow. First (second and third) impressions are 3 stars tops.

American Scream: The Bill Hicks Story
American Scream: The Bill Hicks Story
by Cynthia True

3.0 out of 5 stars Great man, wild life, dull biography..., 14 Dec 2004
I remember the first time I saw Bill Hicks on Channel 4 (late 80's, Jools Holland's Happening, I think...). One of the funniest comedians I had ever seen. He approached things from a completely different angle and was probably the funniest, most intelligent comedian I'd ever seen. And certainly the only one with a serious social, rather than purely political, message. None of your "right on", politically correctness here...
So I bought this book and, whilst there some interesting stuff in there I didn't know about his life, there's a lot of stuff I knew already or didn't really care about (sorry Bill!). The guy should be remembered through his art, not through someone else repeating his jokes in print, where you'll only really get it if you can remember hearing or seeing hi telling it.
Don't buy this, by the DVD "Totally Bill Hicks" instead. Then you'll see what all the fuss was about....

Smile
Smile
Offered by nagiry

3.0 out of 5 stars How could it possibly live up to expectations?, 8 Dec 2004
This review is from: Smile (Audio CD)
With all the hype about this album, how could it ever live up to the expectations of the music fans who have waited for 37 years for this work to be completed and released? I'm 32 and have been aware of Smile for more than 10 years. The record that was even better than Pet Sounds and Pepper. The record that drove Brian mad as he strived for absolute perfection.
Looking at this objectively (having taken time to reflect as I got this on release day...), it's very interesting musically - repeating themes and motifs are reminiscent of classical music, rather than pop and I've never heard anything like it before. But in terms of the strength of the songs, I think Pet Sounds is stronger (although instead of Sloop John B, here we have Vegetables....).
It is a wonderful work of art and a huge achievement to finally see this album released but I think there are stronger songs in Wilson's formidable canon.

Page: 1 | 2