Profile for B. Thorne > Reviews

Content by B. Thorne

B. Thorne (London, England)

Page: 1 | 2
De'Longhi Coffee Maker Descaler, 0.5 Litre
De'Longhi Coffee Maker Descaler, 0.5 Litre

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 17 Aug 2014
Purchased this as the less expensive option to keep my bean to cup machine descaled per manufacturer's instructions.

Rexel No. 66 14mm Heavy Duty Staples 100 Sheet Capacity (Pack of 5000)
Rexel No. 66 14mm Heavy Duty Staples 100 Sheet Capacity (Pack of 5000)

3.0 out of 5 stars Staples, 17 Aug 2014
There's nothing to say about these, except they're big staples to fit a Rexel Giant stapler, and seem to be expensive for what they are. Somewhat cheaper online, anyway.

Access 2013: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)
Access 2013: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)
by Matthew MacDonald

4.0 out of 5 stars Access 2013 - so far, so good, 17 Aug 2014
I have purchased "Missing Manuals" before, and generally been pleased with them; as I'm self-taught, I can't do without decent software guides. I am in the process of moving data from another program into Access, and of course there are difficulties. It might have got five stars but for an important work-around not working as described, but of course it may be me! I have some way to go before I can be considered halfway competent in basic Access, and provide a proper review. As I have not tried any other manuals on Access, I'm not in a position to compare it with any others.

Dell Professional P1913S 19 inch LED Monitor - Black (1280x1024, VGA, DVI-D, DisplayPort, USB 2.0, 1000:1, 60Hz, 5ms)

5.0 out of 5 stars Dual monitor size upgrade, 17 Aug 2014
I purchased these as replacements for two smaller ones operating as dual monitors at work. 19" were the largest I could hope to accommodate on my desk, and it was either to be two like these or one wide screen; the dual display suits my work needs much better. Much less scrolling to see everything on the page. I have previously purchased one of these for a colleague, and am pleased with them so far. I can't comment on technical points, and they are not used for graphics, but the picture is fine so far as I can see. Delivery was particularly swift. My only niggle is in regard to the USB ports, which I find difficult to get to; having them on the side of the monitor, as on the old one, was much more accessible.

Plantronics Audio 478 PC Folding USB Stereo Headset
Plantronics Audio 478 PC Folding USB Stereo Headset

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 26 Oct 2013
My first set of these unaccountably stopped working, but I returned them to Amazon without any fuss, and bought another set. Touch wood, these are still working. I use them for digital dictation, and have found them better than a standard headset plugged into the sound card.I have not yet used them on the move, I'm not sure how they will stand up to being in a bag at risk of crushing; the hinges seem sturdy though.

Brother HL-5450DN Mono Laser Business Network Ready Duplex Printer
Brother HL-5450DN Mono Laser Business Network Ready Duplex Printer
Offered by Printerland

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't actually love it, 26 Oct 2013
I am pleased with this printer so far, it's faster than my previous model; only downside, apart from the price of consumables, it that it is a bit noisy. I will, of course, be annoyed at the cost of the consumables. I would love to know the cost-price of the printer and the consumables, and I wonder whether I, or any of us, would prefer to pay more for the printer, and less for the consumables.

DIGITALJIMS VERTICAL LEATHER BELT CLIP POUCH CASE COVER PROTECTOR FOR MOTOROLA RAZR I XT890
Offered by Digitaljims

4.0 out of 5 stars Belt clip phone case, 15 Sep 2013
Difficult to fault at the price. The phone fits snugly (no room for a gel skin), but can be extracted easily. I can't close the case with headphones connected, but can't complain at that. All in all, pleased with this purchase.

Belkin CoolSpot Cooling Stand for Laptops up to 17-inch - Black
Belkin CoolSpot Cooling Stand for Laptops up to 17-inch - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Cooling stand, 8 Jun 2013
A reasonable price for the stand. I am not using it with the fan most of the time, partly because it takes up a USB port, and partly the noise. Without the fan it seems better than having the laptop flat on the desk anyway.

Office 2013 For Dummies
Office 2013 For Dummies
by Wallace Wang

3.0 out of 5 stars Office 2013, 8 Jun 2013
Rating probably unfair to the author - the program is so vast he can hardly do more than scratch the surface. I have resisted having to use MS Office for years (I am a diehard fan of WordPerfect for word processing, and don't like Word), but have had to switch to Excel. The book hasn't helped as much as I had hoped, but it's not fair to judge it on that basis. I am, in general, a fan of the Dummies books, and still prefer their approach to that of other series.

Brother Tn3060 Tn 3060 Tn-3060 Toner Cartridge For Hl/5130/5140/5150D/5170Dn Mfc/8220/8440/8840D/8440Dn Dcp/8040/8045D/8045Dn Laser Printer
Offered by First Photo

4.0 out of 5 stars Toner, 8 Jun 2013
Expensive, but I've never had any problem with them. I have no idea how much the cartirdges cost to make, but the price of consumables (including the drum, which is a monstrous price for what it is) is obvisouly out of kilter with the price of the printer. Would I perefer to pay more for the printer, and less for the consumables? I really don't know.

Page: 1 | 2