Profile for Dark_Lady_L > Reviews

Dark_Lady_L

My Magical Oasis: Art Therapy Colouring Book for Creative Minds
My Magical Oasis: Art Therapy Colouring Book for Creative Minds
by Eglantine de La Fontaine

5.0 out of 5 stars My Magical Oasis . . . why can't I live there?!?, 25 Jun. 2015
Bought a copy for my eldest daughter – she works a high-powered job in the city – and she’s absolutely delighted with it. There are so, so many colouring books around these days, but this one really stood out for me. With its sumptuous golden cover, beautifully thought-out illustrations (the artist has been sure to leave plenty of room for readers to get creative too) and just a little French ‘je ne sais quoi’, I knew this was the one to order! I’d wholeheartedly recommend – as a perfect pick-me-up gift for that over-stressed friend of yours . . . or a treat for yourself. If the Magical Oasis was a real place, I’d definitely want to live there.

100 Reasons to Love Ryan Gosling
100 Reasons to Love Ryan Gosling
by Joanna Benecke

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon needs more stars!, 18 Oct. 2013
Hey girl! What can I say about this book? Um . . . that you can absolutely judge it by its cover?

No, in all seriousness, this is the most gorgeous gift book that I intend to press upon all my closest friends this Christmas in a semi-hysterical state!! Featuring almost as many pictures as reasons (100, of course), the book really does contain a stunning selection of photos - even by the standards of the eternally gorgeous Mr Gosling.

And while many of the reasons take the form of hopelessly girly one-liners, many more contain the kind of lesser-known trivia and little-known facts about Ryan and his personal life that even I wasn't aware of it. That's saying something since I freely admit that I'm unhealthily obsessed by the man.

Anyway, in closing, I urge you not to hesitate in giving into the impulse to buy this book. It lived up to my expectations 100% and is the perfect gift if ever you're stuck for what to get your friend. The only hard part is letting Ryan go, of course . . .

Cher: Strong Enough
Cher: Strong Enough
by Josiah Howard

5.0 out of 5 stars Factual, passionate and perfectly balanced!, 18 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Cher: Strong Enough (Paperback)
Amongst the slew of biographies I've read on the lovely Ms Cherilyn Sarkisian, this one stands out by a mile! When Variety magazine called it, 'a labour of love' they really weren't exaggerating. The author is clearly as devoted a fan as you'll find. Actually I think he even scored a writing job with Cher's team in Vegas while she was in residency there - which is pretty incredible, but entirely deserved in my humble opinion. The book is absolutely filled with his original new interview material. And the fact that he's gone the extra mile to track down ex-crew members, lovers, guests on the Cher show, etc. etc. really shines through. It's a much stronger (oh - pardon the title reference) biography for his time and trouble.

Though the focus of the book is quite narrow - honing in on the years when she was lighting up the screen as America's sweetheart TV host - this is exactly what I liked about the book. So much trash has been written about her tempestuous love life/excruciatingly public court battles at this time, that it was really refreshing to get an unbiased perspective - based on facts rather than empty hype. Though the author has nothing but love for Cher - her crazy beautiful outfits and her gorgeous personality - he never lets this cloud his judgement. And what you can expect is a meticulously researched, flawless new version of the facts. The detail is such that it's the next best thing to actually being there on the set. Needless to say, pictures of Bob Mackie's dazzling couture creations are nothing short of gorgeous. For all those who missed their chance to sit in on the groundbreaking 70s show - this is almost as good as being there in person! Hope you all enjoy it half as much as I did.