Profile for Matiqua > Reviews

Content by Matiqua

Matiqua "matiqua"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Aquarius English Potpourri Hard Back Case/Cover/Shield for Kindle 4 2011 6 inch version with LCD Screen Protector.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard shell case, 19 Jun 2012
This is exactly what I was looking for: a hard shell to decorate my Kindle. I have a pouch to store it in, so I don't need a screen cover, but this is really cool.
The description is misleading, however, I think it's from an altogether different item as it says "hand-stitched" and this is just a hard plastic case... Just beware

QUICKUTZ ORNAMENT KS-0587 2x2 Die
QUICKUTZ ORNAMENT KS-0587 2x2 Die
Offered by Hazels Crafts

5.0 out of 5 stars Clean cut, 5 Jan 2012
I have recently started making cards and I discovered I really like die cutting. This is part of my Christmas collection, together with the round ornament and I have used them a lot: they are really versatile, as you can stamp them or emboss them and they look great. I like the fact that the main part and the 'hanger' are on two separate dies so you can play with different colours and textures.
I am really glad I got them!

Belkin F8N300cw129 10.2 inch Pleated Sleeve for Netbook Large Grey
Belkin F8N300cw129 10.2 inch Pleated Sleeve for Netbook Large Grey
Offered by Branded and New

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart Pleats, 15 Sep 2010
I bought this sleeve for my brand new net book, so that it doesn't get immediately scratched and is protected from accidental bumps. I chose this Belkin sleeve because it has the added advantage of having a pocket to keep all netbook-related stuff together, such as additional battery (what's the point of it, if you don't keep it with you?) and charger. I have an Asus eeepc 1008p and the sleeve is a bit big, the width is OK, but the breadth is roomy for my small machine. However, all 10" netbook sleeves fit like that on my eeepc, so I can't complain.
The zippers are well covered on the inside, so your netbook will not get scratched, and they look solid, good quality. The front one is completely hidden in one of the pleats, which is smart.
The main compartment is separated from the pocket by a fairly stiff layer, covered in soft cloth, so that, whatever you carry in the pocket, it's not likely to damage the netbook.
The front of the sleeve is made of a coarse material that looks quite tough, whereas the back is softer and smoother. It's a nice shade of grey, not too light not too dark, that goes well with my bright and colourful eeepc.
It's not a snazzy design that will turn heads, but I find it has grown on me with use, I am happy I bought it.

200 Veggie Feasts: Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook: Over 200 Delicious Recipes and Ideas
by Louise Pickford

5.0 out of 5 stars Meat eater loves Veggies!, 1 April 2010
I am not a vegetarian, I like my bit of meat from time to time, but I also love veggies: they are so versatile and tasty!
This book is really a great addition to any kitchen, it includes lovely clearly explained recipes, the ingredients used are not outlandish and impossible to get and the taste! The taste is wonderful.
I just cooked the broad bean and dill pesto (refreshing with the zing of lemon), the aubergine dip and the leek and thyme sausages with relish, cheese and leek 'sausages' with a sweet red onion-cranberry relish. It was more a banquet than a simple everyday dinner, we all loved it!
Each recipe is accompanied by a gorgeous picture. The only thing I don't like is the grayish brown colour on the cover ;)
And it's also really cheap! Just try it.

9 Minute Electric Vacuum Food Marinator, As Seen On TV
9 Minute Electric Vacuum Food Marinator, As Seen On TV

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic or science? It works!, 5 Oct 2009
I really like to eat marinated food, marinating makes it so easy to create new flavours for old staples, and it has the advantage of being so easy.
However most of the time you can't just leave the food in the marinade for half an hour, you need to plan ahead and leave it for 4-5 hours or even overnight. Sometimes I browsed through my cookbooks, found a new recipe I wanted to try, but then I realized it needed marinating for 4-5 hours and it was already too late, so I had to skip it.

Then I came across the 9 Minute Marinator. At first I thought it was just an empty claim they made, how could it be that just 9 minutes would be enough to give you the taste of long marinated food? The pseudo scientific explanations somehow never convince me completely, and the over eager people in the infomercial are well... just that, overeager to sell their stuff. But I was curious. And I really wanted it too work as they promised, it would be so good!

After reading some positive (independent) reviews, I decided to give this gadget a try. What a surprise! It really does what they say.

It is really easy to use: you just put the marinade and the food in the container -which is quite big and can be filled with up to 2.25 kg food - you close the lid, fit the pump on top of the lid and pump at least 12 times to suck out the air. The container is now sealed and you position it on the electronic base and press the start button; a small electric motor will make the container turn and thus distribute the marinade evenly, after 9 minutes it stops, but you can stop it earlier if you think it's enough (especially for fish), or you can start it again if you think you need more time. You let some air in through the top seal and can now cook you food. The tenderising plate can be removed if you are marinating delicate food, such as fish or veggies. It is just so easy.

The first time I tried it, I made a sort of experiment: I put half a chicken breast in half the marinade for three hours and the remaining half in the remaining marinade in the device for 9 minutes. When I cooked them they didn't taste exactly the same, but they were both really flavourful and the Marinator one was even more tender!

I have used it for salmon, vegetables, whole pork fillet, chicken... everything comes out really well marinated and tender in just about no time! It's so convenient and I am so happy I bought it. Next thing I want to try is a whole chicken.

Clean up is really easy too: the container and the tenderising plate are dishwasher safe, but it's better to wash the lid, the vacuum seal and the pump by hand. The base can be wiped with a damp cloth. When everything is dry you can fold the base and store it in the container together with the pump and the tenderising plate. Neat!

I am really positively surprised by this gadget. It makes cooking on a whim so much easier. Great!

200 Chicken Dishes: Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook: 200 Chicken Recipes
200 Chicken Dishes: Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook: 200 Chicken Recipes
by Sara Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars Chicken chicken chicken!, 24 Sep 2009
Disclaimer: It's not my fault if this review is featured on the pages of different books of the Colour Cookbook series. I wrote it for the Chicken one.

My family and I love eating chicken, it's just so versatile, you can cook it in a thousand different ways and it's always tasty! Just looking at the cover I knew I had to have this book, and I am really happy I bought it! It's a good quality paperback, with a nice "coarse" textured cover. It has a handy format for the kitchen and the layout is very clear and easy to follow.

Let's make things clear, the book doesn't contain two hundred recipes, but more or less one hundred, each with variations and side-dish suggestions. The variations however are always very different from the original recipe, usually the only thing they have in common is the cooking method, so the result is completely different flavour-wise and well deserves its recipe-status, it's not just something they added on second thought just to fill up the page.
Each recipe (+variation or side-dish) covers one page and is gorgeously pictured on the opposite page. They look sooo nice, you'd like to try everything at once!
The book is conveniently divided into chapters for Light Lunches, Easy Suppers, Food for Friends, Favourite Roasts, Two Meals From One sandwiched between the comprehensive introduction and the clear index.
The recipes draw inspiration from a variety of styles: Mediterranean, Italian, Mexican, Indian, Japanese and also traditional British fare, but there are many fusion dishes, not belonging to any specific culture, being just tasty!

They are all quite easy to make and pretty fast, good for weeknights, when you certainly don't have much time, a part from the roasts, which take longer, but don't need attendance all the time. But, despite being so easy, many are also worth considering if you are entertaining some friends.
You will not need hundreds of ingredients, nor will they be hard to locate, most of the time you will already have them around, and the results are well worth the (small) effort to cook on weeknights. It's so gratifying to eat something nice after a long day :)

Some examples we especially appreciated:

Sherried Chicken Strogonoff (30 min. from start to finish, including cutting up the breasts and onions)
Chicken Maryland & Banana Fritters (in about one hour you'll have crunchy and tasty fried chicken, a corn-bell pepper side-dish and the nice and spicy banana pancakes)
Chicken Tikka Masala
Polenta Crusted Chicken Strips
Sticky Mustard Chicken and Potatoes
Catalan Chicken and Normandy Chicken
Griddled Chicken Fajitas
Griddled Chicken and Fennel Pockets
Teriyaki Chicken with Three Seeds (it's really good, slightly tangy and with the crunch and flavour of sesame, pumpkin and sunflower seeds)
Roast Chicken with Lemon Baste
Italian Pesto Chicken Burgers

Feeling hungry already? You should see the pictures. You should feel the wonderful smell rising from the pan... Really a great little book! As the others in the series ;)I think I'm off getting some chicken!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 7, 2009 2:36 AM BST

Imperia Italian Gnocchi Attachment
Imperia Italian Gnocchi Attachment

4.0 out of 5 stars Thousand pasta shapes!, 31 May 2008
I have owned this attachment for years, even if I don't use it as often as I would like, but, as for everybody, time is tight! However I find that it works fine, making perfect cavatelli and gnocchetti sardi using the flavoured dough that I make. You just knead the dough a bit on the largest setting of the main machine, then shape it into a rope and pass it slowly into one of the three openings in the attachment according to which kind of pasta you want to make. And that's it. Just let it dry a bit, or freeze it. As with the main pasta machine, you mustn't wash the attachment with water, just wait for the dough to dry and take it or brush it away.
I think the description is misleading, because it makes you think you are going to receive the pasta cutter, which I didn't get, and, since the other reviewer didn't get it either, I guess it's not supplied, but you really don't need it, a simple pasta cutter will do.
You don't absolutely need this, but it's fun!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 4, 2008 11:05 AM BST

Morphy Richards Food Fusion 48953 Blender, Stainless Steel
Morphy Richards Food Fusion 48953 Blender, Stainless Steel

4.0 out of 5 stars I think it's great., 20 May 2008
I don't agree with the other reviewer saying that this blender doesn't work and just shreds; maybe he just got a faulty item, but I'm very happy with mine: it makes wonderful smoothies and shakes, it blends soup, and I can make hummous and other dips in it, all with fine results. It can also crush ice and I can make Pina Colada! Cleanup is a snap (most of the times), as you just need to put some warm water, add a bit of dish soap in it and whizz it for a few seconds on Pulse, rinse it and there you are. Even when I have to use a sponge it is not too difficult, as I can reach right under the blades quite easily.
The blender is easy to assemble and looks great on the counter. It is sturdy and doen't jump around when working and it has a clever cord and plug storage facility, which minimizes clutter and I really like the glass jug, even if it's a bit heavy.
All in all a great purchase for the price.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 31, 2011 5:06 PM BST

Biggest Book of Cookies: 475 All-time Favorites (Better Homes & Gardens)
Biggest Book of Cookies: 475 All-time Favorites (Better Homes & Gardens)
by "
Edition: Plastic Comb

5.0 out of 5 stars Cookies cookies cookies, 1 Nov 2007
I like to try new recipes as well as going back to the old staples and I like to browse through cookbooks and I really could do nothing to stop me buying this "Better Homes & Gardens BIGGEST BOOK OF COOKIES", 475 All-Time Favorites.

The cover sports an old-fashioned drawing of cookie tools together with a plateful of cookies and I have to admit that I thought it pretty uninspiring and slightly kitschy, but then I read the blurb on the back cover:

"SATISFY YOUR COOKIE CRAVINGS!

Whether you like yours dropped, rolled, shaped, or sliced; chock-full of chocolate and nuts; or plain and simple, here are the 475 recipes to keep your cookie jar full. Lift the lid on the "Biggest Book of Cookies" and you'll find:

* 80 tips for making home made cookies better than any you can buy
* Easy-to-follow methods for making, baking, and decorating cookies, bars, and brownies
* Holiday cookies highlighted with a symbol
* Two indexes: A comprehensive one plus a listing of recipes especially for the holidays
* More than 100 beautiful full-color photographs"

All this, plus the 475 promised recipes lured me and I had a look. The layout is very basic and uncluttered, big titles in brown, a brief description of the cookie in bold print, then ingredients on one side of the page and the recipe on the other; at the bottom, storage suggestions and informative boxes about special ingredients or procedures. If the recipe is suitable for holiday baking, there are holly leaves and the print "holiday treat" above the title.

The chapters are clearly divided by a brown page with the chapter title and filigree dots.
There is an informative introduction about cookie making with an interesting "Cookie Doctor" troubleshooting section.

Then Sweet Spoonfuls, where you have (no need to say that, I know) dropped cookies, such as Chocolate Chips Cookies, Favorite Oatmeal Cookies, featuring rolled oats and oat flour together with walnuts and chocolate covered raisins (delicious!), Tropical Jumbles with Macadamia nuts, coconut, dried pineapple, dried papaya or mango, dried banana chips and covered with citrus icing, the classic Florentines, Almonds Sweets covered with almond icing (MMM!), Lemon Drops, Cashew Meringues, and a lot more.

Heavenly Hand-Shaped Cookies featuring Peanut Butter Cookies, Chocolate Crinkles, Chocolate-Covered Cherry Cookies, chocolate cookies with a whole maraschino cherry inside frosted with a maraschino syrup-chocolate frosting before baking them (!), Nutty Crescents, Pecan Balls, Orange Snowballs, with orange peel both inside ad outside, Coffee Bean Cookies for the coffee addict, they contain the magic drink and are shaped like the actual beans, the refreshing Buttery Mint Cookies, and so forth.

Molded and Pressed Shapes. Almond Cream Spritz, well, I love almonds and these cream cheese cookies are so easy to make and soooo good that they have become real favourites; classic Pecan Tassies, the little frangipane-like Apricot-Almond Tarts, the easy Spicy Molasses Waffle Squares and a lot of variations on madeleines and pizzelle.

Slices of delight. These are icebox cookies, the easy ones you can make and store in the freezer to have always something ready to bake, I really love their convenience! The sweet and slightly hot Pfeffernuesse from Germany that contain black pepper besides the traditional cinnamon, cardamom and allspice; the Italian Fig Spirals, a bit fiddly to make with their sticky dried fig filling, but well worth the effort; the delicate and delicious Citrus Cheesecake Slices with their graham cracker-nut crust; the sophisticated Lemon and Poppy Seed Slices; the more-ish Chocolate-Coconut Spirals, a chocolate dough filled with cream cheese, coconut and nuts; plus a series of variations on biscotti, lemon-pistachio, aniseed, maple-pecan and more.

Rolling Pin Favorites. I have to admit that I never have the time to make rolled cookies, so I haven't tried any of those yet, but the pictures look really interesting, especially the shortbread variations.

Fabulous Filled Cookies. The funny and quite true-to-life Acorns were a big hit, delicious too! The Halloween treat Pumpkin Patch Cookies were not too difficult, just an orange pressed cookie with chocolate frosting filling and jelly bean "stem", but quite impressive; I love citrus fruits and I love pistachios, so I couldn't help liking Lime Sandwich Cookies, with their lime-pistachio filling.

Simple Shortcuts. This is a chapter for the really busy cook: it contains all the recipes using some kind of shortcut, be it refrigerated cookie dough, frozen puff pastry or simply a no-cook cookie recipe. I cannot tell much about this chapter as I haven't tried anything from here yet.

Best Bars and Brownies. Who doesn't love brownies of some kind? And who doesn't love the convenience of pouring the batter in a baking tin and cutting the cookies afterwards? Try Oatmeal-Caramel Bars pretending they are healthy (but so good!), or Double-Cherry Streusel Bars, coated with a chocolate glaze, or the creamy and tart Lemon Bars Deluxe, and the countless variations on brownies and blondies.

Scattered throughout there are groups of photograph pages which will make you willing to run to the kitchen and bake straight away! They are actually gorgeous, even if they are really few compared to the number of recipes and this is a bit of a drawback.

MY EXPERIENCE. I was a bit unsure at the beginning as I couldn't believe so many recipes gathered together could be both original and good, but I had to change my mind after I tried some. All of them have been a great success, and relatively easy to make. For some things I will stick to my old recipes (Gingerbread etc.) for I think they are really the best ones I can get for my taste, but I found a lot of new and interesting recipes I have added to my collection, for they are both convenient (being easy to make with easy to find ingredients) and delicious. Some are so good and different that I actually get requests: "When are you going to make the cheesecake cookies? They were so good" or "When you make those lemon bars, do you mind giving me some? I loved them". It is really flattering and quite easy to achieve.

Small Food: Snack-Sized Bites to Share with Friends (Chunky Food series) (Cookery)
by Murdoch Books

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't call it small!, 8 July 2004
It's very simple: I can't resist finger food, nibbles and the like. When I am confronted with a huge plate of something I feel overwhelmed, so I definitely prefer small bites.
This book has got what I need: 200 recipes for gorgeous nibbles and small bites that will make you drool as you flip through the pages.
The book has a strange "chunky" format, it looks a bit like a brick and it sticks to the essential, so there is no introduction, no glossary, no introductory chit chat about the recipes, BUT there is a gorgeous picture facing each recipe and the more exotic ingredients are explained in notes. You open the book and you find the table of contents (nibbles, cold, hot, sweet and the index) and then, straight away, the first recipe.
Some of the recipes are well known like the one for hummous, tapenade, aioli, guacamole and some others, but I found a number of interesting original ones and new twists on something familiar. I'm really happy I found the recipe for Bitterballen (a Dutch appetizer), which I had been looking for for a while. I haven't tried it yet, but it seems similar to the one I tasted. What I have tried is the Hot Crab and Lemon Dip, and we all loved it! Sinfully rich with crab, shallots and cheese melting together, mmmm...
And the Herbed Lavash, easy and so tasty that you can't stop eating it; and the Herb Pikelets with Pear and Blue Cheese Topping, small herbed pancakes that contrast beautifully with creaminess of the blue cheese topping and the crunchy sweetness of the pears. And the cute mini frittatas baked in muffin tins: they have a very professional look and taste divine.
There is something to suit every occasion, from the posh oysters with lemon herb dressing and mushroom paté on Melba toasts, to the homey Mexican bites and small salmon-lemon cakes, from the exotic sesame and wasabi-crusted tuna cubes and Thai beef salad rice paper rolls, to the vegetarian vegetable shapes with crème fraîche and fried leek (really stylish) and lentil patties with cumin skordalia.
I haven't tried them yet, but the sit high on my list of plates to try.
The recipes are well laid out: one recipe per page, ingredients on one side and clear, step-by-step instruction on the other, on the opposite page there is a picture of you are supposed to get.
In short, this is a simple, down-to-earth guide to wonderful food, both for special occasions and for everyday treats. Yum!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5