Profile for Mwara Kungu > Reviews

Content by Mwara Kungu

Mwara Kungu "WordyShopper" (London, UK)

Relationsh*t. Twenty years of awkward situations and questionable choices.
Relationsh*t. Twenty years of awkward situations and questionable choices.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ouch!!!! And still standing?, 19 May 2012
This is just hysterical! Makes my life look normal. Some of those experiences were such narrow escapes you either have to laugh or cry. A relief to find that anyone can go through such astoundingly horrible partners both male & female & still come out with a sense of humour.

Why Love Matters: How Affection Shapes a Baby's Brain
Why Love Matters: How Affection Shapes a Baby's Brain
by Sue Gerhardt

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Reassurance, 20 Nov. 2011
This book is great supportive reading for anyone who doubts themselves & their parenting styles, it lent me moral fibre. I had to stand up for myself against my mothers' and grandmothers' styles which were very much 'children should not be a nuisance to adults' and my kids are six and four now, so far I like my results and am still able to provide boundaries. I found it very reassuring to know there was an effect on some part of the brain going on, I wasn't just being a wuss. I must say I found the services of a good osteopath invaluable, hard to carry your kids about in the post-pregnancy years without damaging yourself else. It's not a fast read, 'love' is not a very scientific word and when you have to back up every statement with pages of studies it is very dense. But I'm SO glad someone did that work.

James Martin Mini Grinder ZX595 150 Watt, Stainless Steel
James Martin Mini Grinder ZX595 150 Watt, Stainless Steel

2.0 out of 5 stars Broke too soon, 17 Nov. 2008
Looked smart & reliable, worked great, a lovely birthday present. My first ever coffee grinder and it gave me a taste for the real thing so the coffee must have been fine - but it broke down 3 months in! I didn't use it more than once or twice a week, it certainly wasn't overwork. Now have to buy another, so I guess it did some manufacturer some good by getting me hooked, but I'll never buy wahl again.

The King's Singers
The King's Singers
Offered by Qoolist

5.0 out of 5 stars Lush vocals, 7 May 2004
This review is from: The King's Singers (Audio CD)
This is an album of truly empathic music, very beautiful, very varied, haunting. The a cappela voices of these classical cambridge boys applied to the great anthems of pop are delightful in the extreme; their takes on beatles classics and the way they mix and match makes for very enjoyable listening. one of those albums one plays so often one ends up singing along.

War is a Force That Gives Us Meaning
War is a Force That Gives Us Meaning
by Chris Hedges

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 8 Mar. 2004
A writer to keep track of, he has good ideas and analyses, but this book is mainly a way for him to work things through, and since he hasn't finished working them through yet there are no actual conclusions drawn.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 8, 2011 11:55 AM BST

HP ScanJet 3570c
HP ScanJet 3570c

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely!, 8 Mar. 2004
This review is from: HP ScanJet 3570c (Electronics)
A lovely scanner, works with both mac OsX and pc like a dream, after I was told such could not be found!

Of Water and the Spirit: Ritual, Magic, and Initiation in the Life of an African Shaman (Arkana)
by Malidoma Patrice Some'

4.0 out of 5 stars challenge, 8 Mar. 2004
This book is hard to battle through, because its message is so difficult to ignore and to digest. I feel its power. The beginning is easier, it is mostly an interesting story, but the power of African spirituality is so unflinchingly described and so simply held as true that sometimes you have to take a rest just so your mind can grapple with the new ground. Essential reading for the grown up, but we are not that many.

Sailing (Contemporary American Fiction)
Sailing (Contemporary American Fiction)
by Susan Kenney

5.0 out of 5 stars The best ever definition, 8 Mar. 2004
I have read thousands of novels in the last 20 years; once I averaged 8 to 10 a week. I have never seen love described like this. This story is the one I always tell as the last word in the perfect definition of love, and of what our duties are to those whom we love and who love us. So intense a book as this is hard to describe. It grips you, draws you into that total, brilliant experience of life in shards of radiance that the soon to die and to lose experience.

Enzso
Enzso
Offered by hifi-media-store

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting, 30 Aug. 2002
This review is from: Enzso (Audio CD)
Remarkable collection of soft rock songs scored for a symphony orchestra. Surging melodies and haunting counterpoints, with vocalists in a huge variety of ranges. Gets better with each listening. Buy it! Must have.