Profile for A. Townsend > Reviews

Content by A. Townsend

A. Townsend (UK)

Vampires - The Occult Truth (Llewellyn truth about series)
Vampires - The Occult Truth (Llewellyn truth about series)
by Konstantinos
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for helping protect yourself from psychic vampires., 13 Feb 2008
A friend of mine kept having psychic vampire attacks very frequently. So I bought this book in order to learn more about these vampires, and how to protect myself and my friend from them.
This book was very helpful. The first few chapters are simply folklore, but the folklore is quite interesting too. Later in the book it explains real vampire, people who believe they are vampires, dangers of drinking blood, intentional psychic vampire, unintentional psychic vampires, energy, and so on. This book is better left for occultists, so if you are afraid of witchcraft, and call it Satanism, then I suggest you read a book entitled `Christian Mythology'
This book is good for separating fact from fiction, and Konstantinos uses humour at times, which is always perfect for a book on such a wonderfully morbid topic.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Book 1)
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Book 1)
by J. K. Rowling

1.0 out of 5 stars Pathetic and poorly written., 12 Feb 2008
I understand J.K Rowling wanted to write a book for children of the age 8-12, but truly by the words and style of Mrs. Rowling, I would think her readers would be aged 5-7.
Truly a pathetic book, and very unoriginal. The words and names Mrs. Rowling used are all just things found in England (shops, T.V shows characters, food,) the things that happen are all from old folklore including all the mythical creatures, and no character seems to have his or her own personality. I believe that J.K Rowling would still be writing on napkins in cafes if it weren't for the first movie.
Rowling uses things words like Put-outer and such.
Rowling compares herself to such masters such as Tolkien and Lewis, yet I think comparing her to Dr. Suess is an honour for someone as incompetent as her.
Many children now read this simple book because their friends do, and most modern children just go with the flow, this became a very popular book for the children who have still not discovered classic literature.
If you are my age, fourteen, I would suggest Poe, Shelley, Rossetti, Stoker, or any other classic literature writer.
If you are younger than I, you would enjoy Lemony Snicket, Mark Twain, Lewis, Tolkien, and most Victorian and Edwardian poets etc.
The one good point of this pathetic book is that Rowling does not portray witches as Satanists.
I would give this book a zero out of five if I could.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 14, 2009 7:54 PM BST

Dracula (Wordsworth Classics)
Dracula (Wordsworth Classics)
by Bram Stoker
Price: 1.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Gothic novel yet written., 12 Feb 2008
For he who has seen the movies, yet never read the novel, I truly pity that person. The 1931 movie was quite a disgrace to the novel, and although I am certain that Stoker is not rolling in his grave ever since the early thirties, I am sure that the novel is nothing like any of the many movies you might have seen.
Written in 1897 by one of the greatest authors, Dracula is a timeless masterpiece that can only be enjoyed to its maximum when read, and not listened to by another reader (i.e. audiobook etc.)
Each character, from John, Lucy, Jonathan, Van Helsing, and the many other characters have their own personalities entirely, and each have their own thoughts.
The book is written as a collection of each character's journal entries, (other than Dracula and Reinfield's,) and begins much more interestingly than any movie.
For the most part, I think the reader should know that it was Jonathan Harker who first went to see Dracula, not Reinfield as the 1931 movie portrays.
Dracula did not actually wear a cape in the book, but that does not mean he wasn't as Gothic as the movies portray.
One must wonder how vampires are associated with erotica in modern times, for the book did not contain any such. I presume that idea only came from the head of one Ann Rice.
One might start reading the book being on Dracula's side, and hoping Dracula will win in the end, but by the time you are on the last few chapters you will despise Dracula.
Stoker knew how to make anything sound morbid and frightening; snow, for example, in this novel, like in the short story `Dracula's guest' also by Stoker, seemed to get the reader into a feeling of terror and clusterphobia.
I had read this novel for five hours strait without knowing the exact hour, and the whole time I had not one dull moment.
Of the many novels I have read, I think few compare to the brilliancy of this particular one.
When one is done with this book, they will ask themselves `is this story fiction, or not? It seemed so real, so sorrowful, and so macabre.'
Stoker obviously did much research on many things such as zoophugus' and such.
A great novel by a great author.
Recommended for fans of Poe, Shelley, Konstantinos, and any Gothic literature admirer.
If you have still not seen any Dracula movie, I suggest read the novel, then watch the movie. You shall probably not enjoy the movie at all after such a great novel.
I give this ten out of five stars.

Dracula's Guest and Other Stories (Wordsworth Mystery & Supernatural)
Dracula's Guest and Other Stories (Wordsworth Mystery & Supernatural)
by Bram Stoker

5.0 out of 5 stars Matchless for an authentic Dracula admirer., 12 Feb 2008
I must admit I was very sorrowful after I had experienced Stoker's unique novel `Dracula' (which is nothing like the ridiculous movies we see on television.) I had wanted more from the novel. True the book was over three hundred pages of sorrow, excitement, joy and above all; terror, but I needed more.
So one can just imagine how truly contented I was to discover this book, and I must say that `Dracula's guest' was a phenomenal short story by Bram Stoker. You are immediately taken into the story, and the narration makes you feel as though you are actually there. The writing characteristic of Stoker makes the entire incident sound so genuine, and then the shock at the end of the story, getting the letter from Dracula. One who never read the novel might not appreciate this as I do, but any true Gothic literature admirer will love this story, alongside many other tales. In this book you shall see how Stoker's characters all have different personalities, all use different words, and in some stories such as `The gypsy's prophecy' you shall see how Stoker startles the reader with such an incredible turn of events at the end of the tale.
I would highly recommend you buy this and share it with your friends (if you are lucky enough to have any)
Perfect for a quick read (some tales are only ten pages), or for a longer one, curled up in an armchair.
Well worth every penny, and defiantly worth reading.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 1, 2012 11:39 AM BST

The Craft: A Witch's Book of Shadows
The Craft: A Witch's Book of Shadows
by Dorothy Morrison
Price: 10.85

3.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for beginners, 12 Feb 2008
Of all the books on wicca I have read, I would say that this one is defiantly an advantage for a beginner, or for a Christian who does not perceive that wiccans and Neo-Pagans are simply a peaceful race who worship nature.
Dorothy seems to compare Christianity to wicca intensely at the start of this book, and soon after the first chapter has many ways to improve your life. This book explains why good things happen to Christians who ask for it, how real magick works, and how you can do your own magick.
Note that if you are not a beginner, I would highly recommend another book for someone of your level, and if you are a beginner, I would rather recommend a book entitled "Inner Magic" by Ann Marie Gallagher.
If you are annoyed of the `happy' or `fluffy bunny' side of wicca and paganism, I suggest you get any book by my favorite dark neo-pagan, Konstantinos.

The Crimson Blind and Other Ghost Stories (Wordsworth Mystery & Supernatural) (Tales of Mystery & the Supernatural)
by Mrs H.D. Everett
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very imaginative and creative., 11 Feb 2008
Contrary to several ghost tales I have read, 'The Death Mask' actually sounded greatly believable. Although some people may deem the ending incomplete, the truth is that here one can see how Mrs. Everett once again startled the reader. We are left thinking of how sorrowful the remainder of the character's existence shall be after this. From the start of the story the reader is snatched into the theme, and cannot put the book down thereafter. Through the entire story the reader's blood runs cold, and hair stands on ends. A perfect narrative by a perfect author, and a perfect addition for a Gothic literature collector, or a Mrs Everett fan.
I give this book five stars, and say the title should not be 'The Crimson Blind and Other Stories' but rather 'The Death Mask and Other Stories'. This book has many short stories of terror and sorrow (208 pages,) and is well worth the money.