Profile for Paul Ganney > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Rediscover(Ed) [Bonus Edition]
Rediscover(Ed) [Bonus Edition]

4.0 out of 5 stars Simply brilliant, 18 May 2014
I loved Axxis in their "Kingdom of the Night" era but lost track of them. Then I heard they were still around and amongst the back-catalogue stuff I'd missed sat this one. Full of covers of songs I grew up with (plus a few I'd never heard of) it was too tempting to resist, so I didn't.

It's simply wonderful. Admit it, you've always wanted to hear "Ma Baker" done by a top-notch metal band. And if you've not, then you should do. Some tracks, like "Owner of a Lonely Heart", don't really add much to the original, but others, like "Stayin' Alive" are fabulous. I wonder if they could be persuaded to do a "part 2"?

Clearlight Symphony
Clearlight Symphony

3.0 out of 5 stars A sign of the times, 26 April 2014
This review is from: Clearlight Symphony (MP3 Download)
I bought the Virgin sampler "V" in the 1970s which contained an excerpt from this album (LP in those days), which I remembered quite liking, so I bought this MP3. It's a reminder of the kind of music that was around in those days, but does serve to show why Tubular Bells was such a massive hit (and this wasn't). There are ideas and motifs, but not really enough and at times it seems like the jazz influences have sent everyone off in different directions. It was nice to hear it in full, but I'm not sure how often I'll do so again.

Bose ® Ear Cushion Kit for QuietComfort ® 2
Bose ® Ear Cushion Kit for QuietComfort ® 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathes new life into old headphones, 6 Mar 2014
Very easy to fit, with clear instructions. My old headphones were starting to get tatty and the cloth had come loose. Much cheaper than a new set of phones. Not much else to say, really.

Fifty Sheds of Grey: Erotica for the not-too-modern male
Fifty Sheds of Grey: Erotica for the not-too-modern male

5.0 out of 5 stars Verry funny in a few words, 12 Jan 2014
This started life on Twitter (hence the brevity) and you may well have read many of these one-liners there. They're still very funny. It's not a straight parody - there is absolutely no need to have read the "50 shades" book to understand this, it stands alone (much like a shed). If you've not read it, buy it, it's that funny.

A Horse with No Name
A Horse with No Name

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic head-filler, 26 Oct 2013
Classic song - I was amazed to discover I didn't have this in my collection, so I remedied that. Been singing it ever since.

Northern Lights
Northern Lights

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 26 Oct 2013
This review is from: Northern Lights (MP3 Download)
Classic 70s prog/pop - I was amazed to discover I didn't have this in my collection, so I remedied that.

Suddenly You Love Me (1968 Recording)
Suddenly You Love Me (1968 Recording)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent 60s classic, 26 Oct 2013
Classic 60s pop - I was amazed to discover I didn't have this in my collection, so I remedied that.

I Got You
I Got You

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 26 Oct 2013
This review is from: I Got You (MP3 Download)
Classic 80s electronica - I was amazed to discover I didn't have this in my collection, so I remedied that.

Dancer And The Moon
Dancer And The Moon

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good - but not a classic, 3 Aug 2013
This review is from: Dancer And The Moon (Audio CD)
If you like Blackmore's Night then you will like this. If you don't, then it won't change your mind - with one possible exception. This album carries on from where others have left off - a selection of tracks that showcase both Blackmore's playing and Night's singing. They're both very very good at what they do. There's not a duff track here, but likewise nothing that soars so high as to make you want to play it to everyone you know. Except, maybe, "Carry On... Jon" which starts as a guitar solo (reminiscent of "The Loner" by Gary Moore) and moves into an extended organ solo in the style of the late Jon Lord (intentionally, as the sleeve notes indicate). This is the track I've played the most from this CD. Other highlights include the title track and "Somewhere Over the Sea".

Theme 1 (2009 - Remaster)
Theme 1 (2009 - Remaster)

5.0 out of 5 stars You know this track, 15 July 2013
A much-covered classic (and possibly the only Van Der Graaf Generator track people actually do know) all I had was Cozy Powell's cover version. Glad to add the superior original to my collection.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3