Profile for tigerlily > Reviews

Italian Food
Italian Food
by Elizabeth David

5.0 out of 5 stars Italian food by Elizabeth David, 13 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Italian Food (Paperback)
I was ashamed to call myself a cook without an Elizabeth David in my collection. Now I have three books and Italian food was the first. I quote; "In early 1950s David set out for Italy determined to show a ration weary British public that Italian food was more than spaghetti in tomato sauce."
If you think you already know ALL about Italian food, try this, you will learn a lot more. I read this while watching "Two Greedy Italian's" on TV. The two Italian chefs travelled all around Italy, learning and demonstrating the recipes. I fell in love with Italy, its people and food. Her Writing(David's) is inspirational. With a handful of this or a touch of that.(There are many that copy her style these days)Without the conventional list of ingredients and weights given, you are invited to cook these dishes using your own preferences and taste to guide you. Just by reading this book you will learn a lot more about food. And will remind you of a lot you have forgetten. Great bedtime reading, if you can sleep without running down stairs to ransack the fridge!
The other books by David in my collection are "French Provincial Cooking" This is considered to be the crowning acheivement of David's career, gathered from great chefs as well as well as local cooks, and one of the finest bibliographies of good cookery books ever compiled. And,"Mediterranean food and other writings." Now I just need the one named 'Summer Cooking,' which I hope will be ordered next week, and I'm all set.
Elizabeth David has led the way in this style of cooking. Eat your heart out Delia Smith! All of these books are from Amazon. Thanks for reading, enjoy your meals.