Profile for User201202 > Reviews

Aging Well: Guideposts to a Happier Life
Aging Well: Guideposts to a Happier Life
by George E. Vaillant

1.0 out of 5 stars Not so surprising, 15 Jun. 2015
The full title of this book is "Aging well: Surprising Guideposts to a Happier Life". But to me the "guideposts" don't seem surprising, and mostly can't be used as "guideposts", since most of them are outside the individual's control.

Don't smoke
Don't drink much alcohol
Be emotionally mature
Be happily married
Have a BMI between 21 - 29
Exercise regularly
Have a good education
Don't get diagnosed with depression
Have rich parents
Get born with a stable temperament
Have a "warm" childhood
Have long- lived ancestors

Easy peasy. I don't think. However, the book is interesting, and worth a read. Just don't expect to learn anything you didn't basically know before.

Edit. I've downgraded the rating to one star because it has been pointed out to me that this is the third book this author has written on this subject (the Grant study). Think he might have a bee in his bonnet about what conclusions should be drawn from the data from this study, and how the data should shape health policy.

You Don't Look Like Anyone I Know
You Don't Look Like Anyone I Know
by Heather Sellers

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and moving account, 3 April 2015
Glad I read this book. I think a good editor would have cut out a lot of the detail about the writer's traumatic childhood, but I was moved by the underlying story of how she eventually came to understand what was wrong with her (and understand that it didn't mean she was insane).

Anyone looking for insights into prosopagnosia might like to check out the website of Face Blind UK (http://www.faceblind.org.uk/) for further information.

Slight Second Single Wool Filled 100% Cotton Cover Mattress protector - Department Store Quality

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfactory, 6 Mar. 2015
Good value. It adds a bit to warmth and comfort, which is all you can reasonably expect from a mattress protector.

De'Longhi EC.680.M Premium Pump Coffee Machine, 15 Bar - Metal
De'Longhi EC.680.M Premium Pump Coffee Machine, 15 Bar - Metal

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice coffee machine, quick and easy for a reasonable price, 15 Jan. 2015
I've been using this machine for a couple of months, and so far I'm quite pleased with it. I found it quite straightforward to use, right from the start, and haven't run into any significant snags. However, I use it only for making one double-shot espresso at a time - I never use the milk-foamer, and I haven't found it necessary to alter the programming. So I'm really only using a limited range of the machine's functionality. Within that range, it's very satisfactory.

I agree with some of the criticisms of the basket arrangement. Previous deLonghi models I've owned have had a simple device, with the basket slipping easily into the handle and all-too-easily slipping out again into the bin if you forgot to make use of the retaining lever. This model tries to solve that (to me very minor) problem: springs hold the basket in place. So no more risk of throwing out the basket, but the downside is that it's now rather troublesome to remove, and I predict the springs will eventually fail. Never mind. As a collateral benefit, the new basket is larger and I can squeeze in more coffee.

One reviewer complained of an unreliable on/off switch. That isn't a problem at all, on my machine. I wonder if the user might have been confused by the slight delay between the pressing of the switch and the feedback from the front-panel lights. This delay is quite normal for a computerized device and does not indicate a problem.

All-in-all, a very satisfactory purchase - so far.

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep
by S J Watson

1.0 out of 5 stars Unconvincing formulaic creative-writing school product, 15 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
Really disliked this book. I didn't find the characters or the plot convincing, and I hated this author's idea of how a woman thinks. Guess what Mr Watson, even a woman who's conveniently lost her memory doesn't have to rediscover her private parts. "Duh...this must be my clitoris.." Give me a break!

In the back of the paperback there's a note: ""In 2009 ... [the author] was accepted into ... a programme that covers all aspects of the novel-writing process. Before I Go To Sleep is the result."

And that's just how it reads. Like writing-by-numbers, or a novel written by a buggy Android app.

The Courage To Heal: A Guide For Women Survivors Of Child Sexual Abuse
The Courage To Heal: A Guide For Women Survivors Of Child Sexual Abuse
by Ellen Bass & Laura Davis

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing., 8 Dec. 2014
Many readers have found this book helpful. Others, like me, may be put off by the lack of solid evidence to substantiate the very sweeping claims about the consequences of experiencing childhood sexual abuse.

The authors seem to reason thus: if victims of childhood sexual abuse describe certain emotional problems, all women who have similar emotional problems "must have" been abused in childhood.

This is unreasonable. It's entirely possible that any unhappy childhood experiences (e.g. poverty, divorce, loss of a parent, school bullying, and many others) might result in very similar emotional problems in adulthood. Claiming that these problems can only be due to childhood sexual abuse simply invalidates the felt experience of those with a different kind of past.

Our Ageing Brain
Our Ageing Brain
by André Aleman

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful summary, 26 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Our Ageing Brain (Paperback)
A good summary of current thinking.

For those who found it heavy going, the author has published a sort of simplified commentary on the subject in a series of three articles in the Daily Mail:

Glide From Crest Dental Floss Unflavoured 50m
Glide From Crest Dental Floss Unflavoured 50m

3.0 out of 5 stars Average, 15 Nov. 2014
Tried this after reading such favourable reviews. Can't say I found much difference from other brands of floss

Charles Eames RAR Plastic Rocking Chair - Blue
Charles Eames RAR Plastic Rocking Chair - Blue
Offered by EastWharf

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for rocking a baby to sleep, 15 Nov. 2014
Bought as a gift. Recipients delighted. Intend to take first opportunity to rock my new granddaughter to sleep in same.

Update: have now used for stated purpose. Excellent. Other grandchildren also approve and are now badgering their parents to buy one too.

Unexpected Lessons in Love
Unexpected Lessons in Love
by Bernardine Bishop

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 15 Nov. 2014
Two stars instead of one because I did finish the book. But I agree with the criticisms voiced by other reviewers: it's not well written, the characters are simply not convincing, and the plot is propped up with improbable coincidences. It would never have got out of the slush pile without the puffing from well-known Hampstead pals.

I do have some sympathy with the writer's experience of bowel cancer, having been there myself. I just don't think it works to try to turn what's essentially an exercise in self-therapy into a novel. Write it down, by all means, and reconstruct the experience however you like. Once you've finished with it, throw it away. It's served its purpose.

Anyone recently diagnosed with bowel cancer, who may be wondering what it's like to live with a colostomy, would do much better to subscribe to "Roar", the magazine published by the St Marks colostomy-owners group. Really useful articles, and very readable.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4