Profile for M. SMITH > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Samsung U28D590D 28 inch Ultra HDMI Monitor
Samsung U28D590D 28 inch Ultra HDMI Monitor

3.0 out of 5 stars Still undecided, 28 Aug. 2014
I struggle to decide what to make of this screen. I've owned it for nearly a month now.

The reason I bought it was for the resolution but you can't run your apps that small as you end up with very small text.

The image is much worse than what I've come to expect from glossy panels such as MacBook Pro Retina.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 13, 2014 4:43 PM BST

RHA MA450i Noise Isolating In Ear Earphones with Remote and Microphone - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful design - awful implementation - Broke in 6 months, 16 Mar. 2014
I chose to spend more on these headphones looking for superior sound and build quality.

Other reviews also mention the "rub" but I bought at an airport without the luxury of reviews.

Basically the cable is braided, which according to the box "reduces tangling and prolongs cable life". What this really means is that if you slightly move while wearing these headphones they will rub on your clothes or anything else around and send a grating noise right into your head. This noise is louder than my iphone on 50% volume. This makes them impossible for normal headphone use - such as walking, gym, exercise, or moving in general, (often even breathing would cause the rub).

After using them very infrequently over the past 6 months the left ear has now broken.

I looked into the 3 year guarantee on the RHA website, which says I have to pay for the return postage, which should be sent recorded delivery. I have emailed them but it isn't worth the time or effort to send them back for a replacement and have just ordered a new different set from amazon.

In summary, having owned these headphones I will not pay £2.50 postage for a replacement pair, and have just ordered some new £10 headphones instead.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 25, 2014 2:04 PM BST

Containment Failure (Dylan Kane #2) (Special Agent Dylan Kane Thrillers)
Containment Failure (Dylan Kane #2) (Special Agent Dylan Kane Thrillers)

2.0 out of 5 stars Hasn't been checked or edited, 1 Sept. 2013
I'm really surprised that none of the other reviews here or amazon.com mention the awful spelling mistakes, makes me wonder if they are real. This book doesn't seem to have been proof read with lines such as 'she sucked in a long breath threw her nose'. I would expect better quality from a £5 book.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 14, 2013 9:45 PM BST

The Basics of Digital Forensics: The Primer for Getting Started in Digital Forensics
by John Sammons

5.0 out of 5 stars Fundamentals, 15 Mar. 2013
This will help you identify core areas you need to learn if you are planning to start out in forensics / computer security.

Minimalism: Live a Meaningful Life
Minimalism: Live a Meaningful Life

4.0 out of 5 stars Grew on me, 19 Jan. 2013
When I first got this book and saw that it was very short I was a little disappointed. Because it was so short I went back to read it a second time and it made a lot more sense. The concepts presented are so fundamental that they are all to easy to miss. Have good relationships, have good health, keep improving yourself, follow your passions and Contribute to society. Im sure the authors could have written lots more to try to justify the book but everything you need to change your life really is that simple.

Cyber Warfare: Techniques, Tactics and Tools for Security Practitioners
Cyber Warfare: Techniques, Tactics and Tools for Security Practitioners
by Jason Andress

1.0 out of 5 stars Yet another book on cyber war, 19 Jan. 2013
The tagline of this book is "Techniques, tactics and Tools for Security Practitioners". This definitely doesn't accurately portray the content. It would appear that they just put words on the front that would entice people. It definitely isnt written for security practitioners. If you know nothing about computer security at all then this would be a reasonably good start toward an introduction to some of the core areas.

The book spends a fair bit of time on different government policy toward cyber attack and defence, without providing any real core facts. It doesn't cover the topic of as well as the similarly named Cyber War by Richard Clarke, which is cheaper and probably a more enjoyable read. Personally i found this as fun to read as a text book but without containing many facts, and definitely none that I will take away with me. I really feel that this book was just to cash in on the term "Cyber Warfare".

50 Rock And Pop Hits For Buskers The Black Book Lc (Music)
50 Rock And Pop Hits For Buskers The Black Book Lc (Music)
by Various

4.0 out of 5 stars bettter than browsing the internet for songs to learn, 21 Nov. 2012
I like having this book around, when im bored of my guitar lessons I open this to a random page and have a go at a song i recognise... I've not spent the time to learn any 1 song start to finish, although the book certainly allows you to do that. I like that the book also shows you finger positions for chords incase you cant remember it. Also it is ring bound so stays open nicely.

To get the most out of this book you will have to be pretty happy with barre chords.

My only criticism is that it would be nice if it also displayed the rhythm to play the chords as i struggle with it.

Data Mining Tools in Action (Toolkits)
Data Mining Tools in Action (Toolkits)
by Christopher Westphal

2.0 out of 5 stars Useful introduction, 21 Nov. 2012
I got this book from the library, for a free introduction it was OK but I wouldn't pay for it.

This book provides a nice overview of the, still relevant, methodologies for data mining engagements. The first third of the book goes through this step by step and includes things such as properly defining the problem to be solved. This is something that I didn't do as I barrelled head first into my first real data mining effort.

The techniques for processing and preparing the data were useful, such as removing data not directly relevant to answering the problem at hand. I personally went to great lengths to gather all the data I could find before starting.

The visual methods for displaying data gives some useful tips for displaying results but this is more for further analysis than as a final product to display to an end user.

The sections which follow are about specific tools from 1999 so I wouldn't even bother looking at them in detail, some graphs did give me a few ideas about modelling.

Overall I look forward to reading new updated books by these authors.

Introduction to Data Mining and its Applications (Studies in Computational Intelligence)
by S. Sumathi

1.0 out of 5 stars Disapointing, 6 Nov. 2012
I decided to read this book as I am relatively new in the field of data mining / manipulation and thought this would give me a good overview. The contents seem promising starting with Data warehousing and OLAP, progressing through Data Mining applications and algorithms and then applying those techniques to different industries including finance and science.

Unfortunately the book is highly academic and often uses 4 words where one will do. Also there are times where the authors dont appear to fully understand the acronyms they are using such as "the GUI user interface". The authors are also not native english speakers and this is apparent throughout the book. Because of these issues I found it extremely hard to read.

Overall the book promises alot within its contents but does not contain any detail needed to implement any techniques. I wouldn't recommend it.

The Shellcoder's Handbook: Discovering and Exploiting Security Holes
The Shellcoder's Handbook: Discovering and Exploiting Security Holes
by Chris Anley

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for reference, not a tutorial, 28 Aug. 2012
This book is a good reference to have to hand if you are trying to write or understand shellcode. Initially it shows the basic stack overflow techniques of old, I worked through these examples using Dam Vulnerable Linux, because every other system will be well protected against these bugs. I got a bit too bogged down with trying to reverse engineer the code and understand every assembly instruction at this point, which i wouldn't recommend.

The book then goes into different operating systems and the basics of how to write shellcode for it. Covering Windows, Linux, Solaris, and OSX. This is where i got the most benefit from understanding why Windows shellcode looks and acts the way it does.
I would advise not to read this book in order but to go directly to the information that you need. It is not a step by step or a training text. Chapter 15 Establishing a Working Environment is a good place to start if you want to get a machine up and running with the relevant tools you require.

This book also helped to make assembler more interesting. Chapter 21, Binary Auditing, shows how various C and C++ statements look once they have been compiled and then decompiled.

One interesting concept briefly mentioned is by tracking advisories and bug reports you may be able to identify patterns of similar bugs or problems occurring.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4