Profile for Elk2011 > Reviews

Content by Elk2011

Elk2011 "Elk2011" (Birmingham, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
In Car Charger - Samsung S5620 Monte, Galaxy S3, SIII Galaxy S, Galaxy S2, Galaxy HD, i9000, Wave, Ace, Galaxy Y, Galaxy Nexus
Offered by Quality Product Online

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless - Doesn't Work Correctly & Then Dies Completely, 6 Aug 2012
I purchased this for my Garmin Nuvi after my original one failed. I should have known that for the price I couldn't expect more than cheap tat which would break within a year.

From day one it never worked correctly, whenever you plug it in to the device it reads it as you connecting it to a computer and so starts "loading" it's computer inferface software which takes several minutes. In order to get it to work as a normal charger you have to quickly turn it off before the software can finish loading, wait about 20 seconds and then it works. Although extremely annoying and despite the fact it added a minute on to the start of every journey, I decided to grin and bear it as the price of the product didn't warrent returning it.

However, today, after less than 4 months of using it maybe 3-4 times a month it has stopped working completely. Now when I plug it in, the "on" light doesn't come on and it does not charge my Garmin.

In summary, do yourself a favour and do not buy this. It might cost a few pounds more to get a branded replacement but at least it works properly and will last more than a handful of uses.

Tower Heist [DVD]
Tower Heist [DVD]
Dvd ~ Eddie Murphy
Offered by DVD Overstocks

2.0 out of 5 stars A Comedy with More Cliches than Laughs, 22 April 2012
This review is from: Tower Heist [DVD] (DVD)
The movie follows several staff members at a high-end apartment complex who are used to seeing to their resident's every-need (even before they know it!). Stiller's character, Josh plays the manager of the team, who finds himself surprised when one of the most pleasant residents (Arthur Shaw) of the complex is put under house arrest for fraudulent investments - something which may have been less shocking had he not invested his staff's pensions with him.

Upon realising his poor judgement, Josh makes some rash decisions and promptly gets himself and his colleague Charlie fired. In order to try and get their money back they embark upon a plan to steal $20m they believe Shaw has hidden in the wall of his apartment and recruit the help of petty thief, "Slide" (Eddie Murphy), bankrupt ex-resident Mr Fitzhugh (Matthew Broderick) and two other hotel staff to pull the heist together.

The plot has potential and the movie is fast paced, but this is where it's plus points ended for me, as there's two major issues with the movie which make everything else not really worth talking about -

1. It's just not funny. I struggle to recall something which actually made me or any member of my family laugh in this movie which surely is a damning point for something intended to be a comedy and with some heavy-weights such as Stiller and Murphy in tow. If you're going to have an unlikely story like this one then really all you have to fall back on is the laughs!

2. The characters were stereotyped to death. In particular Odessa (the maid) and Slide (played by Murphy) were both dreadfully clichéd. I probably could have written their scripts myself and still made them more unique and humorous than they turned out.

I have to be fair and say that this isn't a completely awful movie, the reality is that if you had nothing to do on a long flight and there wasn't anything better, this would probably keep you awake and distracted but given the choice of something better to watch I wouldn't choose this one again.

Puss In Boots [DVD]
Puss In Boots [DVD]
Dvd ~ Antonio Banderas

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Enjoyable but Lacks the Wit of the Shrek Movies, 22 April 2012
This review is from: Puss In Boots [DVD] (DVD)
I was looking forward to this movie, as I'm sure many people were due to my love of the Puss in Boots character in the Shrek movies and of course those same movies set the expectation quite high for something similar from this spin off. Perhaps because of this, the movie didn't quite live up to my expectations - it's not quite at the same level as Shrek on the humour or storyline fronts but none the less it was very enjoyable.

The story follows Puss in Boots on an adventure which sees him team up with his "brother" - Humpty Dumpy (the egg!) and an attractive female cat-thief (Kitty Soft-Paws) in order to find some magic beans, leading them to a lifetime of riches in the form of the eggs laid by the golden goose. During the story there's many flashbacks and references to Puss in Boots' childhood with Humpty which goes a long way to develop his "character" a lot more than we've seen previously.

Of course the story is riddled with familiar fairy-tales / nursery rhymes which make this movie enjoyable for children and adults alike but the main area which lets this movie down in comparison to it's ogre counterparts is the lack of witty humour - yes, there's some very funny bits overall they're less frequent and less intelligent.

The animation is excellent and so is the soundtrack. I also thought the voice selections were well done.

Overall this is a fun movie, certainly one which children of all ages would enjoy but it probably lacks some of the clever wit and puns that we've become used to from the Shrek movies which may leave some people like myself who have worked themselves up into a high expectation of something similar a little disappointing.

Moneyball [DVD] [2011]
Moneyball [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Brad Pitt
Offered by MediaMerchants

2.0 out of 5 stars Only for True Sports Movie Fans or Baseball Fiends, 5 April 2012
This review is from: Moneyball [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
This movie follows Billy Beane, the manager of the mediocre "Oakland A's" baseball team, who after losing some of their star players to larger, more successful teams tries to find replacement players by wheeling and dealing with the managers of the other teams in a complicated business that most probably wouldn't have associated with baseball unless they were ardent fans. This insight into the business world behind baseball, was for me one of the interesting aspects of this movie.

Unfortunately though, there wasn't much more I found interesting. The other highlight was Jonah Hill as a young economist , who I thought did a great job with playing a rather quirky character, which could easily have been rather a dull role.

As to the bad points:

Firstly, I was amazed to find this script was written by Aaron Sorkin whose films I usually enjoy. I found the script to be painstakingly slow and dull, there's moments were you think maybe this is a film written strictly for hardcore baseball fans because I personally struggled to find the inspiring parts others have mentioned. In fact, for the only time in my recent memory, I actually fell asleep watching this movie and had to rewind after a drink and walk around!

Second, I found myself getting incredibly annoyed with Brad Pitt's portrayal of Billy Beane. I found him a thoroughly dislikeable character. He seemed to be a smug, know-it-all with no regard for his players for most of the movie. And I found myself willing him to not succeed. As another reviewer has stated, the acting from Pitt also seems to be trying too hard. It's hard to put a finger on what it is, but it just seemed forced and artificial at times.

Finally, I think despite the fact this movie is clearly designed to be about some more "deep" themes such as perseverance and challenging the norm etc, the reality is that unless you like baseball (or sports more generally maybe), this is just a very "baseball" movie. I just didn't find it interesting for the most part.

Having looked at other reviews, I see I'm in the minority on this one so maybe it's just not my bag, but I suppose my warning for others is that unless you really like sports movies, baseball or Brad Pitt - this one might disappoint.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark [DVD]
Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark [DVD]
Dvd ~ Guy Pearce

3.0 out of 5 stars A Very (Very!) "Traditional" Horror Movie, 2 April 2012
Don't Be Afraid of the Dark follows Sally, a little girl who's sent to live with her father and his girlfriend at Blackwood Manor, a very old (and somewhat creepy) manor house which they are renovating with a view to selling on. Sally, unhappy with feeling unhappy and unloved after her mother "sent her away" soon gets herself into trouble, finding a previously hidden cellar door in the overgrown grounds of the house which belongs to the previous owner - whose son disappeared without a trace many years prior, only to shortly disappear himself.

Sally hears voices whispering to her from the fireplace, asking to be let out so they can be her friend, feeling lonely she does so - but soon realises that the last thing the voices want is to be her friend, but rather to harm her.

The story itself is pretty good in my opinion, there's nothing wrong with a "traditional" horror movie. Of course we've all seen a haunted house movie before and it's nothing new but that doesn't mean it can't be good! And in this sense, I did enjoy this for what it was - a good, old fashioned horror flick.

But! The movie has three fatal flaws for me:

1. There's a difference between traditional and stereotyped and cliché - this really does cross the line into the later. There's the weird caretaker, who's really the good guy, there's the hidden collection of books at the local library that "explain all", there's the something moving under the bed sheets scene and the bathroom scene. The problem is NONE of it is new, unexpected or even just extremely well done.

2. The "monsters" aren't scary! You spend the first half hour, desperate to see the source of the eerie voice and when you do you're left under whelmed - it's like play doe gremlins! After seeing them for the first time, I just kept thinking "Oh come on, just squash them!" I'm sure given all of the special effects possible in this day and age; something better could have been managed.

3. None of the main characters are likeable. Sally is a very aloof child and to begin with you find yourself quite irritated with her. Her father is not just indifferent, he's negligent and the girlfriend, although probably the most likeable of the bunch is unfortunately played by Katie Holmes, who is fast winning my vote for worst actress to make it on to the big screen.

I did enjoy this movie, it was "OK" overall but true horror fans will probably find this overdone and unoriginal. It's a struggle to understand why you'd choose to re-do an old horror movie like this one and not do it better than before but that's exactly what this is - more of the same!

Paranormal Activity 3 [DVD]
Paranormal Activity 3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chloe Csengery
Offered by MediaMerchants

3.0 out of 5 stars Not As Good as the Rest of the Franchise (Or the Trailer!), 2 April 2012
This review is from: Paranormal Activity 3 [DVD] (DVD)
The Paranormal Activity franchise has given me two of my favourite horror films over the past several years, so I had equally high expectations for movie number three which goes back to when the sisters who starred in the first and second movie (Katie and Kristi) were children, living with their mother and her movie-maker boyfriend in the 80s.

First for the good points.....

The fact this movie is set in the 80s gives it a different "feel" to the other movies, but for me it wasn't a negative point as it had me thinking back to some great 80's horror movies like Poltergeist.

The format is much the same as the other movies with a "home movie" camera viewpoint - this time from a hand held camera and a make shift CCTV (a camcorder mounted on a fan base) and as with the other movies, it's used to great effect to build up suspense and catch some super creepy footage - I particularly liked the effect of the make shift CCTV camera they used in this one, as it spanned two rooms and as it moved between one and the other, you're often left in desperate suspense for it to move back to the other room where you're convinced "something" is going on.

Finally, the acting is pretty good throughout. As with the other movies, the actors are all unknown or relatively "small time" actors/actresses but despite this, they all do a great job with what must be quite a difficult direction style.

And now for the not so good points....

Firstly, this film sets itself up to annoy anyone whose attention they caught with the trailer. I'd seen the trailer before the movie reached the box office and it had immediately caught my attention - it looked fantastic! Better than the previous two movies! So, you can only imagine my confusion when on finally renting out the DVD out and watching the movie, I couldn't remember seeing most of the clips shown in the trailer. I promptly looked this up online and found that I wasn't the only one this was a sore point for - apparently less than 20% of the footage in the trailer was in the movie!

The missing trailer scenes would probably have bothered me less, if they weren't better than all of the scenes that DID make it in to the movie! Although there were admittedly several "good" scary bits, the trailer was probably more scary than the lot put together. Why they decided to cut such good footage is baffling!

<WARNING - THE NEXT TWO PARAGRAPHS CONTAINS SPOILERS, SKIP TO THE FINAL PARAGRAPH TO AVOID>

Although a common theme with the movies, the fact that the girls mother (Julie) refuses to acknowledge an issue is made more irritating in this movie than the others by the fact that her boyfriend (Dennis) refuses to show her the hard evidence! I can only assume that Julie's reluctance is going to be linked to the next movie in the series (e.g. she was also haunted as a child and didn't want to admit it was happening to her children) but it's a bit of a struggle to understand why Dennis wouldn't show her the videos of the haunting, even when the two little girls are clearly terrified and appear to have things creeping into their room at night!

Finally, the end was hugely disappointing for me. I suppose the whole Coven of witches theme was put in by way of explaining how the haunting began in the family but I guess the "human" factor spoilt it for me, I'd much rather they have kept it the work of an evil entity. But maybe, I'll change my mind when I see what Paranormal Activity 4 has in store.....

Overall, I was disappointed with this movie - only because I'd love the first two so much and had high expectations - particularly given the trailer, which just weren't lived up to. That being said, I've every intention of watching Paranormal Activity 4 when it's released and don't regret watching this one ultimately. My advice is give it a go, but just don't expect it to be as good as the previous ones (or the trailer!)

Crazy, Stupid, Love [DVD] [2012]
Crazy, Stupid, Love [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Steve Carell
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth Watching but Very Hit & Miss, 23 Mar 2012
The story follows Steve Carrels character Cal, after his high school sweetheart wife, Emily (Julianne Moore) cheats on him and asks for a divorce. After the split, Cal spirals into depression and spends ever night drinking in a bar and complaining about Emily's infidelity to anyone who will listen. It's here he meets up with young, sexy and cool Jacob (Ryan Gosling) who offers to give him a style make-over and teach him how to be a womaniser.

Meanwhile Cal's teenage son Robbie falls in love with his babysitter Jessica and sets about proving to her that they're destined to be together in a series of embarrassing declarations of love, much to her despair.

The style of this movie is very similar to Love Actually, with lots of different story strands, all about love and relationships which intertwine at the end and in that respect it does a good job. The problem for me with this movie was just that it was so hit and miss - it bobs back and forth from some really witty, funny and original scenes (the Dirty Dancing scene) to some clichéd ones which lack authenticity (the parent/teacher conference).

One real high point of this movie for me is the acting by Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling, both of whom are consistently great in their roles and even better together - their chemistry on screen is wonderful. In some ways this contrasts with the awkward chemistry between Carrel and Moore, which for me just didn't ever seem "real" enough.

The movie is certainly worth watching, just be prepared for a lot of highs and lows.

Friends With Benefits [DVD] [2011]
Friends With Benefits [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Justin Timberlake

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Rom-Com I've Seen In a Long Time!, 23 Mar 2012
I'm not a rom-com fan, so I didn't have high hopes for this movie but I was pleasantly surprised to find it was one of the best movies I've seen in quite some time.

The formula is a familiar one - boy meets girl, both are losers in love (despite being incredibly attractive!), Initially they are just friends, but this soon turns into friends with (sexual) benefits and of course it'll surprise no one that that soon turns into love, much to the surprise of them both. None of this is particularly surprising and the predictable nature of it is usually why I dislike rom-coms but what makes this one different is the comedy - it's really very good! Throughout the movie there's a scattering of genius comedy moments.

The lead characters (Timberlake & Kunis) are both very well developed and unlike most rom-coms it doesn't just focus on their love life, it focuses on their families and what makes them tick psychologically. The script is witting, funny and charming and you end up loving both characters by the end of the movie. Throw in a great supporting cast, with the likes of Woody Harrelson, a sports writer with a fixation on all things gay and the casting is just great.

Another thing worthy of a mention is the great soundtrack - there's some great songs used throughout the movie (Semisonic - Closing time etc) which really make it what it is.

For once I agree with one of the quotations of the box - this one really is "Sexy. Funny. Clever" - give it a go!

The Ides of March [DVD]
The Ides of March [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ryan Gosling
Offered by DVDBayFBA

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good....But Not Worth £29.00!, 20 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Ides of March [DVD] (DVD)
First I should start with the fact that I initially intended to buy this DVD but then saw the price and on principle absolutely refused - How you can justify charging £29.00 (current Amazon Price) for a DVD (without any additional features even!) I don't know.....So I downloaded it instead!

The plot follows Governor Mike Morris (played by George Clooney) on his election campaign in a key state and his ambitious press secretary Stephen Myers (Ryan Gosling) as they try to win over the US with a liberal portfolio supporting controversial stances such as abortion and atheism being acceptable. The key plot focuses on the distractions caused by young and attractive intern Molly (Evan Rachel Wood) and how small mistakes can result in disastrous consequences in the high stakes game of US frontline politics.

The big positives were the acting, which was very good all around and the plot itself. Both of these were very good and worthy of noting. I wasn't sure if to expect a boring political "thriller" or something a bit more exciting that got to the dirty tactics and underhand internal politics of a US election campaign so I was pleased to find it was the latter. There's a big focus on the need for "perfection" among the key players in such high profile campaigns and several characters fall foul of this requirement and find their careers unravelling around them. You also quickly understand why so many politicians end up "playing dirty", the X-Files mantra of "Trust No One" comes to mind more than once!

The big downside to the movie was the pace of it. While I am sympathetic to the fact that political thrillers aren't in the same league as action and horror movies when it comes to excitement, I did feel this one at times lacked the pace it could easily have if it better caught the "buzz" of an active election campaign which was probably an issue with the direction.

The other factor to consider when purchasing this movie is probably that unless you're American or someone who understands the American political system and election system, this movie may leave you scratching your head and wondering what's going on at times. I must admit that despite the fact I understand it relatively well it did take me a while to work out who was who and what roles they were meant to be. As such I suspect this could put some people off.

Overall the movie was worth watching, just be warned that the subject matter is very "American" and the pace can sometimes leave your mind wandering elsewhere.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 29, 2012 9:12 AM BST

Anonymous [DVD] [2011]
Anonymous [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Rhys Ifans
Offered by ____THE_BEST_ON_DVD____

2.0 out of 5 stars Has Promise but is Just Too Slow....., 18 Mar 2012
This review is from: Anonymous [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
Unlike many other reviewers here, I don't know much about the origins of Shakespeare's material so have no real axe to grind in either direction about if he was the true author or not but I do usually enjoy historical dramas so thought this one would be up my street but the first 15 minutes were so slow that I almost gave up then and there.

The story proposes that all of Shakespeare's work was written by the Earl of Oxford, a beau of the queen's with whom she had an illegitimate son. He was unable to claim the credit for his work due to the period's disdain for creative arts and therefore asked Ben Jonson a well known playwright of the time to take credit for his work. Unfortunately for him Shakespeare got there first and took credit for the work as his own, despite being unable to write a single letter due to his poor education.

Things did pick up once we started getting into the relationships between the queen and Oxford and I found myself enjoying the plot, in particular I enjoyed the politics of the queen's court around trying to get her successor to be who they wanted it to be. For me the who wrote the plays and who didn't was almost the least interesting bit, the far more interesting bit was around the relationships of individuals and their motives.

The end of the movie was probably the best part, it picks up pace well and there's a few twists and turns which are unexpected and enjoyable. But despite these highlights for the most part the movie was just too slow and I found my attention kept wavering elsewhere. Given the choice of watching this movie again with hindsight I probably wouldn't bother....

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5