Profile for Daniel Muir > Reviews

Content by Daniel Muir

Daniel Muir (Glasgow, Scotland)

Griffin Elan Form Graphite Case for iPhone 4
Griffin Elan Form Graphite Case for iPhone 4

4.0 out of 5 stars A robust case, 29 July 2011
It seems somewhat perverse to buy an expensive, slim, beautifully, elegantly designed object then sheath it in a cheap and relatively ugly, bulky plastic case. However, in the interests of protecting the expensive beautifully designed object, that's what many of us choose to do.

This one is pretty good. Although no thing of beauty, it is a good fit and is robust - I dropped mine down a flight of metal-edged stairs and the case took a couple of dents but no damage whatsoever to the phone.

It's thoughtfully designed with the apertures for the camera, dock and buttons all sensibly sized and in the right place, and it's relatively compact so doesn't add too much bulk when it's in your pocket. The two parts fit together well and the build quality is good. So all in all, fit for purpose, it does a good job and I'd recommend it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 14, 2013 10:28 AM GMT

by Iain Banks

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead Embarrasing, 14 Nov. 2003
This review is from: Dead Air (Paperback)
Reading this book is like watching your Dad dancing at a wedding disco. I am a great fan of Iain Banks' earlier works, particularly The Crow Road, The Bridge, and the Wasp Factory but I can't help feeling that he is losing his touch. Reading "Dead Air" made me cringe.
Why? Leaving aside the weakness of the plot and the cliched stereotypes of the main characters, my main impression of the book was that Iain Banks was trying to prove something - or several things. The sexual content is graphic, crude and gratuitous. It adds little to the story and seemed to me like it should belong in some sort of dodgy airport "erotic novel." As mentioned in other reviews here, the political rants appear to be thinly-veiled attempts to get Banks' own views across. The smutty radio-chat sections are woeful (or maybe I just missed the irony there). And the cultural references just seemed to be trying much too hard to show Banks is (still?) cool.
All in all, it lacks substance, it's trashy, and therefore a real disappointment. I can't decide if it's me or Banks' writing that has changed since I so enjoyed his earlier books. I hope it's the latter - so that there's the possibility of a return to form with his next book.

by Iain Banks

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead Embarrassing, 18 Oct. 2003
This review is from: Dead Air (Paperback)