Profile for Mr. Stuart Wishart > Reviews

Content by Mr. Stuart Wishart

Mr. Stuart Wishart (Worcester, England)

Cradle To The Grave
Cradle To The Grave

5.0 out of 5 stars Mission accomplished Mr Tilbrook, 2 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Cradle To The Grave (Audio CD)
In interviews before they began making this album, Glenn made the observation that he didn't see the point of making a new Squeeze album unless it was the best thing they had ever done. My heart sank at the time as I read that as code for "We'll see but maybe nothing will ever be released". If you do purchase this album you will be getting what is in my opinion quite simply the best album they have ever made. As Madness did a few years back with "Norton Folgate" they've shown that they can still surprise us by raising the bar another notch. Song for song it is up there with the best of their 90s work such as Play but with an energy and a cohesive group feel that that fine album cannot match. It's hard to compare with early classics such as Eastside Story because of the unfair advantage that nostalgia lends but it's pretty darned close. When I heard that backing singers and orchestra were being employed I worried that the essential "Squeeze sound" might be diluted (I really am a pessimist, aren't I) but again they are tastefully employed and enhance the great writing at the heart of this album. Whilst some may bemoan the lack of a Difford vocal, he is far from hiding in the shadows. He duets with Glenn on several tracks, including the outstanding "Honeytrap" and "Only 15" the latter of which has been in my head on a permanent loop for days. And unless my ears are deceiving me, isn't that a counter melody that he sings on the chorus of "Beautiful Game"? Inspired. I'd love to go through the album track by track but I really would get boring with trying to find new superlatives. All I'll say is the T-shirts being sold on their tour bearing the words " I'd Forgotten How Much I Like Squeeze" are unjust. I hadn't forgotten at all, but with this album they've just made me love them even more.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 15, 2015 12:30 PM GMT

Star Wars: Free game
Star Wars: Free game

1.0 out of 5 stars Just a bunch of jigsaws, 28 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Star Wars: Free game (App)
I have nothing against jigsaws but I was expecting a proper game and was annoyed that the description didn't mention that that's all it is.

BlazeCraft
BlazeCraft

1.0 out of 5 stars Confused, 6 April 2013
This review is from: BlazeCraft (App)
Bought this after seeing and hearing some cool things about it having really enjoyed Minecraft. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if it is a reduced version of the game but all it seems to consist of is trying to avoid fireballs from a blaze by moving up and down the right side of the screen while the blaze fires from the left. None of the things shown in the screenshots seem to happen. Despite instructions on how to destroy a blaze that isn't possible either. As it is this game would have been considered pretty lame in the early 80s let alone now. I can't believe that this is how it is meant to be but I can;t get it to do anything else.

The Lone Ranger
The Lone Ranger
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait, 27 July 2009
This review is from: The Lone Ranger (Audio CD)
There are two surprises about this album. The first is that it took 7 years after the solitary album from The Madness before Suggs finally branched out solo. The second surprise, especially to the casual Madness fan who might not have spotted Suggs as a key writer in the band (Ghost Train was his only solo credit), is how great it is.

If you were put off, as I was, from getting this album initially by the fact that the two hit singles from it were covers (decent but unspectacular versions of Cecilia by Simon and Garfunkel and I'm Only Sleeping by The Beatles), then be prepared to be impressed by just how good the rest of the album is. Significant credit for this must be shared by fellow nutty boy Mike Barson who shares the writing duties on several tracks including the exceptional Camden Town and Alcohol. 4 am was considered good enough to be reworked by the full Madness band for their "comeback" album a few years after this and while this version lacks some of the punch they give it, it is still a class track. Elsewhere "Green Eyes" is hauntingly down beat and memorable.

The only miss for me is the closing track "She's Gone" which tries a little too hard to get epic and doesn't quite get there. Overall this is a stunning debut. Thankfully it hasn't precluded further work with the full band, which has been getting better and better. On this evidence though Suggs is more than capable of punching his own weight solo.

Lovestruck [CD 1]
Lovestruck [CD 1]
Offered by Mattpuss

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertainment to die for, 27 July 2009
This review is from: Lovestruck [CD 1] (Audio CD)
Another top quality single from Madness (Do they write bad ones?) If you don't already own the album "Wonderful" from which this comes then go and do that now. It's full of top tunes like this. For many people tracking down this single it will be a chance to get the extra tracks. This edition contains Barson/Thompson's "Round and Round" and "Maddley"; "We Are Love" listed by Amazon is actually on the CD2 edition. The former is an excellent track which grows on you. Despite a quite dark and unattractive verse the tune is strangely infectious and by the time the chorus has been round a couple of times, I was hooked. The latter is a preview medley of the "Wonderful" album, interesting finishing with a clip from "You're Wonderful" which actually didn't make it to the album and must have been a late cut. Great work by a great band.

Crunch
Crunch

4.0 out of 5 stars Nutty but nice, 25 July 2009
This review is from: Crunch (Audio CD)
I bought this album trying to satisfy a Madness craving and didn't really know what to expect. Overall this is a good fun package. Lee's rather off-beat approach to the vocals takes a little getting used to and sometimes sacrifices clarity for character which is a shame as the lyrics are pretty good. This quibble aside I think each of the compositions are strong. "Magic Carpet" is probably the strongest, co-written with Suggs. Additional tracks include "It's Okay I'm A Polceman" from the follow-up EP to this album and the accompanying video, both of which embody the fun approach that both Lee and Chrissy Boy seem determined to put back into their music after the rather more straight-faced efforts of the later Madness albums. Overall this is mostly going to appeal to Madness fans but I'd recommend it to anyone as a slice of nuttiness that will make you smile and keep your feet tapping.