Profile for Justin Murphy > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
NETGEAR GS205-100UKS 5 Port Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbps Switch
NETGEAR GS205-100UKS 5 Port Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbps Switch

5.0 out of 5 stars TV and Xbox One with a single network socket, 12 May 2015
I use this to plug my TV cable and my Xbox One into the internet where I have only one network socket in the wall. It works perfectly.

Karrimor Mens Nevada Athletic and Outdoor Sandals K704-GRD-159 Grey/Red 11 UK, 45 EU, 12 US

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sandals once they are worn in, 15 Oct. 2014
I have tried lots of water/outdoor sandals. At first I did not like these because they were very difficult to get on and off. This is because there is no opening strap. However, I perservered and they are now my favourite of this type. The part at the back gets a bit looser with time and the result, at least in my case, is that they can be put on and taken off relatively easily, yet the absence of an opening strap means that they stay on securely.

With other makes of sandal, I have often found them uncomfortable at the achilles tendon. But I have not had this problem with these from Karrimor. They are very comfortable.

Merrell Men's Articulus Shorts - Boulder, Size 34
Merrell Men's Articulus Shorts - Boulder, Size 34

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 Oct. 2014
Nice shorts. They fit well: not baggy and shapeless like most cargo shorts.

Robe Di Kappa Women's Polo Shirt -  Blue - M
Robe Di Kappa Women's Polo Shirt - Blue - M
Offered by Yocabè - Moda

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, 16 Sept. 2014
I bought this for my wife - it is good quality and fits well. She is about a UK size 10 to 12 and the medium fits her.

The Snail and the Whale
The Snail and the Whale
by Julia Donaldson

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book for reading aloud, 11 April 2013
I like all of this series by Julia Donaldson and Axel Shaeffler, but this is my favourite. I love reading it aloud. The rhythm of the writing is just perfect, with the same sort of flavour as Sophocles, or Miffy.

It used to be a favourite of my children but now they are getting too old for it.

The Three and a Half Minute Transaction: Boilerplate and the Limits of Contract Design (Chicago Series in Law and Society)
by Mitu Gulati

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for sovereign debt lawyers, 11 April 2013
The authors' thoroughness in their own research and their familiarity with the extensive academic literature on contract drafting - of which I as a practitioner was completely unaware - makes reading this book a necessity for any lawyer working in sovereign debt, and advisable for all lawyers drafting contracts of any kind. Gulati and Scott describe the background and then examine a number of theories as to why such an apparently ambiguous clause is present in almost all sovereign debt instruments. For such a dry subject, it is a very good read. The book is also very well produced: printed on good paper, nicely bound (the hardback edition) and containing a very good index and endnotes (I would have preferred footnotes). It is the right length: it explains everything fully but is not excessively long. It has the feeling of a book that has been very well proof-read, revised and edited. A great deal of work has gone into it and it was not wasted.

I have one comment on the theory that lawyers have not revised the clause because they do not want to admit to their clients that it is imperfect. This is plausible but, if it is true, I think that the lawyers are mistaken to expect that revisions would be unwelcome. I have worked as an in-house lawyer for a frequent debt issuer, and in my opinion we would not have minded at all had our external lawyers come to us with such a proposal. They could always have justified the change by reference to developments in the case law or even blamed it on a retired partner. I think that we would have been pleased that the current lawyers were awake. (But I realise, writing this review now, that it never occurred to me to try to make any such changes myself.) Would the underwriters have minded? I don't know, but I suspect that there is a value in being able to say to investors that the document is just the same as last time. So maybe they would have been more difficult to convince.

It would be interesting to know whether investors really read and care about these clauses when making their investment decisions. I suspect that they just have a checklist in their mind and one of the items on it is that there is a clause indicating that the bonds are not subordinated (which is one function of the pari passu clause). I suspect that very few people actually examine the wording of the clause.

Merrell True Glove, Men's Trainers, J85533, Green (Dusty Olive/Amazon), 12 UK
Merrell True Glove, Men's Trainers, J85533, Green (Dusty Olive/Amazon), 12 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite shoes, 24 Oct. 2012
I use these for general wear as ordinary trainers, and for outdoor runs on sharp ground. They are great either with or without socks. The low heel feels good for my posture. A doctor told me that I had "fallen arches" and wanted me to wear special insoles but in fact it was just a question of posture that I have fixed - at least when I am barefoot or wearing minimalist shoes - by paying attention to the position of my knees, ankles and feet (cf Alexander Technique).

For running on the treadmill in the gym, I wear my Fivefingers, which are perfect for that use but whose soles are too thin for the paths near my home (some sort of concrete with sharp stones). (I think you can get Fivefingers with thicker soles nowadays.)

These Merrells are a perfect general trainer for someone who has seen the light and wants to move away from the excessive cushioning on the soles of standard sports shoes. But try Fivefingers too: the world is big enough for both. A word on the sizing: I normally take UK size 11 (Euro 45 or 46) and originally ordered these in a UK 11, but they were too small for me and I exchanged them for a UK size 12 (Euro 47). The bigger size fits me perfectly, with a lot of room for the toes.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Look good but tough on the heel, 30 Jun. 2011
I thought that I would like these shoes, because I have other Teva sandals that fit me well. Unfortunately if I wear these ones in bare feet my heel is rubbed raw within half an hour. Maybe it's just the shape of my heel but I advise caution.

Draper 38716 33-Piece Security Bit Set
Draper 38716 33-Piece Security Bit Set

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but there is a still smaller triwing screw in existence, 19 April 2011
I bought this because I needed a small triwing bit to open a Pokewalker (an accessory for a Nintendo DSi). The bits are very good quality, but unfortunately the smallest triwing bit is still too big for the screws on the Pokewalker.

LEGO® Minifigure Ultimate Sticker Collection
LEGO® Minifigure Ultimate Sticker Collection
by DK DK

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 14 Feb. 2011
My six year old son likes sticker books, and this has been one of his favourites. There are plenty of stickers and they are of good quality.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3