Profile for Victor Meldrew Mk2 > Reviews

Content by Victor Meldrew Mk2
Top Reviewer Ranking: 280

Victor Meldrew Mk2 "stefan morawiec" (Dorset)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
How to Stress Less: Simple Ways to Stop Worrying and Take Control of Your Future
by Benjamin Bonetti

4.0 out of 5 stars Get me out of here!..........or perhaps not., 7 Oct. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book provided me with a very apt aide memoir to combat stress.

Most of us suffer from stress, indeed it is essential to prevent us from vegetating and in the right circumstances, provides us with enjoyment. Work in itself should provide us with sufficient stress to stimulate us to perform, however, the problem arises when we encounter levels of stress which make us uncomfortable and render us less effective.

I found that this book was a really useful reminder to me as a senior manager of some of the signs that I was becoming stressed to an intolerable level and provided me with a number of exercises to help me identify and cope with the stresses that I encounter on a day to day basis. Many of the diagnostic tests and coping mechanisms which it imparts are not new and are fairly commonplace in books of this type, but in this publication the models and guides are well laid out and more importantly are easy to read.

I particularly liked the elements regarding exercise and nutrition, as I know from my own experience that when I am stressed my diet suffers and the first thing that I sacrifice after binning snacking on fruit and eating chocolate biscuits is my lunchtime walk; even if it is ten minutes walking out of the office to get a coffee, that will go as I seek to cope with my stress levels - it is a useful reminder to me not to give these elements of healthy living up.

So why 4 and not 5 stars? Simple really, I found that my copy of the book had too many of the exercises and tables crossing pages and it was frustrating to have to keep turning pages backwards and forwards. It provides an holistic overview of the causes, symptoms of stress and provides an aid to those of us who need a plan to cope or a reminder.

Overall though a very good aid to the person who is stressed either at work or home.

Wi-Fi Analyzer
Wi-Fi Analyzer

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure how accurate this is, 1 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Wi-Fi Analyzer (App)
I have given this item 3 stars on the basis that I am not sure how accurate it provides readings.

I have a BT home hub v5 and it reports a quite respectable speed from that source, however, I also utilise a wifi extender, which connects via one of the port on the hub and passes through the mains wiring in the house to another BT product. I was amazed to discuscover that this item was supposedly providing me with a better signal, which I find hard to believe.

So why 3 and not four or five? To be honest, for me it is an item that I will rarely use as I do'nt tend to travel with my kindle, the lack of clear instructions accompanying the app and the fact that I cannopt see how using the signal from an extender is better than the router itself.

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? 2014
Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? 2014

2.0 out of 5 stars avoid, 29 Sept. 2014
I didn't think that this app was worth the money. Simply put, "it isn't very good"

Ultrasport Jump Trampoline - Blue, 6 Ft/183 cm
Ultrasport Jump Trampoline - Blue, 6 Ft/183 cm

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't let a four star review put you off, 28 Sept. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It may be that I am not so good at assembly as I thought, but it took me and my 14 year old almost 90 minutes to assemble this; possibly after I discarded the supplied spanner and sought out my own. Have no doubt though; whilst this item is relatively cheap, it is a substantial piece of garden equipment and one that has the weight associated with being able to absorb the rigorous activity that ensued after we finally got it together. We are both quite big, well I am just over 13 stone; up to the maximum weight and my son is almost 10 stone in weight. I am just about foot tall and he is marginally shorter, but we both found that we could bounce up an down with relative ease and to a respectable height on this trampoline.

From a safety perspective, I like the net surrounding the apparatus; I haven't used a trampoline for many years and neither has my wife, therefore we were reassured for our own safety and I must admit, it gave us a degree of reassurance regarding the activities of our exuberant son when he is not supervised, such as when he has his friends around.

I wouldn't really class this as a trampoline in its truest sense. At 6 feet diameter, you are quite restricted to what you can do, however, it would be ideal for small children, or dare I say it, a man in his fifties (like me) who wants to keep himself fit, exercising muscles that he hasn't for a while. I am pretty fit though and regularly swim 40 lengths and try to get my pedometer over 10,000 steps, ride my bike etc

So why have I given this item 4 and not 5 stars? To be honest, it is a great 4 star item, but if I gave it 5 stars, I don't think that it do justice to the 8 feet item, which I believe should be better as it is larger; basically, 6 foot is a bit limiting for a trampoline and even my 14 year old found he was fairly limited. In summary therefore:

PROS

Well made and seemingly robust
Good safety features, net walls and padded frame
Relatively easy to construct
You can bounce high, but not extremely high
Good for exercise

CONS

6 feet is a bit small; I am not criticising the item, just advising prospective purchasers that maybe the 8 foot is better
I have pinned mine into the lawn with some pegs that we use to secure our son's goalposts; I was concerned that whilst it is rigid, t could roll over with some enthusiastic use
I have searched to find a weatherproof cover to no avail and with winter coming on, even with a largish garage, I have nowhere to store it and I fear that it might deteriorate when exposed to the elements.

Pretty pleased though with this item and RECOMMENDED

Einhell BG-PH 2250 Petrol Hedge Trimmer
Einhell BG-PH 2250 Petrol Hedge Trimmer

1.0 out of 5 stars Haircut Sir?, 26 Sept. 2014
.............well not quite. I am reporting on my first impression of the item I have received today and a first cut of a mainly beech hedge.

Out of the box, filled up with the right 2 stroke mix, half a dozen presses on the primer, second pull and away I went; I am familiar with 2 stroke engines and ran it at half choke for about a minute to warm up and establish fuel flow, then onto full flow. I tackled a small beech hedge cutting through both thick(ish) branches and thin stalks, as well as what is left of the leaves as we come into autumn.

UPDATE

It has packed up! Sent back for a refund. It simply would not start. Really disappointed as I felt that this would be a good item.

Threes!
Threes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 25 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Threes! (App)
Simply love this little app. Hours of fund playing this

Stanley STHT5-20211 20-inch/ 500mm Heavy Duty Saw (Pack of 5)
Stanley STHT5-20211 20-inch/ 500mm Heavy Duty Saw (Pack of 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Rolling Review based upon use in a practical environment - FIRST UPDATE, 23 Sept. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm starting off with a four star review for this item (UPGRADED TO 5 STARS), for no other reason that I am amazed at how quickly we Vine Reviewers rattle off the reviews as quickly as we get the item; nothing to do with climbing up the rankings at all by getting reviews in quickly!

My five saws arrived as a parcel today and I was really grateful to receive these items to test, particularly as I have a fair amount of wood to saw through over the weekend; but I feel that one will suffice more that enough for quite awhile, particularly as I have had a similar saw for over 10 years. That one, like these are likely to, will keep an edge for a significant amount of time for the general DIYER, like myself and I anticipate that the five I have received will last quite a long time.

Initial impressions are that these items are well made, have a keen edge and as I have said previously, will probably last me a long if not a liftetime. I haven't tried sawing any timber yet, but I feel that as a start I will saw up a wooden pallet which I need to break up for our log burner; not to see how good it saws, but more importantly how they retain their edge and how to guage how durable they are. I generally take a chainsaw to pallets, but I think that in regards to durability that will be a good start to test it for the Vine Programme; fair bit of hand sawing in a pallet! Following that I have to replace a couple of pine planks in my son's playroom floor in the garden, which will require a few more cuts.

The real test will come later in the weekend when I have some oak floorboards which need to be cut ready to re-floor one of our bedrooms. We can see if they are up to the mettle then.

FIRST UPDATE -25th September 2014

A pallet. I couldn't resist getting stuck into the large, mainly softwood pallet which I wanted to break down. The main supporting cross beams being hardwood and the "floor" of the pallet being softwood. Due to the face that I break pallets up on the drive, I am quite careful that I remove nails and debris to prevent punctures in one of our car tyres, but also, as I wanted to use this wood in our log burner, I hate having to rake out nails with the ash. I have to say that the saw was quite impressive. At this stage, may I state the obvious that I am not looking for precision cuts, but I am pleased to say that in a little over 13 minutes and a pretty impressive workout, my pallet had been reduced to a pile of 12 logs, requiring 9 cuts through quite impressive 120mm hardwood and i whizzed through the remained to produce a pile of softwood kindling; I used a small axe to split this down the grain as it would have taken ages to saw it. Would I use this method again, probably not, but it did give me some insight as to how good these saws are. The precision work at the weekend will give me a better idea. Suffice to say, a quick squirt of WD 40 to keep the blade rust free and back into the cardboard "scabbard" and an update to come over the weekend. My wife has just noticed a chunk of holly tree that needs to come off as well and so, whilst the saw is not intended for this type of work, I will see how it tackles that; which I believe is a particularly hard wood and always blunts my chain saw. The piece I am looking at is about 150-175mm thick and is a substantial branch.

A really good 4 star at the moment, but a five star is on the horizon if they are as durable as I think they will be.

SECOND UPDATE - 28th September 2014

I like these saws, well actually a saw, the other 4 are still unused. As previously stated, I have sawn both soft and hard wood today, a pile of pine for my son's playroom and quite a few oak floorboards. Zipped through with ease :-) I moved onto the holly tree, and whilst it was not lightening quick, I took down a 6 inch thick trunk quite quickly and proceeded to cut up a fair amount of it into logs. Anyone who has cut holly will know that it isn't the easiet and that is why I tried this saw. I realise that the average DIYER or carpenter won't use a saw such as this for gardening, but I really did want to test it. Suffice to say, the saw kept its edge and is now nestled back in its carboard sheath/scabbard, with a liberal coating of oil to preserve the finish.

THIRD UPDATE - 20th October 2014

I have spent a further weekend using the first of these items, having made hundreds of cuts now. First one still almost as good as new. Can't be bad!

FINAL UPDATE

Spent half-term undertaking a few tasks around the home. Not too much sawing but when called upon, the original saw flew through the timber with ease; I sense that perhaps I may have a number of Christmas presents for that hard to please group of friends :-)

IN SUMMARY

A great package of 5 saws, although I would like to see them sold individually too, as I can't see the one I started working with wearing out too soon; although for a professional it would be a different matter. Personally, for the type of irregular need I have for a saw I think that a pack of five will last a very long time, particularly as I use electric tools for precision work and possess a couple of chainsaws for sone of the jobs I have described in my review. I do think that they are a cracking item though and well worth 5 stars.

11.10V,6600mAh, 9 cells, Li-Ion, Replacement Laptop Battery For Dell Inspiron 1501, Inspiron 6400, Inspiron E1505, Latitude 131L, Vostro 1000 Brand New
Offered by ATekCity

4.0 out of 5 stars A good 4 star item, 21 Sept. 2014
At the price, this battery worked really well on my very aged Dell Computer. Unfortunately, whilst the battery was part of the problem, it was not all of it. I was able to get just over 1 hour of charge out of the battery before it gave up and whilst subsequent re-charges offered a greater amount of time, the most I got after 4 charges and run downs was 2 hours 3 minutes. So it wasn't great, but it did work and thankfully I was able to obtain the data that I needed.

So why 4 stars? Not 3 or 5. Easy really, it certainly is a reasonable product, but it isn't excellent, so overall based upon price over performance, I think 4 stars is fair.

OfficeSuite Professional 8
OfficeSuite Professional 8

5.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for business, 21 Sept. 2014
This review is from: OfficeSuite Professional 8 (App)
I like this office suite. It seem to compliment my kindle well and is great for allowing me to view documents in meetings. I don't like to use it for inputting data, other than the odd comment; simply as my fingers and a seven inch screen are not really compatible. Great little app though for ensuring you can view data, on screen without carrying around a huge wad of paper.

Flightradar24 Pro - Kindle Edition
Flightradar24 Pro - Kindle Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice little toy, 21 Sept. 2014
I quite like this item. I use a slightly better product on my ipD; well visually anyway, and they are both remarkably accurate in displaying the location etc of aircraft in the sky above our house. I am certainly not an "anorak" in this regard, but when walking my dog early in the morning, it is quite comforting to know that at 6:10 a.m the silver speck coming up from the south is actually coming up from Cape Town and the plane which seems to coin dice with it is actually a TAP aircraft coming from Lisbon to gatwick.

I must have missed something in my life......

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20