Profile for Jeff > Reviews

Content by Jeff

Jeff (Surrey:UK)

Page: 1 | 2
NVIDIA Quadro NVS 440 - Graphics adapter - PCI Express x16 - 256 MB DDR - Digital Visual Interface (DVI)
Offered by pdarepair
Price: 39.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent card for Win 7 PCs with only one PCI slot but 4 monitors.!, 22 July 2014
There are very few cheap options open to Windows 7 PC owners that only have 1 PCI slot and need 4 monitors - This is one!
The card fits happily into one full height slot and does not extend across other slot's spaces.
Handles business graphics needs well (not sure how it compares with more modern cards performance wise but I don't care)
I arrived with two DMS-59 splitter cables which were DVI type rather than the advertised VGA ones, but luckily that was not an issue for me as I have spares.

Merrell Men's Chameleon Wrap Slam Lace Up Charcoal/Red Trainer J86269 9.5 UK
Merrell Men's Chameleon Wrap Slam Lace Up Charcoal/Red Trainer J86269 9.5 UK
Price: 71.78

5.0 out of 5 stars The most comfortable trainers ever, 20 July 2014
This is my third pair of these over a number of years. They have all been consistently excellent quality. They are the most comfortable trainers I have ever had and provide good support. Wearing them feels like you have your feet wrapped up cloth, like a moccasin. My only criticism is that they seem to slip on wet hard surfaces a bit too easily for shoes designed for rock trekking etc.

Sport Jaguar High Polish Enamel Finish Gear Knob
Sport Jaguar High Polish Enamel Finish Gear Knob

2.0 out of 5 stars Did not fit securely on my Jag X-Type Auto stick., 16 July 2014
The plastic inserts that are supposed to make this item universal fit did not work well enough to obtain a secure fit on my gear stick (They were all too large). However the item was delivered on time and in good condition.

Yamaha YDP142 Digital Portable Piano - Black
Yamaha YDP142 Digital Portable Piano - Black
Price: 635.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks Good, Sounds Great, Wife happy !, 6 Jan 2014
My wife has always wanted a piano and we have never had the space (or money).
We had previously investigated this and other Yamaha digital pianos at the Ideal Home Show in London 2013 and should really thank the guys there for their help even though we didn't buy one at the time - Sorry! We had to put the idea on ice due to cost. However, when one came up on Black Friday at a substantial discount I could not resist any more and bought it on impulse.
It arrive in a larger than expected box which caused issues getting it home as I had it delivered at work and only have a small car - should have checked that first.
Anyway, once it was home and assembled it looked good, sounded great, and best of all my wife is ecstatic. Now, where can I find a good piano tutor...
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 22, 2014 9:30 AM BST

Sony MDR-ZX100 Outdoor Headband Headphones - Black
Sony MDR-ZX100 Outdoor Headband Headphones - Black
Offered by Digi Flash
Price: 10.27

3.0 out of 5 stars Sound good but look a bit different to those in the pictures., 6 Jan 2014
I was a bit surprised when they arrived as the finish on the outer part of the ear pieces is actually high gloss rather than the matt/satin finish expected based on the photos when ordered online. In my opinion this makes them look "plasticy" and cheap. I am also concerned that this finish may scratch easily. However, the rest of the product appears of good quality (as expected from Sony branded products) and they do sound good. I have not seen better at anything like this kind of price point so am pretty happy with my purchase.

FENDER JAZZ BASS MIRROR SCRATCHPLATE PICKGUARD
FENDER JAZZ BASS MIRROR SCRATCHPLATE PICKGUARD

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, 6 Jan 2014
Item arrived as expected and without issue - packaging was adequate.
The item itself looks good.
Unfortunately some of the attachment holes did not line up with the pre-drilled holes in my guitars body but this was sort of expected and did not cause much of an issue. More importantly the precut hole for the pickup was on the small side and required enlarging in order to fit the "standard" pickups that I had (I do not know what make they are and am assuming they are slightly over-large). This was tricky to do as the mirror finish is easily scratched on the under/backside. Overall I am very pleased, although I probably should have ordered more than one so that I could ensure I had an identical one when it comes to replacing the first one.

The Ocean at the End of the Lane
The Ocean at the End of the Lane
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent tale from Mr Gaiman, 6 Dec 2013
I really enjoy Mr Gaiman's books, they reminds me in strange ways of Ray Bradbury's work - They both have a way of making the "Idea" behind the story mean more than the words themselves (the sense of deep mythology).
So this book was a near certainty for me. However, I think it is only the second book that I have come across that I know my wife will love too (the other being Stardust, also by Neil Gaiman).

Rocktile JB-Style DIYJB Electric Bass Guitar Assembly Kit
Rocktile JB-Style DIYJB Electric Bass Guitar Assembly Kit
Price: 85.09

3.0 out of 5 stars Returned 1st kit as not what I ordered - Replacement OK but with issues., 6 Dec 2013
I was quite excited... It arrived on time and was well packaged.
On unpacking it however, I was very disappointed as it turned out to be a LP Guitar Kit rather than the JB Bass Guitar Kit that I ordered.
It did look nice though - The body was a bit light weight but ok, the neck looked good and all the other parts were there.
Shame it had to go back (Hope to re-review it once I get the replacement that has been ordered).

UPDATE: Kit replaced by Amazon without issue. Replacement Item quality was ok for the money except for a few significant issues...
1) Missing screws for the control plate - causing annoyance finding replacements.
2) Poor quality screws for attaching the tuners - one snapped in the headstock causing major annoyance - finding replacement screws and having to work around the embedded screw that I could not remove.
3) The guitar was pre routed for everything except it did not have a pre-drilled hole for the bridge/tailpiece ground wire - this was a bit awkward to do myself and is definitely not optional.
4) The guitar body had unfortunate markings in some of the wood so was not suitable for the clear finish I was hoping to apply - not really unexpected at this pricepoint.

OVERALL : I ended up with a working bass guitar that I enjoyed building. However, you get what you pay for.

The Death of Grass (Penguin Modern Classics)
The Death of Grass (Penguin Modern Classics)
Price: 3.95

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read and a worthy Modern Classic, 6 Dec 2013
This is/was my dad's second favourite book (#1 being Catch 22), and I understand why.
It was a good read. The story is quite "dark" and the main characters' actions still seem quite harsh at times, even by today's standards. This book must have been controversial when it was first published. The parallels with Day of the Triffids are obvious but the tone of the stories are so different. I am really glad i finally got around to reading it. A worthy Modern Classic.

The Man in the High Castle (Penguin Modern Classics)
The Man in the High Castle (Penguin Modern Classics)
Price: 3.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, I just didn't get it., 6 Dec 2013
I have been meaning to read this for some few years and am a fan of PKD's work (mainly his short stories). Although there was nothing particularly wrong with this story and I thought that the alternative history aspect in itself was well thought out and nicely told, I did not like the sudden ending, and simply do not understand why this is such a "classic".

Page: 1 | 2