Profile for Christina > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Travel Advisory: How to Avoid Thefts, Cons, and Street Scams
Travel Advisory: How to Avoid Thefts, Cons, and Street Scams

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating book; good advice for travellers, 23 Nov 2014
Had someone make off with my luggage on a Heathrow train and became intrigued as to who was this thief? Was it a professional gang? How widespread? Like most savvy London commuters, I assumed I fully understood all the "Keep your belongings with you at all times" announcements.

After this incident, I realised I was actually ignorant of the extensive thief subcultures to be found in every city, which particularly victimise train commuters and tourists.

I ran after the thief and got my suitcase back, but was shaken by the ease he walked off the train with it, just as the doors were closing. Three large woman blocked my view and I realise now from this book, they were likely accomplices.

My only quibble is the book is relatively expensive for 250 pages. Unputdownable with eye-opening detail and great advice for travellers!

How I Lost You
How I Lost You
by Jenny Blackhurst

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Title and Promising Plot, 11 Nov 2014
This review is from: How I Lost You (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a story of a quest of a woman deemed mentally ill. Thus, the reader is put on notice that this may not be a reliable witness.

As an unfolding detective story driven by paranoia, the reader is compelled to keep turning the pages.

I have not yet finished the book, but will be reading it on holiday (a high honour for a book<g>). I will let you know my final verdict when I return!

How to Stress Less: Simple Ways to Stop Worrying and Take Control of Your Future
by Benjamin Bonetti

4.0 out of 5 stars Motivational & Inspirational...(If you have time to read it), 11 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Motivating & Inspirational (If You Have Time to Read it). My problem was I was so stressed and pressured, I haven't got round to reading this book in full!

However, I have browsed through it and I realised I had read and reviewed another Benjamin Bonetti book,How to Change Your Life: Who am I and What Should I Do with My Life? so clearly I am attracted to his subject matter.

Bonetti advocates NLP and Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, which is where one changes how you react to triggers. I can't say I am a big fan of CBT as I tend to believe in trusting your gut feelings. Nonetheless, this book is motivating and inspirational in that it helps the reader identify the stress points in his or her life and then encourages us to use our own resources to resolve being stressed out.

Bonetti appears to state "the bl--ding obvious" in spelling out the need for rest, exercise, eating and sleeping well, but hey! that's why it is motivational rather than a text book.

It slots neatly into the self-help category. It is clear, easy to read and I would not hesitate to endorse it if you wish to stress less.

However, it is expensive, with even the Kindle version quite pricey.

Kensington Keyfolio Fit Universal Folio with Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard for 9" and 10" Android Tablets UK QWERTY Layout - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product - A Bit Pricey, 11 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The last bluetooth keyboard I owned (manufactured by a rival company) didn't seem to add much to my Android tablet. It was just too impractical for me to use my tablet for any kind of productivity, whether word processing or editing spreadsheets. At best that keyboard was a fiddly aid, useful only on rare occassions.

However, this tablet cover ("folio") with keyboard is a significant improvement. While a laptop or desktop computer with a standard keyboard is still better for most tasks, this provides a nice portable alternative, and with the shortcut keys I can easily jump between different programs as and when I need to.

Good points:
1. Most importantly, this has a high quality keyboard. It is easy to type, and there is no lag between key presses.
2. Useful "TapLaunch" App shortcut keys.
3. Useful music control keys.
4. Light weight.
5. The silicone holder works well.
6. Much better than another relatively expensive bluetooth keyboard I own produced by a different company.

Bad points:

1. When I first used it I didn't know how to connect it, and it didn't have any instructions (it is obvious once you know how--just hold the power button for a few seconds, then hold the bluetooth pair key for a few seconds--but at the time it wasn't obvious that I had to hold the keys for that long, or when the keyboard was on or off). I searched for a manual online and this didn't seem to have one yet, but a similar model had the same controls.
2. My tablet is a slightly odd shape so the folio doesn't close perfectly, but it is adequate and I would have the same problem with any folio.
3. It seems expensive for what it is.

Remembered for a While
Remembered for a While
by Nick Drake

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW! Amazing! Absolutely Stunning! Time Has Told Me Not to Ask for More., 7 Nov 2014
This review is from: Remembered for a While (Hardcover)
I was a little wary of this book. On the one hand it comes from the "Estate", and on the other, what more is there to know? However, as a great fan of Nick Drake, it was a good job I ordered an Amazon copy as the limited, numbered, signed copies (by Gabrielle and the author) have been delayed.

I was stunned. Absolutely amazed by it. Had an incredibly long day/week at work, have a massive migraine. I only intended to open the package and put it away to read another day. The cover is a darkish yellow, lovely texture and the tome itself quite weighty. That was the first couple of surprises, with so many lightweight books these days, filled with glossy pages of nothingness. Then I turned the cover. Delight, the inner cover is a depiction of the stripes reproduced from Nick Drake's famous poncho. Then the next thrill was the wonderful photograph of this fresh faced, youthful and very beautiful Englishman. The book commences with a copy of Nick Drake's baptismal certificate. It is fascinating, rather like intruding on someone's privacy. One's curiosity and nosiness gets the better of you, and you just have to keep turning the pages.

It is packed with previously unseen photos, letters, posters and newsclippings.

WOW!

Thank you, the Estate of Nick Drake. I am humbled and touched by your consideration in thinking of us fans of Nick Drake who can never get enough information on this brilliant and talented singer songwriter; one of the finest of his generation.

Airfix Quick Build Challenger Tank Model Kit
Airfix Quick Build Challenger Tank Model Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Technical Toy, 30 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Perfect for Junior. Lego sets are always wonderful. However, for a clever young lad between 10- 15, the really intricate kits tend to be out of the price range of the average young family.

This Airfix kit is a great alternative, and not even a poor man's Lego. It has great merit in its own right. No glue to intoxicate the user. This is a terrific technical toy for children with an engineering or military bent.

Philips LED Spotlight Light Bulb - Dimmable (GU10 4W) - Warm White
Philips LED Spotlight Light Bulb - Dimmable (GU10 4W) - Warm White

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to see an 87% energy-saving product, 30 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Great to see an 87% energy-saving product. I use these bulbs for my bedside lamp (to read all my amazon purchases in bed<g>). The bulbs never seem to last long and are quite pricey.

If I drop the lamp, quite often, that is the end of the bulb.

Whilst I have not tested the dropability factor, I am delighted to have a longer life bulb.

A 4.5 watt bulb gives the equivalent of 35W. If you are shortsighted like me, you will appreciate the focused brightness, without getting in your eyes.

Zyliss Tin Opener with Lock
Zyliss Tin Opener with Lock

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Special, 30 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I puzzled over how the magnet worked and the realised it was to be used to lift the lid. It also has a lock, so if you lift the tin in the air, it won't drop, or at least, that was the theory.

Unfortunately, as soon as I used it on a standard tin of peas, the magnet did not work, because thanks to Sod's Law, one bit of the tin lid had not been cut.

My son reminded me he had bought a sturdy tin opener from Sainsburys in Glasgow, and I had to admit, it had a more solid sturdy grip than this one.

Not sure this is worth £11.99, to be honest.

Tenore
Tenore

5.0 out of 5 stars Sings with Beauty, Expressiveness and Great Sensitivity, 15 Oct 2014
This review is from: Tenore (MP3 Download)
Jonathan Antoine sings with such beauty and sensitivity. We heard this in 'Ave Maria', 'When a Child is Born' and 'O Holy Night', for example. Truly thrilling to hear in the - then - 17/18 year old. His other great strength is in classical Italian opera, which was apparent in his stunning versions of Santa Lucia or O Sole Mio.

It is clear a great deal of thought has gone into his debut solo album. Should it be an easy listening pop opera crossover, or pure classical opera? Bravely, Jonathan has opted for the latter, which is marvellous as he has been given the unique opportunity to really really showcase. his phenomenal talent, with no expenses spared. He has already come a long way from Perhaps Love and Together, his successful albums with Charlotte. His voice range has developed, with some amazing high notes we haven't heard before. Jonathan treads a fine line between theatrical opera and "Diva!". Although Charlotte's lovely voice is missed, it is good to see them both progress as soloists.

Each track has a lush orchestral backing. My own favourite (for now) is 'Una Furtiva Lagrima', which has a melancholy piccolo, or flute, or wind instrument, chasing Jonathan's sad words, notes dancing one after each other, to stunning effect.

As another example, my heart sank when I saw 'Panus Angelicus' in the track listing as it has become somewhat of a cliche with so many dozens of cover versions, most of them, awful. However, I now love it again. Jonathan sings it with such expressiveness, beauty and sensitivity, it made me cry.

There are one or two tracks that could be called "populist" such as 'Arriverderci, Roma' and 'Love Changes Everything', for those who enjoy a maudlin singalong.

In all, a collection of songs that get better and better with each hearing.

How old did you say he was...? No! Only 19? Wow.

We truly have a new Pavarotti or a Jussi Björling. He is English,too, and also an honorary Finn, having wowed everyone at the Nordic Business Forum in Helsinki, pre-release, with yet *another* standing ovation.

The Last Town on Earth
The Last Town on Earth
by Thomas Mullen

3.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating Subject Matter, Set in the Remote Wilds, 10 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Last Town on Earth (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I started this novel and it appears to be of a fascinating subject matter, as I am interested in pathology, as well as tales of remote townships in the wilds.

My apologies, I never did get around to finishing it, but I fully intend to dig it out and give it a fair go.

So, for the time being, 3 stars. Watch this space.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14