Profile for Christina > Reviews

Airfix Quick Build Challenger Tank Model Kit
Airfix Quick Build Challenger Tank Model Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Technical Toy, 30 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Perfect for Junior. Lego sets are always wonderful. However, for a clever young lad between 10- 15, the really intricate kits tend to be out of the price range of the average young family.

This Airfix kit is a great alternative, and not even a poor man's Lego. It has great merit in its own right. No glue to intoxicate the user. This is a terrific technical toy for children with an engineering or military bent.

Philips LED GU10 4 W Spotlight Warm White Light Bulb (35 W Equivalent, Dimmable, 15,000 Hours)
Offered by Mallecom

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to see an 87% energy-saving product, 30 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Great to see an 87% energy-saving product. I use these bulbs for my bedside lamp (to read all my amazon purchases in bed<g>). The bulbs never seem to last long and are quite pricey.

If I drop the lamp, quite often, that is the end of the bulb.

Whilst I have not tested the dropability factor, I am delighted to have a longer life bulb.

A 4.5 watt bulb gives the equivalent of 35W. If you are shortsighted like me, you will appreciate the focused brightness, without getting in your eyes.

Zyliss Tin Opener with Lock
Zyliss Tin Opener with Lock

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Special, 30 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I puzzled over how the magnet worked and the realised it was to be used to lift the lid. It also has a lock, so if you lift the tin in the air, it won't drop, or at least, that was the theory.

Unfortunately, as soon as I used it on a standard tin of peas, the magnet did not work, because thanks to Sod's Law, one bit of the tin lid had not been cut.

My son reminded me he had bought a sturdy tin opener from Sainsburys in Glasgow, and I had to admit, it had a more solid sturdy grip than this one.

Not sure this is worth £11.99, to be honest.

Tenore
Tenore

5.0 out of 5 stars Sings with Beauty, Expressiveness and Great Sensitivity, 15 Oct 2014
This review is from: Tenore (MP3 Download)
Jonathan Antoine sings with such beauty and sensitivity. We heard this in 'Ave Maria', 'When a Child is Born' and 'O Holy Night', for example. Truly thrilling to hear in the - then - 17/18 year old. His other great strength is in classical Italian opera, which was apparent in his stunning versions of Santa Lucia or O Sole Mio.

It is clear a great deal of thought has gone into his debut solo album. Should it be an easy listening pop opera crossover, or pure classical opera? Bravely, Jonathan has opted for the latter, which is marvellous as he has been given the unique opportunity to really really showcase. his phenomenal talent, with no expenses spared. He has already come a long way from Perhaps Love and Together, his successful albums with Charlotte. His voice range has developed, with some amazing high notes we haven't heard before. Jonathan treads a fine line between theatrical opera and "Diva!". Although Charlotte's lovely voice is missed, it is good to see them both progress as soloists.

Each track has a lush orchestral backing. My own favourite (for now) is 'Una Furtiva Lagrima', which has a melancholy piccolo, or flute, or wind instrument, chasing Jonathan's sad words, notes dancing one after each other, to stunning effect.

As another example, my heart sank when I saw 'Panus Angelicus' in the track listing as it has become somewhat of a cliche with so many dozens of cover versions, most of them, awful. However, I now love it again. Jonathan sings it with such expressiveness, beauty and sensitivity, it made me cry.

There are one or two tracks that could be called "populist" such as 'Arriverderci, Roma' and 'Love Changes Everything', for those who enjoy a maudlin singalong.

In all, a collection of songs that get better and better with each hearing.

How old did you say he was...? No! Only 19? Wow.

We truly have a new Pavarotti or a Jussi Björling. He is English,too, and also an honorary Finn, having wowed everyone at the Nordic Business Forum in Helsinki, pre-release, with yet *another* standing ovation.

The Last Town on Earth
The Last Town on Earth
by Thomas Mullen

3.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating Subject Matter, Set in the Remote Wilds, 10 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Last Town on Earth (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I started this novel and it appears to be of a fascinating subject matter, as I am interested in pathology, as well as tales of remote townships in the wilds.

My apologies, I never did get around to finishing it, but I fully intend to dig it out and give it a fair go.

So, for the time being, 3 stars. Watch this space.

Virginia Woolf
Virginia Woolf
by Alexandra Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars A Safe Buy for Woolf Fans, 10 Oct 2014
This review is from: Virginia Woolf (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I gave this book to a friend who is a Virginia Woolf fan and it was well-received. She commented that she had just been reading a review of the book in a literary magazine.

It's a good-looking book, and, as I recall, well-illustrated.

Sorry I am not able to say more. However, Alexandra Harris appears to be a well-respected author, so should be a safe buy.

Black Rock
Black Rock
by Amanda Smyth

3.0 out of 5 stars This is a reasonably good debut novel, 10 Oct 2014
This review is from: Black Rock (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a reasonably good debut novel, although I felt some of the metaphors are overworked, in that they are obviously so.

It is set in Trinidad & Tobago. The landscape is vivid and vibrant.

I read the novel all the way through, so not bad at all!

Dynamic Fat Burner 800 mg Coffee Bean Extract with GCA Natural Weight Loss Supplement - Pack of 60 Capsules

3.0 out of 5 stars Passing Craze, or Weight Management Aid?, 10 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
See my comments for similar product Health Aid CoffeeSlim - Green Coffee Bean Extract - 60 Vegan Capsules. I have not had a chance to give this a fair trial yet and will upgrade my review when done so.

Green coffee beans caused excitement in that experiments showed they could be an effective weight control mechanism.

So, are they "just a passing craze", or a real weight management aid?

Nature Pure Potent Raspberry Ketone
Nature Pure Potent Raspberry Ketone

2.0 out of 5 stars Unscientific, synthetic, dubious value, 10 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
All raspberry ketones on the market are 100% synthetic and have never been near a raspberry.

There is no evidence they have any weight control mechanism in humans.

They are merely the unscientic product of a fashion craze, because of some animal trials.

I cannot honestly say they did anything for me.

Dynamic Fat Burner 1200 mg Raspberry Ketones Capsules - Pack of 60 Capsules
Dynamic Fat Burner 1200 mg Raspberry Ketones Capsules - Pack of 60 Capsules

2.0 out of 5 stars I have no idea if this product is good or bad, 10 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There is no scientific evidence this works for humans. The craze for raspberry ketones started when animal trials seemed to indicate they had a weigh control mechanism.

Despite its name, all raspberry ketone products on the market are 100% synthetic and have never been near a raspberry.

I have no idea if this product is good or bad. As Shakespeare would put it, thinking only makes it so.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14