Profile for Marky B > Reviews

Content by Marky B

Marky B "Marky B" (UK)

The Ridges of England, Wales and Ireland: Scrambles, Rock Climbs and Winter Routes
by Dan Bailey
Price: 13.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Next generation climbing guides!, 5 Sep 2009
I cant praise this guide enough. Fantastic detail so you set off up your route with real confidence. The author Dan Bailey has done the careful research and offered up a variety of top mountain expeditions. Quality photographs, really clear topo diagrams coupled with friendly detailed descriptions I think adds up to a new kind of guide. In the past I have set off up steep rock with pretty minimal confidence that I am in the right place. The guide provides quality rather than quantity ensuring you can have some pretty amazing days... doing routes that wouldnt be possible or as enjoyable if using a more old fashioned guide containing a few vague diagrams and a short, hazy descriptions. Its lovely also getting a greater sense of who your guide is on such days and Dan Bailey's writing reveals a passionate enthusiast.
I recently did some of the north wales routes. Using this guide I could quickly and confidently identify the route and know in some depth what was involved and if necessary how to escape! With this confidence I was able to have some incredible experiences and look forward to many more days of adventure using this book.