Profile for Chris > Reviews

Magix Music Studio 2005 Deluxe
Magix Music Studio 2005 Deluxe
Offered by Unique_Item_Bazaar

5.0 out of 5 stars Get Creative, 19 Jun. 2005
This is a great piece of software. I bought it because I was looking for a way to mix voice recordings with music tracks in detail, and by gum this really fits the bill.
I readily admit that I am not at all experienced in doing this kind of work, and so it took me a week or so to really get to grips with the basic editting and mixing tools. But now I find it all very logical to use, and have been absolutely amazed at the professional sounding results that I have acheived.
You can open a new project, import any number of tracks in any number of formats, or from external sources. Chop them, bend them, stretch them, splice them, repeat them, and basically do anything you want to them. Layer them together though arranging them on unlimited numbers of tracks, and then when you are finally happy with the result, you can save the whole thing in various popular formats to export to your MP3 player or burn them on CD.
There are plenty of functions that I dont use on this, such as mixing from external MIDI sources, or arranging and recording music from the in-board synth and drum and bass machines. Not only that, but you get a full media player as well, that rivals Winamp, and (joy of joys) is compatible with the Iriver H320.
One last snippet of praise - the program has never crashed.

Northern Exposure: Series 2 [DVD]
Northern Exposure: Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Darren E. Burrows
Offered by Helgy

4.0 out of 5 stars You just cant help but like it, 19 Jun. 2005
I admit to some bias, because I love Northern Exposure. I love the charm, the charecters, the offbeat storylines, and the relaxed approach to the whole thing.
If you have seen series one, then there is little that needs to be said about series two, other than - go ahead and buy it! The charecters, and relationships continue to develop in the typical laid back way. There are many smatterings of sublime moments, such as the annual "running of the bulls", and Ed's quest to find his father.
Watching series two, I did not find it quite as fresh as I found series one and it does seem a little self-concious at times. However, the real joy of Northern Exposure is the diversity of charecters, who all struggle with the twists and turns of life, and all support each other to see just how ridulous it all is! A decade and a half later, and I still don't think that I have seen anything on TV that matches this show in its best moments.
If you haven't seen Northern Exposure before, then check out series one, and treat yourself.

SANDISK 1GB ULTRA II SD CARD
SANDISK 1GB ULTRA II SD CARD
Offered by FLASHSUPERSTORE

5.0 out of 5 stars Faultless and superquick, 17 Jun. 2005
I am using this with my Canon Ixus 700, and it works very well indeed. - What more can you say when it does exactly what it is meant to do?
FIVE STARS

Canon Ixus 700 Digital Camera [7Mp, 3x Optical] 2.0" LCD
Canon Ixus 700 Digital Camera [7Mp, 3x Optical] 2.0" LCD

4.0 out of 5 stars great camera, 17 Jun. 2005
This is a classy compact that takes great pictures. Had it about a week, and am still amazed at the quality of the prints that it generates. Whilst performance for the usual portraits and landscapes is as good as most of the others in the same price range, Macro mode is particularly impressive, with quick focussing and no significant camera shake noticable. Just messing around in my garden I have taken some stunning shots of insects, that I would have really struggled to acheive with other cameras.
Video mode is also a very pleasant surprise. I would disagree with other reviewers who have found the quality to rival that of DV camcorders - the results are nowhere, anywhere near as good as those I get from my Sony DCR - (unless you compare them to the output of the memory stick). So dont be surprised with fuzzy picures and tinny sound - BUT my point is that considering that this is essentially a compact camera, then the quality of the video IS A REAL BONUS.
I have teamed it up with a SanDisk 1GB Ultra card, and they work very well together, and I have taken around 100 pictures and two minutes of video so far without the slightest problem, and everything works very quickly indeed.
Like the previous reviewer, I agree that the PC socket cover is pathetically flimsy, and does not feel that it will last a year. The 32mb card that comes as standard is far too small, and the lack of a case is also a shame. (Although I did actually find a very smart leather case dedicated specifically to this camera in Currys for £20).
All in all I love this camera, its very discrete, classy, and takes great photos, and relatively good video. It doesnt get five stars though for the above reasons.

Creative Zen Micro 5GB - Black
Creative Zen Micro 5GB - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Has pros and cons, 9 April 2005
Despite some problems, I still like the Zen Micros. I have bought two of them, the first one is still fine, the second had to go back due to repeated malfunctioning. I have also bought a lot of other mp3 players recently - so if you want to know how the zen compares with some of the others - then read on.
The positives are:
1. They work very well with Windows Media Player, as well as their own software. Transfering tracks, and making playlists is simple.
2. They look good, feel solid, are not too heavy and fit well into pockets
3. Once you get your stroking technique right for the slide control - the menu system is great to use.
4. Voice record is pretty good
5. You can get quite a lot on them, especially at standard bitrates
The negatives are:
1. They can be unreliable (one failed to boot up after a week)
2. Despite what other reviewers say - sound quality OK but it is NOT outstanding. This even applies if you record CDs directly onto the player at highest bit rates. Compared to the Sony NWE99 and especially the Iriver H320 the Zen does not come anywhere close. High end especially can be harsh and brittle. I say this after trying them with Sony Fontopia earphones and Senheiser 200s, as well as a variety of other earphones.
3. Battery life sucks - if you get more than 4 hrs play out of a full charge then you are doing well.

How to Hypnotize Yourself... without Losing Your Mind: A Self-hypnosis Training Program for Students and Educators
by Wayne F. Perkins

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful, 9 April 2005
Wayne F. Perkins is a man who likes to big himself up in typical American style. Likewise this book is written in the kind of annoyingly tacky, hard-sell common to American consumerism. However, do not let this put you off, because once you get past the facade, and ego-trip, this is actually an extremely useful book. I bought it about five months ago, and have been working my way through the lessons and projects at a leisurely pace - And you know what - it has really begun to transform my life!
One of the early lessons invites you to set and record a good number of goals to work on. The author then shows you how to record self-hypnotic inductions, and then to formulate your own suggestions to apply to yourself in order to change your thinking and behaviour in order to accomplish your goals. It's not magic, but it works, and it works well. For the first time in my life, I feel that my mind and my energies are properly focused on acheiving what I want in life, in a natural and effective way. This includes building my confidence, and self-esteem, as well as passing a masters degree, improving my martial arts skills, and strengthening my relationship with my wife (to name but a few).
One thing that you will need, is a method of recording your voice. This is in order to record your inductions and play them back your to hypnotise yourself. I would thouroughly recommend one of the MP3 players such as a Zen Micro, or if your budget and computer skills stretches to it the Iriver H320. But anything that allows you to do this will do.
The book is easy to read, and understand, and most of the lessons are fairly straightforward. There is also the authors website you can use as a resource and encouragement - although I have since found other ones that suit me better. Furthermore, there are a few books by other authors available through Amazon that give further perspectives and inspiration for writing your own hypnotic scripts.
All in all, this book is a little tacky, but if you seriously want to use self-hypnosis to improve your life - buy it!

Creative MuVo TX 256MB with FM Radio
Creative MuVo TX 256MB with FM Radio

4.0 out of 5 stars Best in its class, 21 Mar. 2005
I have bought a lot of mp3 players over the last couple of months. In my opinion, these are the best ones you are going to get for this kind of money. I have bought two now, and they are both still working just fine, after regular use - which is more than I can say for one of the others.
The MuVos are light, small, and very easy to load with music via Windows Media Player. Their sound is passable, and improved with Sony Fontopia earphones, although they remain a bit harsh in the high end reproduction. Radio reception is good - much better in fact than the Creative Zen Micro for some strange reason. The voice record function is also acceptable quality.
The menu system is easy to use once you get the hang of it. The controls feel a bit cheap and cheerful (but work just fine). My main criticism is that it can be difficult producing playlists, as the tracks play in order of their official track numbers on the CD rather than in the order you arrange them. It might be that I should have used the Creative Media software, rather than Windows MP, but the only way to rectify this was to go into the folder via My Computer and to rename the tracks with different numbers so that they would be organised in the order I wanted them.
Apart from that, these are the best for the money. If you want to go up a notch or two, then I would recommend the Sony Network Walkman E99 if you want high quality sound, or the Zen Micro if you want capacity and ease of use.

Is You Is
Is You Is
Offered by music-center

5.0 out of 5 stars sheer class, 21 Mar. 2005
This review is from: Is You Is (Audio CD)
This is one very smooth, sophisticated, and great sounding album. Superbly crafted, with a perfect balance of quality musicianship, vocal talent, and modern programming. It just signals sheer class from the first listening, and does not wear thin over repeated plays.
If you like nujazz, then treat yourself to this. It has a smokey, oily and slightly disheveled flavour to it, mixed with a very contemporary vibe. Coming from the Sonar Kollectiv stable, you know its going to be good, but this has got to be one of their real jewels.

Charley Says... The Best Public Information Films In The World [1970] [DVD]
Charley Says... The Best Public Information Films In The World [1970] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Various
Offered by Qoolist

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are in the mood for some quality nostalgia.........., 21 Mar. 2005
I am not a fan of Christmas, but the highlight of this one was sitting down and watching this DVD which some kind soul had given me. I totally enjoyed it.
If you grew up during the sixties and seventies when these public information films were being screened regularly on TV, then be prepared to be transported back to that time. Just like hearing an old song that reminds you of times back-along, these short sketches have the same effect. Moreso in some ways, as it is highly unlikely that you will have totally forgotten about Charley the Cat and all of his very strange adventures.
All the old favourites are there, even the ones that you may never have seen, will stir some chord. As they impart the Flavour of that era, and leave you reflecting on how much things have changed.

Adventure (Imagination Reality)
Adventure (Imagination Reality)
by Richard Latham
Edition: Audio CD

3.0 out of 5 stars Different, 11 Mar. 2005
This cd contains four guided meditations, that each include a relaxing induction, then suggested visualisations and quite good sound effects, followed by a period of quiet to allow you to do your own thing.
Is it a wonderful, profound, inspiring meditation and personal growth tool? ...........Well - it doesnt really do it for me.
I find Glen Harrold or Nick Kemps cds reaches spots that this one does not.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 1, 2010 9:06 PM BST