Profile for DC > Reviews

DC (UK)

Seagate Barracuda Low Power Hard Drive, 2 TB, SATA, 5900 RPM, 32MB Cache
Seagate Barracuda Low Power Hard Drive, 2 TB, SATA, 5900 RPM, 32MB Cache

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent drive, 27 Nov. 2010
I'm very happy with this drive and I would buy another if I had the need for it. So good, I'm tempted to buy another anyway.

As far as read speeds are concerned, it is actually faster than my 1.5GB 7200rpm drive (which I bought about a year ago and is not a Seagate) by around 15MB/s.

Do the drives get as hot as other models? For once, it's not advetising hype. I often need to swap a disk in my PC after it has been on for several hours, and usually they are far too hot to touch with bare fingers. But I have found that I can remove the low power Seagate drive straight after shutdown without any problems.

Given the capacity it is exceptional value for the price (at the time of writing).

Epson Stylus SX610FW All In One Printer (Individual Inks, Integrated Wi-fi, Fax and ADF)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but far from perfect, 26 Aug. 2010
Printer - photo prints are excellent as long as you use Epson glossy photo paper. Tried using HP paper and each photo had the same striped markings (presumably from the roller that carries the paper through the printer) - this paper worked well in my old Epson Picturemate.

Scanner - scanned images are reasonable but not as good as those produced by the Epson V500 scanner.
Also, anything thicker than (approx.) 1cm and the lid doesn't close flat.
The ADF is a complete waste of space. Documents that are smaller than A4 can become distorted and the slightest bit of dirt on the scanner glass can cause streaks in the scan result, noticable more in photos. Glad I didn't buy this printer especially for it.

Both printer and scanner work perfectly well over the wireless network, though not as fast as using a USB cable. Network setup was painless and took less than 2 minutes to input the settings manually.
The "Scan to PC" feature only works over USB.

Memory cards inserted into the reader can be made accessible to a connected PC over USB or a network share. You can also plug in a USB stick (formatted as FAT32).

One point to note is that this printer can use the high capacity ink cartridges - T1001, T1002, T1003 and T1004 (multipack T1006) instead of the "recommended" cartridges that come with the printer. I believe standard capacity black cartridges (T0711) have approx 7ml of ink whereas the high capacity T1001 has 25.9ml).

Overall, an excellent photo printer using Epson paper and an acceptable scanner. Just forget the ADF.