Profile for Sephy > Reviews

The After - Season 1
The After - Season 1
Dvd

4.0 out of 5 stars More please x, 31 May 2014
It was good. Need i say more? Apparently i need to write an essay to click the feedback stars. erm.. more blimmin more words required...more... yawn. Stupid rules ...

Ju Rei: Uncanny [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Ju Rei: Uncanny [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by EliteDigital UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Ghost Story, 6 Jun. 2012
After seeing only 1 review giving it such a low score I felt compelled to stand up for this movie.
I too am a massive Asian horror fan searching mainly for ghost stories. Budget matters not to me if the film-makers are talented at story telling. I personally liked the ghosts very much in this film and am now purchasing this story.

As a previous reviewer stated, the story works backwards from chapter 10 and keeps you on your toes making you remember the events before as you find out why they were occurring later on. I found it all rather refreshing as this film contains more ghost scenes and more different ghosts than most films of this genre.

A break from format ghost films is like a holiday for the mind, this one doesn't disappoint.

If you want a film with a good atmosphere, multiple ghosts, no strict format, subtitles and a bit of using your brain then this is it.

I give it 9/10.

Fallout: New Vegas (Xbox 360)
Fallout: New Vegas (Xbox 360)
Offered by Bridge_Records

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Fallout 3, 7 July 2011
Short, repetative, boring in places, small and very very bugged out! It would crash between 5 and ten times in one session, sooooooo annoying!(Just so you know, my 360 is working perfectly.)
Missions suck, endless fetching and carrying. Exploration was pretty naff, the area size is diminished by the enormous river up the East side along with endless empty space.
On top of that all of the quirky things you would discover on Bethesda's classic game are practically non-existant here.
I completed it and knew I would never play this again. I couldn't wait to start Fallout 3 again, it is so much better, although also very buggy unfortunately.
I've been playing Fallout 3 every day this week and apart from constantly wishing I could forget the events of the first play through, I am loving every second.
New Vegas is an add on and should have defifinately been priced as such. Cheap and nasty.
New Vegas is a wannabe..it's so off the mark it's painful. Boo.

Walking the Dead [DVD]
Walking the Dead [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ted Biggs
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Forbidden Siren, 31 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Walking the Dead [DVD] (DVD)
I wanted a film that reminded me of the Forbidden Siren Games, and I almost got it....almost. This movie is far better than the actual movie of the games.
Walking the dead is set in a very lovely looking Chinese town, unusual in it's design, somewhat Western looking buildings with a Chinese twang.
Although low budget and not really that horrifying, I found this movie to be very enthralling. It's slow witted inhabitants, the remnants of a dead town kept alive with the practice of 'Walking the Dead'. Masters of this art are the only ones capable of this feat. The idea was that the dead would need to be taken home for burial so the master would 'Walk the Dead' back to their hometowns to their families. Things were taken too far here and an American reporter bent on regaining his reputation arrives to investigate the mysterious claims of a local who wished for the truth to be told.
So close to being a fantastic supernatural offering, let down by a low budget and questionable actors.
Cinematography is good and storyline interesting enough to keep me going, Walking the Dead is on me shelf with a 6/10.

Sky High [DVD]
Sky High [DVD]
Dvd ~ RyŻhei Kitamura
Offered by filmrollen

3.0 out of 5 stars Kitamura Manga Live!, 31 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Sky High [DVD] (DVD)
Manga lovers should give Kitamura a chance.
Sky High is about those who are killed and reach a place that offers them the chance to go on and be re-incarnated or haunt the world in search of the truth, mainly that which killed them.
Ok I am biased toward Ryuhei Kitamura, since his awesome movie Versus. Many people miss the point of his films, he is simply trying to make Live Manga movies and he does an ok job. I do actually wish they were a bit better, they can be a little weak, but other offerings in this field are sooooo much worse.
Sky High is quite a typical Manga storyline and apart from the main girl character being quite hopeless at fighting, it really is quite a good offering of the genre.
I look forward to seeing Sky High 2.
I also recommend his movies:
'Versus' Zombies vs Yakuza in the Forest of Resurrection;
'Alive' a sci-fi set inside a large prison room experiment in which 2 inmates have to co-habit peacefully.
'Aragami', also set in 1 room, a beautiful ancient Japanese Temple in the mountains inhabited by an ancient demon.
For other manga novel, live movie offerings, try out Higuchinskey's 'Uzumaki' and 'The Long Dream'. Both surreal takes on famous Manga novels. More More More!

Splinter [DVD]
Splinter [DVD]
Dvd ~ Shea Whigham

5.0 out of 5 stars Like watching Carpenter's "The Thing" for the very first time!, 10 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Splinter [DVD] (DVD)
This is a fantastic movie, comparing it to The Thing is only happening because there really nothing else around good enough to compare it to, meaning it's really quite special. It comes from a very different angle. The thing has a cast of maybe 10 people getting picked off one by one, whereas this movie only has a couple making it more like the survival horror games that I covet so much.

I found it to be original, very tense, cringe-worthy, gory, frightening and leaves you asking many questions. The characters are very good and acting excellent.

This is definately my "film of the year", having rented soooooo many this year, this film outshines everything. 10/10!!!!

The Haunting [DVD]
The Haunting [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ana Torrent
Offered by Qoolist

5.0 out of 5 stars Jesuit secrets spawn a terrible evil, 9 Dec. 2010
This review is from: The Haunting [DVD] (DVD)
The Haunting, set in an excellent creepy house formerly used as a school by Jesuit priests is rented to a doctor and her husband and 4 month old baby. The doc is under psychiatric care and to begin with it seems obvious that this new home , very cut off from everyone else, is the perfect retreat to recover, from what? you learn about this as the film progresses. As you would expect, creepy things begin to happen as this is a supernatural movie, the build up is very well paced and the clues are really very interesting. One thing I most enjoyed about it though was the cinematography and very interesting uses of projector film effects. Strong acting throughout, interesting characters and storyline and excellent ghostly moments. (One particular scene made me think about The Dark Hour, another excellent Spanish horror movie.)

I just rented this on the plot synopsis and was already biased towards foreign horror movies as (as everyone knows already) America is only capable of remakes and very predictable format storylines.
This film is a solid supernatural thriller, not a gore fest but a thinking persons mystery with an excellent atmosphere that stayed with me afterwards. Also contains hints of what I most liked about the game Project Zero (Fatal Frame). I am always looking for movies like that. Thank you Spain for being original film-makers again. 10/10.

The Horde [DVD] (2009)
The Horde [DVD] (2009)
Dvd ~ Claude Perron
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 8 Dec. 2010
This review is from: The Horde [DVD] (2009) (DVD)
I just love this, twisted, cool, tense, gory, not American, all of my favourite ingredients.
I watched it twice already and will buy it soon. 9/10
I was lucky enough to have rented this and "Seige of the dead" (German)on the same night, both excellent sensible and unique foreign zombie movies!

The Blackout [DVD] [2009]
The Blackout [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Robert David Sanders
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars It's actually not that bad, 8 Dec. 2010
This review is from: The Blackout [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I thought this movie was alright. I was slighty put off by some of the iffy actors to start with but the fx were excellent. I didn't know what to expect and was quite surprised, if you like stand alone interesting Sci Fi then this is for you. I have watched it twice and am planning to buy it. Imminantly on me shelf 7/10

Zombie Virus On Mulberry Street [DVD] [2007]
Zombie Virus On Mulberry Street [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Nick Damici
Offered by Wowudo

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 24 Sept. 2010
I wasn't taken by the rat people thing to begin with. I almost didn't rent it, it is a stupid idea. It actually turned out to be quite good and pretty scary. Still wish it were zombies, but there are a lot of Zombie movies around nowadays, so it was kinda' cool to see something different. Pace was good, characters interesting (in an ordinary sort of way). Good acting all round. I liked the fact it was a lower budget movie too. The director also wrote, edited, produced music and his family members were also a big part of production. I think it makes it a better movie when they have to try harder to make it. Visual effects were excellent too, Well done! 9/10

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7