Profile for I. Craig > Reviews

Dragon's Tomb
Dragon's Tomb
by Mr Jack Thomas Craig

5.0 out of 5 stars Inventive, 23 Aug 2013
This review is from: Dragon's Tomb (Paperback)
I've played a few of these books, and I've found that they can be anywhere between far too complex (or impossible) or just plain-old dull. This book wisely treads the middle line. I have to track my progress in these games carefully, as I do like to explore options that seem downright suicidal: there's entertainment to be found in springing gruesome traps and Jack has invented quite a few of those.

Just One Damned Thing After Another (The Chronicles of St Mary's Book 1)
Just One Damned Thing After Another (The Chronicles of St Mary's Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done Jodi, 17 July 2013
Rushed of my feet from the start! There are no quiet moments in this book. Got a little lost in plot deviousness - but, as I get older, I'm kind of used to that. I'd just finished reading a bunch of Ben Bova's, and this little gem was the right tonic.

Nilfisk Patio Cleaner Plus
Nilfisk Patio Cleaner Plus

3.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but better than nothing, 14 Feb 2013
My Nilfisk compact cleaner broke (I'd kicked it in frustration, as it kept jamming - an explosion of plastic), so I bought a bigger one in the hope that it would be better: it wasn't - but I learned a trick. The cleaner jams (much more often) if you allow too much water to build up underneath it. Resist all temptation to scrub a particlarly difficult dirty patch, and progress on instead. Come back later and have another go with another pass. A Friday afternoon job, if ever I saw one; this design should not have got beyond prototype.

Redliners
Redliners

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 16 Jan 2013
This review is from: Redliners (Kindle Edition)
Like all books I've enjoyed, it had to end. Davide Drake had lots of opportunities in this book for rather obvious plots, but he seemed to dance around and do something unexpected each time. Well done.

Darksiders (PC DVD)
Darksiders (PC DVD)
Offered by gameworld121

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm too old, 9 Nov 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Darksiders (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Even in easy mode this game is difficult to complete. It would be nice if these games could be more adaptable to the abilities of the player.

Containment
Containment

4.0 out of 5 stars I finished it, 8 Nov 2012
This review is from: Containment (Kindle Edition)
I like Sci-Fi, but I tend to download free/cheap books with a lack of caution. Somehow this book was included and I found there wasn't a laser gun or warp engine in sight. The novel drew me on, in slow burn fashion, and never really did what I was expecting (well, I was expecting laser guns). The book reaches a climax, and then seems to finish in a manner similar to how I would end my stories at school when my teacher would insist that break-time would be used to complete our work (a-ha, warp factor 10! I'm home.)

The Fourth Law
The Fourth Law

4.0 out of 5 stars Always grateful, 8 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Fourth Law (Kindle Edition)
I love reading free Amazon books. Since I bought my Kindle, I've read more, from more authors, than ever before. Quite frankly, the money I used to spend on individual books seems beyond silly. I'm not expecting the best books ever, but I do hope that I am entertained till the end of the book; and that's what I got here - and for free. The story rocks along, allowing me to pick up and put down the Kindle whenever I needed to. With only one major item (anti-gravity aside) that threw a spanner into my brain, I'm happy.

South: The Story of Shackleton's 1914-1917 Expedition
South: The Story of Shackleton's 1914-1917 Expedition

4.0 out of 5 stars Read the book, watch the movie, 17 July 2012
While the e-book is a reasonable read, it loses touch because context is lost. You really need to print out some maps, and try and follow the adventure on them - and that's the weakness of a Kindle: they don't make good text books. The 'Aurora' adventure is probably the most to benefit from the use of a map, as they go all over the place; while Shackleton drifts along the coast on an ice-flow. I never knew there were so many names for types of ice and snow! I did finish the book - sort of: I skip read the 'science' section at the back.

Anyway, the final treat is that Shackleton made a silent film of the expedition (just the Endurance part). I saw the restored 1919 version with a more modern commentary. It's pretty cool to see the men and sledge-dogs walking around, and watch the wrecking of Endurance. I don't remember mention of a stowaway in the book. Google Maps have an interior picture of a hut used by Shackleton's men - probably the 'Aurora' team in this book.

So: read the book, but not in isolation (as I did). Use the internet to track the progress - perhaps even pace your viewing of the documentary to match your progress in the book.

Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Graphite
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Graphite

2.0 out of 5 stars Not family friendly, 9 Mar 2012
I've had my own Kindle for nearly a year. It's been great. I've stopped buying really expensive books, as I now realise they are just plain silly. Cheap self-published books are (mostly!) brilliant.

However, my faith in Kindle has just been rocked. I've just bought my wife a Kindle, and I'm faced with two options (not that Amazon spell it out that way): 1) let my wife register her Kindle against her Amazon account and have the electronic equivalent of the Berlin wall (in the bad times) between us, or 2) register her Kindle on my Amazon account. Sharing Amazon accounts is awkward; privacy, security and payment mechanisms become very significant.

Apparently we can loan books between each other says Amazon in the headlines of their web-pages. Oh no we can't says the fine print.

It's really annoying when copyright issues mess up sharing within a family. My kids get no end of grief trying to share games (within our home), and it turns out that the Kindle is no different. I know it's simple to assume we are all lonely individuals, but it's not how it works. Perhaps there are too many young single smarty-pants running around Amazon who have no idea of what a family is.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 11, 2012 12:23 PM GMT

Hellhole
Hellhole
by Kevin J. Anderson

2.0 out of 5 stars Warning: First book in a series, 28 Feb 2011
This review is from: Hellhole (Hardcover)
Before you buy this book, be aware that it is the first part of a series. There is no mention of this fact on or in the book, or on the Amazon product description either. It's a dirty trick, as I don't like reading a story until it's published completely.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 4, 2011 7:03 PM BST