Profile for I. Craig > Reviews

I. Craig

Page: 1 | 2
Vango Alto 40 Hiking Backpack
Vango Alto 40 Hiking Backpack

5.0 out of 5 stars really liked how I could access the bottom of the sack ..., 2 April 2015
Used mine as a daysack for 100 mile walk across Offa's Dyke (north). It didn't rain much. I really, really liked how I could access the bottom of the sack so easily - in fact, given that the top of the sack has two clips and two drawstrings, it was easier going in through the bottom than the top! My back usually gets quite sweaty with other packs, but not with this one - it's wonderful when the wind blows through the air gap. I also own a Lowe Alpine AirZone Pro 65:45 - used by my son (and he was happy) on the same walk - but I prefer the Vango: it's lighter and (I'm quite chunky) the straps don't pinch my armpits. Just need somewhere to hold my phone and earphones (the Lowe does well on that one). 40L is a good size for a daysack - you don't have to fill it, but it is nice to have room if it turns out hot and you have to shed all those layers.

Sonic-Connect2- Email Alerter- UK Version
Sonic-Connect2- Email Alerter- UK Version

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 29 Oct. 2014
It no longer supports Skype. See [...] (near the bottom of the page)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 21, 2014 1:01 PM GMT

Dragon's Tomb
Dragon's Tomb
by Mr Jack Thomas Craig

5.0 out of 5 stars Inventive, 23 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Dragon's Tomb (Paperback)
I've played a few of these books, and I've found that they can be anywhere between far too complex (or impossible) or just plain-old dull. This book wisely treads the middle line. I have to track my progress in these games carefully, as I do like to explore options that seem downright suicidal: there's entertainment to be found in springing gruesome traps and Jack has invented quite a few of those.

Just One Damned Thing After Another (The Chronicles of St Mary's Book 1)
Just One Damned Thing After Another (The Chronicles of St Mary's Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done Jodi, 17 July 2013
Rushed of my feet from the start! There are no quiet moments in this book. Got a little lost in plot deviousness - but, as I get older, I'm kind of used to that. I'd just finished reading a bunch of Ben Bova's, and this little gem was the right tonic.

Nilfisk Patio Cleaner Plus
Nilfisk Patio Cleaner Plus
Offered by LOVEDIY

3.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but better than nothing, 14 Feb. 2013
My Nilfisk compact cleaner broke (I'd kicked it in frustration, as it kept jamming - an explosion of plastic), so I bought a bigger one in the hope that it would be better: it wasn't - but I learned a trick. The cleaner jams (much more often) if you allow too much water to build up underneath it. Resist all temptation to scrub a particlarly difficult dirty patch, and progress on instead. Come back later and have another go with another pass. A Friday afternoon job, if ever I saw one; this design should not have got beyond prototype.

Redliners
Redliners

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 16 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Redliners (Kindle Edition)
Like all books I've enjoyed, it had to end. Davide Drake had lots of opportunities in this book for rather obvious plots, but he seemed to dance around and do something unexpected each time. Well done.

Darksiders (PC DVD)
Darksiders (PC DVD)
Offered by GeeksWholesaler

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm too old, 9 Nov. 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Darksiders (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Even in easy mode this game is difficult to complete. It would be nice if these games could be more adaptable to the abilities of the player.

Containment
Containment

4.0 out of 5 stars I finished it, 8 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Containment (Kindle Edition)
I like Sci-Fi, but I tend to download free/cheap books with a lack of caution. Somehow this book was included and I found there wasn't a laser gun or warp engine in sight. The novel drew me on, in slow burn fashion, and never really did what I was expecting (well, I was expecting laser guns). The book reaches a climax, and then seems to finish in a manner similar to how I would end my stories at school when my teacher would insist that break-time would be used to complete our work (a-ha, warp factor 10! I'm home.)

The Fourth Law
The Fourth Law

4.0 out of 5 stars Always grateful, 8 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The Fourth Law (Kindle Edition)
I love reading free Amazon books. Since I bought my Kindle, I've read more, from more authors, than ever before. Quite frankly, the money I used to spend on individual books seems beyond silly. I'm not expecting the best books ever, but I do hope that I am entertained till the end of the book; and that's what I got here - and for free. The story rocks along, allowing me to pick up and put down the Kindle whenever I needed to. With only one major item (anti-gravity aside) that threw a spanner into my brain, I'm happy.

South: The Story of Shackleton's 1914-1917 Expedition
South: The Story of Shackleton's 1914-1917 Expedition

4.0 out of 5 stars Read the book, watch the movie, 17 July 2012
While the e-book is a reasonable read, it loses touch because context is lost. You really need to print out some maps, and try and follow the adventure on them - and that's the weakness of a Kindle: they don't make good text books. The 'Aurora' adventure is probably the most to benefit from the use of a map, as they go all over the place; while Shackleton drifts along the coast on an ice-flow. I never knew there were so many names for types of ice and snow! I did finish the book - sort of: I skip read the 'science' section at the back.

Anyway, the final treat is that Shackleton made a silent film of the expedition (just the Endurance part). I saw the restored 1919 version with a more modern commentary. It's pretty cool to see the men and sledge-dogs walking around, and watch the wrecking of Endurance. I don't remember mention of a stowaway in the book. Google Maps have an interior picture of a hut used by Shackleton's men - probably the 'Aurora' team in this book.

So: read the book, but not in isolation (as I did). Use the internet to track the progress - perhaps even pace your viewing of the documentary to match your progress in the book.

Page: 1 | 2