Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (Waterlooville, Hants United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Daughter of the Forest: Book 1 of the Sevenwaters Trilogy
Daughter of the Forest: Book 1 of the Sevenwaters Trilogy
by Juliet Marillier

5.0 out of 5 stars First fantasy I ever really loved..., 11 Jun 2010
realise that there are already over 40 reviews for this book. So I can venture everything about it has been said. Never the less, this review itself is personal to me because...

This is the first Fantasy book I have ever loved.

I tend to creep away from traditional fantasy, the sight of a well detailed map of a made-up world from the moment I open the book is more than enough to put me off. I hated the dutiful prose about binding, magic and lawful presence. I hated the static-ness of it all. The padding, the overlong descriptions. The flatness of the characters and the small crampy text printed in darkened print.

I realise not all Fantasy books are like this, some are actullay quite good apparently and maybe I only tasted the bad apples. But my love of the genre was not glowing, even in my twenties. I still failed to connect to it. My love lay more in sci-fi.

So when someone recommended me 'Daughter of the Forest' on this site, I was a little guarded. But I saw that the book wasn't set in some made-up world but my own. My own country, actullay. It was set in the past and was based off a Fairy tale I knew quite well (my love of Gregory Maguire came into this).

This book is long, but nothing is dragged, everything is paced out to flesh out characters. No encounter is pointless. Reading about the seven brothers and their differances was interesting. The main character describes things with a freshness that is subtle enough to take up tons of pages. I love the fact that the author makes observations about people rather then simply describes the area around them. Her style was very easy to get into. I shall be seeking out more of her works--thats for sure.

Big Fat Manifesto
Big Fat Manifesto
by Susan Vaught

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 11 Jun 2010
This review is from: Big Fat Manifesto (Hardcover)
This is a book about being fat. And living in a society that worships thin.

Making people aware of the unfairness suffered by overweight people is her goal. She is also hoping her top-notch journalistic efforts will help her win the National Feature Award which could earn her a fully paid college education.

From the word go, the main character 'Fat Girl' aka Jamie, proudly shines her 'fatness' at the reader like a blinding sunbeam inviting you to accept her for what she is. My sister commented that she found the main character arrogant, I did as well. I found myself agreeing with everything she said, arguging with her, debating the things she threw at me, feeling her distress, being impressed by her interlect and wondering how I would be if I were her size.

The story is divided into Jamie's POV and her FAT GIRL news snipits, where she candidly reveals her throughts on unfairness suffered by overweight people.

This story would not have been so stunning if it weren't for the main character's large (pardon the pun) personlity. Jamie is bubbling with energy, wit, sharpness and emotion--not just her but the characters surronding her as well.

This book also taught me a lot about Gastric Bypass surgery. Before of which I knew nothing. Vital reading

Kobato, Vol 1
Kobato, Vol 1
by Clamp

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet, 11 Jun 2010
This review is from: Kobato, Vol 1 (Paperback)
This reflects CLAMPS eariler works, particulary CHOBITS. The story is nice for anyone who is into Japanese festivals. I'm also glad they decided to have a little romance with older protagnists. The story is sweet, charming and funny and while it doesn't get too carried away with plot, there are still things lurking on the surface. This is the type of manga CLAMP writes well.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 23, 2010 12:17 PM BST

Tsubasa, Volume 26 (Reservoir Chronicles Tsubasa)
Tsubasa, Volume 26 (Reservoir Chronicles Tsubasa)
by CLAMP

3.0 out of 5 stars Tsubasa darker and stranger..,., 11 Jun 2010
The art is beautiful as always, but the main troubles stem from over complication. CLAMP books are ussually quite simple, so it is strange that tsubasa tries to be as plot twisting and complex as possible. It may be something I am not getting, or something lost in the translation. Still enjoyable, but doesn't carry the strength of the eariler volumes.

Urawaza: Secret Everyday Tips and Tricks from Japan
Urawaza: Secret Everyday Tips and Tricks from Japan
by Lisa Katayama

4.0 out of 5 stars Never stops being handy!, 11 Jun 2010
I would recommend this book to just about anyone, but I think it makes for a fantastic house warming gift, specially if you have a friend who is very into the whole green thing. The tricks in it are useful and save money. I tried a few myself. My copy has been well used.

Only reason it doesn't get five stars is because I wish it were longer. Every house should have this book!

This Time for Keeps
This Time for Keeps
by Dee Williams

4.0 out of 5 stars A cozy read..., 8 Jun 2009
This review is from: This Time for Keeps (Hardcover)
A romantic story which dives deep into the history of the land girls army and the devasting effects of the Second World War. The book tells the story of a young woman Babs, whose parents were tragically killed in a bombing raid over London. Babs is sent away to work in the country, as a Land Girl--for the time being, she finds her place in the world. But with the war drawing to a close, Babs must decide what to do with her life (after all, she can't stay with her older sister forever!) and she faces a difficult choice...

When the war takes another loved one from her...Babs realises her life will never be the same...

This is a charming 'British realist-kitchen sink' story, narrating the closing years of the second World War. Heartfelt drama and tissues recommended. Another classic from Dee Williams.

Ouran High School Host Club - Series 1 Part 1 (eps 1-13) [2006] [DVD]
Ouran High School Host Club - Series 1 Part 1 (eps 1-13) [2006] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Takuya Igarashi

5.0 out of 5 stars Nutty and a little sweet, 11 May 2009
13 eps on one dvd for such a low price, but is this anime any good? I have been waiting for it for ages to come out on dvd and was not disapointed. Fruits Basket fans will see several nods to their favorite anime in this one--this anime manages to poke fun at several shojoesque sterotypes while not going to over the top. The anime moves at a slice of life pace, there is a plot--but, like Fruits Basket, its mostly character driven--not quite as dramatic-but it has its bittersweet moments too.

While the juicy fat 15 rating is there for a good reason (mainly due to *pretend* twincest, implied adult themes, etc), the comedy is lighthearted and fluffy. Recommended.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 8 Volume 4: Time Of Your Life (Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Dark Horse))
by Andy Owens

5.0 out of 5 stars The future is here..., 11 May 2009
Obviously, you will enjoy this book more if you have already read (and if you haven't, I highly suggest you do!) the awesome graphic novel Fray (also by Whedon), but if you haven't, this volume will still make sense. I love the artwork in this volume, its so crisp looking and the dialogue, as always is fresh and lively. This is possibly, so far--my favorite of the Season 8 graphic novel runs, as it brings a shocking delevopment to the plot all wrapped up in several (including one massive) beautiful little sniplits that will delight and disturb Buffy fans.

Reading Fray first is a MUST DO before reading this book, as all the little refrences and the beauty of the Fray characters will capture will your heart and make this book extra special for you.

Honey and Clover: v. 3 (Honey & Clover)
Honey and Clover: v. 3 (Honey & Clover)
by Chica Umino

5.0 out of 5 stars A ride and a half..., 19 April 2009
Honey and Clover doesn't have much of a plot, its too busy being funny and jumping around to other characters and their 'life mishaps' to really have a structered narrative. As the first volume dictates, its all about the journey along the way--thats the best way to describe this manga. Enjoy the ride!

Otomen: v. 1
Otomen: v. 1
by Aya Kanno

4.0 out of 5 stars Shojo with a differnace, 19 April 2009
This review is from: Otomen: v. 1 (Paperback)
You don't see many shojos with a male protagnist, in fact its considered a no-no. So I had to buy this, I was impressed by its comedy. The main character's love of girlish things does not make him 'girlish' guy character, as one would fear. The characters are three dimensional and their personlities and attitudes to life are strong.

The artwork is also amazing.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 21, 2009 1:40 PM BST