Profile for Dannyboy123 > Reviews

Dannyboy123

Doom (PC DVD)
Doom (PC DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars A big middle finger to the modern shooter., 15 May 2016
This review is from: Doom (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
So after a solid 7 to 8 hours playing through the campaign I think I've seen enough to justify giving a rating to this.

First things first to PC gamers, be prepared when buying a physical copy. The dvd contains a fraction of the actual game, the remaining 40gb will need to be downloaded via steam, a bit of a pain in the ass if like me your internet connection isn't the best and you were hoping for a quick install and play. However anyone who complains about having to install "something called Steam" on your pc, frankly you're about 12 years behind on modern pc gaming.

So in relation to the game itself. If you're expecting variety, an engaging philosophical narrative or a game so rich with features and ideas it makes you rethink the definition of a classic, this game is not meant for you. From the moment you put on your armour, smash a computer terminal and step out into the UAC facility the game is pure balls to the wall action. Your "objectives" are usually nothing more than finding a way to progress from A to B and killing everything that gets in your way. You'll need to destroy gore nests, and additional little things along the way but 90% of the time it's straight up running and gunning.

Is it repetitive? At times yes, but that's what the game is designed to be like, it's a homage to the simpler old school days of shooters right down to finding blue or yellow keycards, finding secret areas and having that sheer childish joy at finding a bigger more powerful gun every few stages. If you buy this knowing exactly what to expect, it's insanely fun and will leave you with a non stop grin that extends from ear to ear. In an age of shooters dominated by COD and several clones of it, there's not much else out there quite like it. It's designed to be a pure run and kill experience, if you stop still during a firefight or group attack you'll die, if you don't seek out health, you'll die, if you don't react with speed and precision, you'll die. In later stages the game becomes quite merciless, throwing several varieties of enemy at the same time meaning quite frequently you'll be scrambling desperately to try and fight everything off. It's challenging but it's also more importantly incredibly satisfying and each group attack leaves you feeling like an ancient, unstoppable badass. What really seals this however is the combat which is hands down the most fun I've experienced in a shooter for a long time. The weapons each have a nice kick to them which will leave you choosing between all of them quite frequently (the double shotty is my personal fav) but the glory kills are what truly seal the deal here, shooting and smashing your way through waves of enemies before ripping off their arms and smacking them with them or cutting their throats with their own tooth that you just ripped out of their head is ridiculously brilliant. Not to mention it's been a seriously long time since I had to watch my health bar in combat and I love it. Yes you get health back from enemies after you glory kill them but anyone who's irked by that is in my opinion missing the point, you can't do a COD and hide till you get full health again, and sometimes there are no health packs around to pick up, it means regardless of your current level you have to go through the enemies and actually "fight for your life" Each encounter is quite literally a battle to stay alive.

The only things that seem to have been added to the old format that this is aiming to replicate are things like weapon and armour upgrades. I had feared these would feel lost in the game and might seem quite a bizarre add on to the games otherwise gun-ho approach. It actually works very well, rewarding you with some superb weapon additions and mods as well as letting you choose things to benefit your preferred play style.

In regards to the pc version ID software have thankfully not made this a pure console port and stayed true to their pc roots by allowing you to customise several elements of the visuals and performance meaning regardless of your rigs horsepower you should be able to get a solid experience from customising here and there. However even on low settings the game looks lovely and treats you to a visceral hellish experience that doesn't feel cheated compared to higher settings (although if you can ramp it up to ultra, do so, it looks truly fantastic)

Overall, if you pick this up expecting a merciless, frantic, shooting experience that doesn't aim to reinvent the wheel but just serve as a reminder of when shooters were far more simpler yet memorable, you won't be disappointed. Some will find it repetitive after a while but me personally, I've enjoyed every second of it and it's reignited my love of DOOM in a way I haven't felt since playing the original over 20 years ago. It's a big middle finger to the modern shooter, and I for one couldn't be more thrilled to welcome it back.

EDIT: Have now finished the main campaign, clocking in at around 12 hours long and it's still a solid 5/5 from me. This game was truly a blast from beginning to end, I loved it :)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 15, 2016 11:46 PM BST

Incarnate
Incarnate

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb return to form, 12 April 2016
This review is from: Incarnate (Audio CD)
I've been listening to Killswitch for many years now. Like many others my main introduction to them was Alive Or Just Breathing but my true love of them was sealed properly with the end of heartache.

I have to admit that despite how glad I was that Jesse had rejoined the band instead of another new vocalist my favourite of the two was always Howard so I naturally felt wary of how the bands sound would progress. Jesses return to Killswitch with Disarm The Descent despite having some occasionally brilliant songs for me personally fell flat and I kinda convinced myself that this was probably the start of a decline for the band.

So we come now to Incarnate, after a couple of weeks playing it non stop in the car I have to say I couldn't have been more wrong. This is a superb return to form not just for the band but it also showcases just how far Jesse has progressed as a vocalist. Yes he doesn't sound like Howard however at this stage it doesn't matter, he has nothing to prove and he makes these songs and the band once again his own. What we have here is a nice mixture of everything that over the years has defined the Killswitch sound and incorporates fresh elements whilst paying homage to the early days of AOJB with others. Anyone like me who was divided by disarm the descent, or just thought maybe it wouldn't be the same after having Howard be so prominent for so long, I implore you to put that reservation aside and give this a few listens, I think again like me you'll find yourself falling in love with the band all over again.

Crysis 2 (PC DVD)
Crysis 2 (PC DVD)
Offered by games.empire

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly underwhelming so far..., 31 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Crysis 2 (PC DVD) (Video Game)
Crysis was and still is a phenomenal must have title for the pc, it definitively showed off just how great pc gaming can be with its incredible graphics, gameplay and setting, its only flaw in my mind being that it took an expensive rig to run it (to this day my quad core beast of a machine can't run it on maximum settings without a little lag)I was hooked and a fan from the start, so Crysis 2 was my most anticipated major release for this year by a long shot (with the possible exception of Duke Nukem Forever if it indeed finally comes out)

Now I've just had a 2 hour playthrough so it's possible my first impression isn't a fair one but that's what it is, a first impression. As the title suggests I find it to be underwhelming and even slightly dissapointing. Lets get the good out of the way, the graphics are indeed excellent, however this is where the problem of making the game for the Xbox 360 and PS3 comes in, it's barely customisable which is unheard of for most pc games. In the first you could alter effects, motion blur, texture detail, water detail, you name it. In Crysis 2 all you get is a standard detail setting that's either low, medium, high, very high or extreme. I would've preferred the game had a far more customisable nature so that I could feel like I could get even more detail and performance out of it, as far as I know it doesn't even support direct x11 which is just stupid. It stands it's a little anticlimatic to know that the details I have it set at are literally as high as it'll go. It runs beautifully and looks great, but I feel if Crytek had focused on the pc version instead of the console versions they could've got even more out of it, and make no mistake, they have focused big time on the console versions as made obvious by the opening screen which says adjust your brightness until the image is barely visible on your tv.

Now gameplay wise is where the game completely underwhelms me, in the original cryis I vividly remember standing on top of a huge hill overlooking an enemy settlement, I mapped the entire area out with my binoculars and could approach the base from near enough any direction, I could attack outright from the beach to the left, or try crossing up stream to the right and over the wall, or taking out the petrol station from afar to create a diversion, its Korean jungle setting was wonderful and it made the game vast in scope and a genuine joy to experience. Crysis 2 has none of this so far, in comparison its a corridor shooter that consists of shoot guys in smallish town section, move along, see impressive yet completely uninteractive sequence, shoot guys, move along through linear sewer tunnell, grab tank, drive along road. Its fun don't get me wrong, but again just massively underwhelming when you consider how much fun the original was in comparison, it didn't always need giant sequences, it was so vast in scope and scale that playing it was as much fun as any giant cinematic you saw.

Then we finally come to the story, which frankly I was always a little dissapointed with from the moment the game was announced. The Korean island setting of the original was great, it was like a cross between the suspenseful hidden monster nature of Predator and the badass soldier feel from Halo, it was a classic investigate weird activity on island that goes wrong scenario. Crysis 2 just instead spits on not only the characters and ending from the first by practically ignoring them but changes the setting to a typical alien invasion in an American city setting. I'm not saying it doesn't work, it's pulled off far more convincingly than most other shooters that try it but once again it's just not on par with the superb setting of the first game. Even the aliens are pretty lowsy now, in the first they had this sinister mechanical monster look to them that kinda reminded me of sentinels from The Matrix, in Crysis 2 however so far they look fairly boring and cliched in comparison instead going for the bipedal footsoldier approach. And so far from my initial playthrough I don't really get what's going on as such, yes the aliens have attacked New York but why? who is Gould? why was Prophet helping him? I thought he had gone back to the island in the first? why are Cell bad guys? I can be a little unattentive at times but the story just seems like it's been thrown on as an afterthought to fit these large massively polished sequences together.

On the whole, Crysis 2 isn't a bad game by a long shot. As far as games go it's actually very good and I intend to play through to the end, but the reason I give it 3 out 5 is just that it's not on par with the first at all in my opinion and I my initial dissapointment with this probably won't go away no matter how much I enjoy the game. If you're a pure console gamer with a taste for shoot em ups chances are you'll absolutely love Crysis 2. Pc fanatics like myself though will most likely feel a tad cheated, it's a good game but not great so far. My rating may change in time, but we'll have to see. So far, 3/5.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 5, 2011 9:00 AM GMT