Profile for I have a stalker called Alison Priest from Solihull > Reviews

Content by I have a stalk...

I have a stalker called Alison Priest from Solihull (Devon, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
The Rose of York: Love and War (Unabridged)
The Rose of York: Love and War (Unabridged)
Offered by Audible Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Okish, 13 Oct. 2013
I got the audio book through Audible. It was pretty boring in places, and I found myself cringing in certain bits too (Anne being sent as a servant, the love scenes) etc. It had so much potential, but wasn't great. A couple of times it did pick up, but I found Anne to be a simpering twit, and found myself not liking her. On to Sharon Penman....
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 12, 2014 2:59 PM BST

The Last Days of Richard III and the fate of his DNA: The Book that Inspired the Dig

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 27 Aug. 2013
Fascinating book into the work of John Ashdown-Hill who has been working for a decade uncovering untruths about Richard 3rd. The part about MtDNA was particularly fascinating and I loved hearing about Joy Ibsen's reaction to finding out she was a direct descendant of Richard 3rd. Facts about DNA were also interesting. Overall, I loved this book, it wasn't dull or boring and without this authors work, R3 would not have been found in the car park. Looking forward to reading more of his books on Kindle. (Thank you for putting this on Kindle!!) HIghly recommended.

A Glimpse Of King Richard III
A Glimpse Of King Richard III
by Matthew Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book about Richard III, 27 Aug. 2013
This is a great short into to Richard III. It's really well written, easy to read, but accurate and thoughtful. If you want something to the point without padding and needless info I recommend this. I did know a lot about R3 before I read this but this still contained a fair amount of info I didn't know. Overall I recommend it. Well done Matthew Lewis, hope to see a paperback version on sale at various R3 places i.e Bosworth Visitors Centre, Richard III museum, Leicester Cathedral etc....

The Daughter of Time (Unabridged)
The Daughter of Time (Unabridged)
Offered by Audible Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book about R3, 9 Aug. 2013
I listened to the audio download from Audible read by Derek Jacobi. The first couple of chapters are a bit slow, but overall I loved this book, and I am a fussy reader. Derek's a great narrator, though his american accent is a bit flakey at times. But still love him ;0). I think the whole book is great though, and this is a classic.

Danny Higgins Time Traveller (Time Travelling Kids)
Danny Higgins Time Traveller (Time Travelling Kids)
by Jane Schaffer

4.0 out of 5 stars My son likes it, 5 Aug. 2013
My 8 year old son liked this, we've read him the Code Breaker Danny book. He is history mad so this is ideal for him. He wants to read the other Danny book....so he gave it 4 stars
However, as a parent, my review is different. The time travelling just doesn't seem to have any point to it. The missions are for what? I thought this book better written than the Code Breaker one (different authors I think), but when Danny time travels there just seems to be a sort of anti-climax. Why was he there? What was he doing? After reading it to my son, I can't answer that question. Don't get me wrong, the books are a great idea, I'm just not sure there could have been more plot and direction with historical meaning.

Time Traveller Danny and the Codebreaker (Time Traveller Kids)
Time Traveller Danny and the Codebreaker (Time Traveller Kids)
by Paul Morris

5.0 out of 5 stars My 8yr old son loved it, 10 July 2013
The star rating is from my 8yr old son - he said 5 out of 5. He liked the time-travelling bits the best.

As a parent who read this to him, I thought it was slow to start - too much about picking options at school, and it really only picked up well about 2/3rd of the way through. I thought it was a bit of a missed opportunity to only have Danny at station X a long way through the novel. But as a computer programmer, I am very familiar with Alan Turing and his contribution to the computer world (have read his biography) so was more interested in that. Obviously, it's my son's view that matters the most, and he did like it a lot and says it's great. He's making me order some more from the series as soon as I've finished writing this review.

Harry: The People's Prince
Harry: The People's Prince
by Chris Hutchins

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 28 Jun. 2013
Didn't really contain a massive amount of new info, but it was well written and well balanced. Nice for a book about Harry and not William for a change. I agree with some of the other reviewers that it could have been longer, and could have gone into more depth about his relationships with friends and with William. But overall, worth a read. Glad it was on Kindle.

Miranda's Mount
Miranda's Mount

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable, 28 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Miranda's Mount (Kindle Edition)
I've read a few of this authors books before and this is my favourite now. It's a great romance and has even won a major romance award - well deserved too. I don't want to give anything away in the story, but I highly recommend it.

Morris: A Life With Bells On [DVD] [2009]
Morris: A Life With Bells On [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Derek Jacobi

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but disappointing, 25 Feb. 2013
I've wanted to watch this for a long time but the price of the DVD meant I had to wait until the price dropped. I got my copy 2nd hand on ebay. What a disappointment. It was vaguely funny at times, but I found myself getting bored a lot. It had potential, but didn't quite pass muster. Aiden McArdle was great, and all the actors were actually, but I found myself looking time and again at how long was left before it finished. By the way - not enough Morris dancing in it. Shocking. I do understand that smaller film makers have problems with distribution etc, so I don't like to give bad reviews unless I have to, but sorry, I was disappointed.

William and Kate : The Love Story - A Celebration of the Wedding of the Century
William and Kate : The Love Story - A Celebration of the Wedding of the Century

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and Balanced, 24 Jan. 2013
Robert Jobson gives good information and a balanced view of William and Kate and especially the complex relationship William has with the British press. He is no sycophant and the book is better for it, but is fair to the couple too. So overall a good balanced view of things. If he isn't totally sure, he clearly says so, and explains his reasoning.

Parts that really stood out: the author reminds us that Edwards VIII's abdication was a big deal back then. Something the generations now don't fully understand (including me) and how this has deeply affected the Queen. The details behind W&K's brief split in 2007 were detailed and thorough and the interesting the way the press got wind of it before it was (unofficially) announced.
I also found the chapter about Harry's graduation from Sandhurst and the party very interesting stuff too. Poor Harry!

Overall, I enjoyed reading this book and recommend it even though it only goes up to their engagement. Looking forward to reading more by this author. He has a level head on his shoulders and this makes him a better journalist for it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6