Profile for JT > Reviews

JT

The Sense of an Ending
The Sense of an Ending

4.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing and entertaining, 18 July 2014
Julian Barnes can really write, and this novel is intriguing from the start. I picked it up at a friend's house, read a few pages, went home and bought myself a copy. Easy to devour in a day or two, the story carried me along and I didn't predict the twists and turns. It made me laugh, especially in the first half of the narrative. So I recommend it, however, no five stars. The characters are interesting but I didn't like them enough, or as much at the end as I had in the beginning. The title is apt. Somehow this book doesn't seem to end so much as slowly fade away.

John Barleycorn
John Barleycorn

2.0 out of 5 stars Scrappy, 10 Aug. 2013
This review is from: John Barleycorn (Kindle Edition)
A scrappy autobiography loosely hanging on the idea of the Self and society. I think the writer was lazy in his thesis and in his delivery. Arguably interesting and well written for what it is, because it's Jack London, and he was an interesting man. But he was a gifted writer who could have made the same book a lot better.

The Transformational Power of Fasting: The Way to Spiritual, Physical, and Emotional Rejuvenation

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative scientific and spiritual guide, 26 July 2013
This book gives reliable and reassuring information, important for anyone considering a juice or water fast over several days or weeks.

The author writes in depth on the science of fasting, what happens in the body, and why it is so beneficial. He also offers excellent guidelines for a pre- and post- fast cleansing diet including juice recipes, so that you have a comprehensive plan.

I enjoyed the wisdom offered on how to approach the fast mentally and spiritually, the advice clearly comes from personal experience, and will help you get the most out of your fast.

In the earlier chapters of the book, Buhner outlines some of the many and major ways a diet of processed food and common pharmaceutical drugs are harmful to body, mind and spirit. If this is news to you, you'll find that part useful too.

Happy fasting.

Secrets of the Lost Mode of Prayer: The Hidden Power of Beauty, Blessings, Wisdom, and Hurt

4.0 out of 5 stars offers value and truth for all, whatever your beliefs, 15 Jun. 2013
The message of this book is powerful, positive and easy to absorb. Braden offers information and understanding from several religious and spiritual traditions to reveal the process of effective prayer. He concludes that we have the ability to live in a state of prayer at all moments of our lives, and can learn this art for the benefit of our selves and our environment.

This book is a useful and relevant guide whatever your beliefs.

I would recommend this book to anyone hoping to deepen their understanding of what we do when we meditate or pray. To anyone wishing to expand what it's possible to achieve through prayer. To anyone who's become disillusioned with the act of prayer. And to anyone inspired by the idea of interacting lovingly with their reality, in order to raise the experience of life for humanity as a whole.

For the truth it offers, I recommend this book.

I left off 1 star because I felt some of the anecdotes don't support the message as well as they could. Braden's feelings about the events aren't really conveyed by his descriptions, and a lot of exclamation marks don't make up for that. As a reader, I want to experience the event too, not just hear that the writer thought it was amazing or beautiful. However I think the personal nature of the examples will be a source of charm for readers who already follow this author's work.

Beyond Nostalgia
Beyond Nostalgia

1.0 out of 5 stars Unlovely, 16 May 2013
This review is from: Beyond Nostalgia (Kindle Edition)
This is Tom Winton's debut novel and I think he would have benefited from some advice on writing and some careful editing before it was released on Amazon.
I have the impression that the writer has feeling for his story, but I couldn't enjoy the characters, the prose, or the plot. I can't recommend this, there are so many better books out there.

Eating Air
Eating Air

2.0 out of 5 stars Initially absorbing, ultimately disappointing, 16 May 2013
This review is from: Eating Air (Kindle Edition)
I began the book enjoying the writing, which has personality and juice.There are some intriguing characters and compelling scenes. Also one or two interesting social observations. This seemed a good choice for a relatively absorbing read.
Donny and the ballerina, are unique characters. But they are accidentally embroiled in events rather than participating, so they have little motive in the story. And the 'activists' motives are also vague. The ballerina lacks real personality. Also, after great detail in London we then skip over decades in several other countries, as if we miss the best of the action. It left me confused about where the writer was trying to go. The gestures towards magical realism, somehow jarred with the rest of the narrative. In the end I came away a disappointed. It didn't seem believable. And the irrelevant addition of the child with Down's syndrome was a cheap shot at pulling heartstrings when the plot itself had failed to do so.
I think Pauline Melville is a good writer and I would like to read more of her work. But I came away with nothing from this effort.
I would possibly have given up to four starts if it had been out of ten.

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't live up to its title, 17 Mar. 2013
The idea for this book is sadly better than the book itself. It is an entertaining and easy read, but the characters lack depth and conviction. This writer's style and ideas are quite immature, and there are inconsistencies in the story. Jonasson is an imaginative and promising writer and I hope he comes into his own with his next novel.

Light Emerging: The Journey of Personal Healing
Light Emerging: The Journey of Personal Healing

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book, 17 Mar. 2013
This book is written with immense wisdom and clarity, and makes sense of the human experience - physically, emotionally and spiritually. It will open your awareness to enable personal expansion and transformation. This approach to healing makes sense of past trauma and the painful experiences we all encounter in life. Barbara Ann's writing is a pleasure to read and return to over and over.
Appropriate for those new to the concept of holistic health, or for experienced students of healing. I also recommend Hands of Light by the same author, especially for those new to the subject.